DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Hi all,

I just finished installing a set of Venom LED driving Lights from Lightforce, and I'm really impressed with the quality of the kit and the ease of install.
The Jeep LED lights are already the best I have ever driven with, and these driving lights still add an enormous amount of light.

I mounted them on the front bumper to keep them out of my line of sight, so there is no glare from the hood and so they're protected by the bumper hoop.
With the plug-n-play patch harness provided wiring was extremely simple, and I didn't have to cut or splice any factory wiring which I really like.
(I would prefer not to cut into factory wiring on a brand new vehicle if possible)

These lights push out 1 lux of light at 850meters! (half a mile), so the difference is staggering - I'll post some comparison photos with them on and off as soon as it stops raining!

-Dan
Those are really nice! I went with Baja Designs, but I almost went with Lightforce. Love their products!
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I just finished installing a set of Venom LED driving Lights from Lightforce, and I'm really impressed with the quality of the kit and the ease of install.

With the plug-n-play patch harness provided wiring was extremely simple, and I didn't have to cut or splice any factory wiring which I really like.
(I would prefer not to cut into factory wiring on a brand new vehicle if possible)

-Dan
I seen the video on U-tube. I gave it a 👍 and posted. Then figured I'd post on here. I need to check in on getting the trigger wire plug adapter for my Aux lights, then move the lights wiring over to a 15 amp wire.
I have a MPPT controller I was going to use for my Aux battery and solar after seeing the one you used is a better option. I'll be using that one with my RV solar system not my JT 👍 I was going need more components to wire in the 36 A.H. battery I have until you showed that one from Renogy.

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler Rubicon, JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Overlander
Hi everyone,

It's been a lot of work on my Gladiator build so far, and I have a lot to go. Of course, it's taking longer than I thought, and covid is messing with my plans.
In this video I give an update, and discuss a lot of the future modifications coming like suspension, an aux fuel tank, a water tank, rear canopy and more!

I had hoped that flying to Australia would get me away from COVID, but it doesn't look that that is the case.
As things sit now, crossing borders in Australia is going to be a lot harder than crossing borders in Africa!

I'll get the build wrapped up and hit the road ASAP and see what happens.

-Dan

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

It's been a lot of work on my Gladiator build so far, and I have a lot to go. Of course, it's taking longer than I thought, and covid is messing with my plans.
In this video I give an update, and discuss a lot of the future modifications coming like suspension, an aux fuel tank, a water tank, rear canopy and more!

I'll get the build wrapped up and hit the road ASAP and see what happens.

-Dan
Hi Dan, been following your YT for a few years now. If anyone can figure a way to get it done it is you so keep up the good work and look forward of you sharing the adventure!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi all,
Steel wheels have a ton of strength advantages over aluminium, and for getting as remote as possible on the planet I would never use anything else.

Something most people don't think about is the laws in different countries around the world. These Mopar Steel wheels will keep my new Yokohama Tires completely inside the guards, which is super important here in Australia so I get to spend my time actually enjoying my trip and not fighting with the authorities!

I'm editing together the install video of these steel wheels and X-AT tires now!
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Build & Adventure - 18 months around Australia with The Road Chose Me DSC07557-sm
-Dan

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all,
Steel wheels have a ton of strength advantages over aluminium, and for getting as remote as possible on the planet I would never use anything else.

Something most people don't think about is the laws in different countries around the world. These Mopar Steel wheels will keep my new Yokohama Tires completely inside the guards, which is super important here in Australia so I get to spend my time actually enjoying my trip and not fighting with the authorities!

I'm editing together the install video of these steel wheels and X-AT tires now!
DSC07557-sm.jpg
-Dan
We've got a couple states that have laws against tires sticking out from fenders, too. That's why I'm running stock rims with the 35's on my JL.

There are advantages, too. It is easier on wheel bearings, less debris thrown onto the body, and I've not had any rubbing, even at full flex and full lock.

Those tires look like they'll be great!

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
The Wheels and tire install video is online now, I think they look great and I'm sure they'll give me no problems!

I've chosen to run 285/75R17 tires (33x11.5) for a whole host of reasons I get into in the video.
Given how tough these tires are, I'm confident I'll only need the one set to explore all of Australia!

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Living my Dream
I dreamed about it for years and years while sitting at a desk, always thinking "I wish I could do that".

Then one day I got serious about making it a priority - saving money, planning, saving, organizing gear, cutting out stuff I didn't need (TV, Phone, eating out, alcohol), saving and dreaming.

Then I simply started doing it, and I have not looked back since!

-Dan

Jeeping Schnauzers

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiater
Occupation
Self Employed
" alcohol " Let's not get Crazy, might Not be a Need Like Food. But still Come on Man!! Be decent

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi all,

Continuing the build, on this episode I install a CB radio into my Jeep Gladiator.
I've never had one in my vehicles before thanks to what I call "The Ghostbusters problem" (Who Ya Gunna Call?), but here in Australia UHF CB radios are actually mandatory for some of the more remote desert crossings I'm planning.
I spend my time on this episode figuring out exactly where to mount the radio to best meet my needs, then get stuck in!

I'm *still* waiting for a couple of the biggest pieces of this puzzle, though there is forward progress and I'm getting close to hitting the road!
I'd rather get out on adventures sooner (that's the point, after all), so even if I go on a few advenures sort of close to Dad's house during September without the build being 100% complete I think that will be best. Then I'll circle back to Dad's house and finish everything off with a week in the garage before going further afield - if Covid restricitons will let me! Australia is *really* struggling right now, with well over half the population under extremely strict lockdown.

-Dan

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi all,

Continuing the build, on this episode I install a CB radio into my Jeep Gladiator.
I've never had one in my vehicles before thanks to what I call "The Ghostbusters problem" (Who Ya Gunna Call?), but here in Australia UHF CB radios are actually mandatory for some of the more remote desert crossings I'm planning.
I spend my time on this episode figuring out exactly where to mount the radio to best meet my needs, then get stuck in!

I'm *still* waiting for a couple of the biggest pieces of this puzzle, though there is forward progress and I'm getting close to hitting the road!
I'd rather get out on adventures sooner (that's the point, after all), so even if I go on a few advenures sort of close to Dad's house during September without the build being 100% complete I think that will be best. Then I'll circle back to Dad's house and finish everything off with a week in the garage before going further afield - if Covid restricitons will let me! Australia is *really* struggling right now, with well over half the population under extremely strict lockdown.

-Dan
How much power are CB radios allowed to have in Australia?

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi all,

Putting branding stickers all over an overland vehicle is a controversial topic, especially for an international trip where safety is a concern.
On one hand it's good to have a vehicle that stands out so nobody will mess with it, while on the other hand it can be advantagoues to blend in as much as possible.

In this video I run through the pros and cons to branding your vehicle, show you what I've done previously and why, and then show the branding I've decided to go with for my Australian Jeep Gladiator.
Finally, I'll show you how to actually apply them, and the lessons I learned doing so - including a not so successful attempt.

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi All,
After months of work, I just had a custom canopy installed on the bed of my Gladiator.
The goal is to keep everything in the bed out of the rain, sun and dust, while keeping it extremely lightweight - so it's made of canvas.

In this episode I give a detailed walk through of the pros and cons, and why I've chosen to go this way.

There are a few more major pieces of the build I'm still waiting for, and covid lockdowns here are now severe, which is going to have a very big impact on the trip.
Like my previous expeditions, I will just have to find a way!

-Dan

OP
OP
Dan Grec

Dan Grec

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theroadchoseme.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Overlander
Hi all,

My latest project on the Gladiator has been to build and wire charging blocks to keep all my electronics charged up and installing lights on the inside for convenience.

It's funny how the small "insignificant" projects are the ones that take the most time on an overland build!

-Dan
Sponsored