Sponsored

Factory Rock Rails vs. Jeep Performance Rock Rails

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
The thing about rock sliders is if you're going to use them to slide over rocks you do not want too cheap out. You may save a few hundred bucks by going with a less expensive option but you also increase your likelihood of body damage.

If you're just looking for a rugged looking step then sure go cheap.

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
I just purchased the Jeep Performance Parts Rock Rails 82215606AB to replace my stock Rubicon rails.

I could have gone with a less expensive but just as strong or stronger option but I wanted to try a Jeep product this time around. They have a 3 1/4" "step" which I think it a good compromise between the rock rail job they have to do but also have a step to use.

They more resemble the "boat slider" style rock rail but don't tuck all the way into the frame. They do not have any option to insert a farm jack(hi-lift) into them to lift off of and you won't be able to use a farm jack underneath them the way they are angled. It would be dangerous and most certainly would slide off the foot. I've used my hi-lift maybe three times in a couple decades so not a huge deal for me. I've never tried hard enough to get stuck where a hi-lift jack was the only option! :)

Installing them Saturday and I'll post some shots here as well.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Just came across some for sale locally for $600... so tempting, I wish I hadn't spent $350 on the RC steps already... but maybe I'll still do it anyways...

Sponsored

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are they mounted to the frame?
No. They are mounted in the same fashion as the normal Rubicon rails. 12 bolts - 8 in the pinch seams horizontally and 4 in the tub vertically.

Dakarider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee (getting Gladiator soon)
Occupation
Network Engineer
So those Performance Rock Rails look good and seem to be wide enough to be a good step. I'm strongly considering these as well. Also - is the mounting hardware separate?

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So those Performance Rock Rails look good and seem to be wide enough to be a good step. I'm strongly considering these as well. Also - is the mounting hardware separate?
In the box you will get all the hardware to install them. It's the same as the hardware already used for the stock Rubicon rock rails if you have those.

Donato

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator (current), 2013 Wrangler (sold)

I have them on my truck. Just wide enough to use as a step. Its really nice to have with a soft top cause you can stand on them and fold the top back n forth with almost no effort. They seem to be about the same build quality as the OEM Rubi sliders, but just abit heavier cause of the added material.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm really liking the look of the upgraded OEMs, but not liking the price.

I'm going with these.
DV8 Rock Sliders

Similar look, but way cheaper. Materials sound pretty reasonable.
I don't know if you already got these, but all those bolt heads sticking out of the bottom of the rails sounds like an invitation for a problem.

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I'm not a fan of pinch seam mounted sliders if they're going to be used as actual sliders. In my experience, they deform the body panels after a few impacts. But if you're using them for just a step then you should be fine.

RHINO79

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I don't know if you already got these, but all those bolt heads sticking out of the bottom of the rails sounds like an invitation for a problem.
Gotta agree with you on that!

'22JTRD

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Real Estate
I gave the Mopar Performance Rails serious consideration but decided to go with Frame Mounted Rails instead.

Went with the LOD Destroyer Slider with integrated steps

I posted a detailed install thread with pics

Jeep Gladiator Factory Rock Rails vs. Jeep Performance Rock Rails 20230210_160220
Sponsored