First Name
Lamar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 16 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Occupation
Small business owner
Has anyone on the forum replaced their 8.4" premium radio with an aftermarket unit (in my case an Insane Audio JL3001) and attempted to connect the O.E.M. front trail cam. Most aftermarket units (Android or other) come with a "camera break-out box on the new harness and you plug in the single coax that comes from the Central Video Processing Unit (behind the rear seat) into the box (red FAKRA connector). The box I've been dealing with has a single yellow male video-out cable that plugs into a female video-in plug on another part of the harness. This for the factory back-up camera and it works great. But, since both front and rear factory video feeds come to the dash on a single coax with a FAKRA connector, how do you get video signal for the front camera? The supplied harness also has a front camera female video-in plug, but there is no male video-out RCA to complete the connection. The front and rear camera icons appear on the Rock Cam app, but the front cam icon is inoperative. Insane Audio even replaced my JL3001 with a new JL4001 which I will be installing as soon as I get this camera problem solved. I was led to believe that the new unit would solve this hookup problem....it did not. Same type harness, upgraded radio. If anyone out there has successfully connected their factory trail cam to an aftermarket radio, I would really like to know the procedure. I have not added the front camera....it came from the factory as an option on my '21 Mojave. Thanks so much and any info will be appreciated.
Sponsored

dinosaurkun

First Name
dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM-ordered
I'll be honest...I haven't hooked it all up yet; however, the online instructions note that you can connect the red Fakra cable from the OEM reverse camera to the IA JL4001's camera module box.
I can confirm that the camera module box does have a red Fakra connection on it.
It's referenced on step 9.

Here's a link to the online instructions manual: JL4001_Manual_compressed.pdf.
If you delete the "_compressed" portion in the link...you can get the full-sized PDF.

OP
OP
AU72

AU72

First Name
Lamar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small business owner
I'll be honest...I haven't hooked it all up yet; however, the online instructions note that you can connect the red Fakra cable from the OEM reverse camera to the IA JL4001's camera module box.
I can confirm that the camera module box does have a red Fakra connection on it.
It's referenced on step 9.

Here's a link to the online instructions manual: JL4001_Manual_compressed.pdf.
If you delete the "_compressed" portion in the link...you can get the full-sized PDF.
Thanks...I had already printed the instructions. The problem is that there is no front camera RCA plug coming out of the camera box. There is a female RCA front video jack on one of the harnesses, but nothing to plug into the damn thing. Rear camera works fine. I/A told me that they were unaware of the single cable video system that Jeep uses for both front and rear cameras. I told them that the system had been used for over two years.....go figure!

dinosaurkun

First Name
dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM-ordered
From my understanding of some threads on installing the OEM Front Trail Cam as a DIY project, the front and rear cameras connect to the CVPM on the back panel of the cab. Then, the CVPM connects to the factory head unit via a single Fakra cable for the video feeds.

Now...how to access the feed from the OEM Front Trail Cam specifically with the aftermarket head unit, I have no idea. I'm still waiting for my Gladiator to be built.

OP
OP
AU72

AU72

First Name
Lamar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small business owner
From my understanding of some threads on installing the OEM Front Trail Cam as a DIY project, the front and rear cameras connect to the CVPM on the back panel of the cab. Then, the CVPM connects to the factory head unit via a single Fakra cable for the video feeds.

Now...how to access the feed from the OEM Front Trail Cam specifically with the aftermarket head unit, I have no idea. I'm still waiting for my Gladiator to be built.
That is correct. Both cameras feed to the CVPM behind the rear seat and a single coax with a red FAKRA connector is output to the factory 8.4" radio in the dash. I thinks the Phoenix Automotive SC7862 for our Jeep takes care of the problem internally, but I'm not sure yet....still doing some research. Very frustrating!
Sponsored