Sponsored

Fully Enclosed Gladiator

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Updated with link to build thread:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...oneer-spartan-build-7-seater-gladiator.29340/

In the TFL video below, they interview a guy who turned his Gladiator into a 7-seat SUV by enclosing the whole thing. Its pretty cool how he did it all. However, he left the bulk head in place, so his kids have to crawl over the bulk head to get to the third row of seating in the way-back. I also want to fully enclose the Gladiator, but I want to cut out the bulk head between the cab and the bed, remove the back seats, and have a 7-foot bed. I understand that sounds a little crazy, but I have my reasons. The end product would be similar to the Toyota Landcruiser Troopy - but longer (the Troopy is not available in North America). I know that the cab and the bed in a pickup truck are designed to articulate independently, but the guy in the video said they only got 1/8 of an inch of disarticulation, so there is not a lot of independent movement between the cab and the bed in a Gladiator. The guy in the video welded a roll cage into the back (to protect his kids), and welded that rear roll cage to the existing one in the front to create greater torsional rigidity and reduce the independent movement between the front and rear of the truck. Would it be possible to weld the bed to the cab after removing the bulk head, and reinforce it somehow, or would the movement of the rear end rip apart the weld?

Is this a totally absurd idea? Has anyone ever tried to do this? Does it make more sense to look for an SUV and do a solid front axle swap? Most of the SUVs that are as long as the Gladiator (I want a 7-foot long flat space behind the front seats) are much wider, and will not fit as well on Colorado trails. As far as I know, there hasn't been an SUV sold in America with a solid front axle since the 1991 Chevy Suburban. The Gladiator is perfect for my intended use, except that 5-foot bed.

Thanks for any advice, and no, I am not sniffing glue right now ;)

https://tfloffroad.com/2021/04/video-this-7-seater-jeep-gladiator-is-the-ultimate-off-road-minivan/
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
I saw that video too... and thought the same, so much work to take that shortcut!
I think you’d have to reinforce the body a lot, maybe frame too... but I wouldn’t do it if an open interior wasn’t in the end product...

good or bad? - It will not be a cost effective idea:

look up the Jeep Grand Cherokee L or Grand wagoner that might do the trick too...

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I have a buddy that installed a third row seat in the back of his JKU by using a TJ rear seat. It was pretty slick. Seems like a 4dr JL with something like he did would be an easier option.

OP
OP

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I saw that video too... and thought the same, so much work to take that shortcut!
I think you’d have to reinforce the body a lot, maybe frame too... but I wouldn’t do it if an open interior wasn’t in the end product...

good or bad? - It will not be a cost effective idea:

look up the Jeep Grand Cherokee L or Grand wagoner that might do the trick too...
Yeah, its not going to be cost effective... Thanks for your reply!

Cshadow2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting grey sport S JT
it would probably be easier to get a defender 110, you are probably going to spend as much building what you are talking about. I’ve seen a bunch odd land cruisers on bring a trailer lately, but they are all 20 plus years old grey market imports.

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
In the TFL video below, they interview a guy who turned his Gladiator into a 7-seat SUV by enclosing the whole thing. Its pretty cool how he did it all. However, he left the bulk head in place, so his kids have to crawl over the bulk head to get to the third row of seating in the way-back. I also want to fully enclose the Gladiator, but I want to cut out the bulk head between the cab and the bed, remove the back seats, and have a 7-foot bed. I understand that sounds a little crazy, but I have my reasons. The end product would be similar to the Toyota Landcruiser Troopy - but longer (the Troopy is not available in North America). I know that the cab and the bed in a pickup truck are designed to articulate independently, but the guy in the video said they only got 1/8 of an inch of disarticulation, so there is not a lot of independent movement between the cab and the bed in a Gladiator. The guy in the video welded a roll cage into the back (to protect his kids), and welded that rear roll cage to the existing one in the front to create greater torsional rigidity and reduce the independent movement between the front and rear of the truck. Would it be possible to weld the bed to the cab after removing the bulk head, and reinforce it somehow, or would the movement of the rear end rip apart the weld?

Is this a totally absurd idea? Has anyone ever tried to do this? Does it make more sense to look for an SUV and do a solid front axle swap? Most of the SUVs that are as long as the Gladiator (I want a 7-foot long flat space behind the front seats) are much wider, and will not fit as well on Colorado trails. As far as I know, there hasn't been an SUV sold in America with a solid front axle since the 1991 Chevy Suburban. The Gladiator is perfect for my intended use, except that 5-foot bed.

Thanks for any advice, and no, I am not sniffing glue right now ;)

https://tfloffroad.com/2021/04/video-this-7-seater-jeep-gladiator-is-the-ultimate-off-road-minivan/

Good idea. Well, kind of a fantasy. And unless you have too much money it's an idea that's best left inside your head IMO.

There are other vehicles ("SUVs") that you can do much of what a Jeep can do and they're already 3-row ready.

enrico_pallazzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 Scrambler & 21 Mojave
Occupation
Opera singer, occasional umpire
This is what I've wanted as well. I removed the bulkhead of my Scrambler and added back seats, but there is not enough room for my dog and gear. Another way of looking at it is that I want a JL with. 5’ bed behind rear seats and no bulkhead.

I thought about a D110 but stupidly expensive for what you get.

Sponsored

OP
OP

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Why not get an Excursion? For the kind of money you’ll spend you can get a low mileage 7.3 with tons of space, solid axles, and money left to build it out.
That's a good suggestion. I had looked at the Chevy Suburban, but the last year of the solid front axle was 1991 (too old). I had forgotten about the Excursion; the last year of the solid front axle was 2008. That's not too old. Its a really big vehicle though - not a lot of fun on most of the trails in Colorado. I don't know anything about these SUVs. Looks like you could get a 7.3 liter diesel or a 6.8 liter 10 cylinder gas engine. All automatics.

For me, the Gladiator is a great vehicle, for the following reasons: (1) the perfect size, (2) has solid front & rear axles, (3) is available with lockers front and rear, (4) disconnecting front sway bar, (5) a manual transfer case (which is my strong preference), and (5) easily accommodates 35s or 37s. A manual transmission is available (my strong preference), but its only in the 3.6. A diesel engine is also available, which drives great - but only with an auto. On the plus side, its the best auto I've ever test-driven (never owned an auto). In summary, the Gladiator has a lot going for it that a 2008 Excursion does not. Having said that, I recognize that trying to turn a Gladiator into an enclosed flatbed is going to be more trouble and money than its worth.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. No need for anyone else to weigh in and tell me I'm wasting my time and money ;) However, if anyone has actually tried removing the bulk head in any pickup truck, I'd love to hear about your experience. Thanks folks!

Reactions: mog
OP
OP

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
This is what I've wanted as well. I removed the bulkhead of my Scrambler and added back seats, but there is not enough room for my dog and gear. Another way of looking at it is that I want a JL with. 5’ bed behind rear seats and no bulkhead.

I thought about a D110 but stupidly expensive for what you get.
Any problems after you removed the bulkhead from your Scambler? Yeah, I'd settle for either a D110 or a Landcruiser Troopy if they were realistically in the marketplace. However, the money and/or the hassle of acquisition is prohibitive. I don't even know if they make a Troopy that is left-hand drive. I drove a Troopy for a month in New Zealand and loved it. The Gladiator is actually longer than both of these, which for me, is a plus.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I have a buddy that installed a third row seat in the back of his JKU by using a TJ rear seat. It was pretty slick. Seems like a 4dr JL with something like he did would be an easier option.
Owning a JKU with a third row, its great for dogs, acceptable for kids and useless for anyone else. There is no real leg room or foot space.

To the OP, making the gladiator into a baby suburban/excursion feels like a fools errand. If I had the mandate to build a functional 8 seater I would start with a gladiator and find a JLU with a trashed nose. Off goes the gladiator bed and tub bulkhead, graft on the JLU tub rear. Idealy find a second JL with rear damage and you could make a 7 door 8 seater with 6 full sized doors. But that's a long and expensive road to fit more butts.

Happycoop

First Name
Coop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
That's a good suggestion. I had looked at the Chevy Suburban, but the last year of the solid front axle was 1991 (too old). I had forgotten about the Excursion; the last year of the solid front axle was 2008. That's not too old. Its a really big vehicle though - not a lot of fun on most of the trails in Colorado. I don't know anything about these SUVs. Looks like you could get a 7.3 liter diesel or a 6.8 liter 10 cylinder gas engine. All automatics.

For me, the Gladiator is a great vehicle, for the following reasons: (1) the perfect size, (2) has solid front & rear axles, (3) is available with lockers front and rear, (4) disconnecting front sway bar, (5) a manual transfer case (which is my strong preference), and (5) easily accommodates 35s or 37s. A manual transmission is available (my strong preference), but its only in the 3.6. A diesel engine is also available, which drives great - but only with an auto. On the plus side, its the best auto I've ever test-driven (never owned an auto). In summary, the Gladiator has a lot going for it that a 2008 Excursion does not. Having said that, I recognize that trying to turn a Gladiator into an enclosed flatbed is going to be more trouble and money than its worth.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. No need for anyone else to weigh in and tell me I'm wasting my time and money ;) However, if anyone has actually tried removing the bulk head in any pickup truck, I'd love to hear about your experience. Thanks folks!
Understood, and as a manual transmission Gladiator owner I can empathize with you. That said, I know the Excursion platform well and it just plain does the "giant SUV" role better. They're big as can be, but I've wheeled with enough of them to know they can do everything but the tightest trails. Forget anything newer than 02-03 (you want the 7.3 which they stopped in late 02). The auto tranny is the weak point, but most Ex's you find have already had this replaced.

I'm all for seeing cool custom builds...just also aware of the cost savings if you can channel that energy into something that's almost what you wanted.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Not even remotely interested. Although, the workmanship is authentically high quality.
Sponsored