Sponsored

Gladiator Ownership: Day 1...

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Well, I did it. After owning 3 JKU's over the past years and switching each one of them for a sports car I decided to come back to the Jeep side with a new Gladiator. So... what did I trade for the Jeep? I traded in a Dodge Viper that I barely drove because it was hot inside the cabin, low to the ground, and felt like an 80s Dodge.

Day 1 went very well! I started looking for flights and found the best day in the week to fly there when tickets were dropped down to $21.70 including fees and taxes. Yes, I'm unsure of how that is profitable for the company but big thanks to Spirit Airlines! I love these guys!
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Ownership: Day 1... IMG_0565

I flew to Atlanta and grabbed a beautiful (.... just kidding) Altima for my 2 hour trek to Stivers Chrysler Jeep. I had a deal made on the phone and met with my salesperson who was absolutely amazing. He went over the car explained all of the details and sent me on my way. Here is the new Gladiator Sport with no power windows/door locks but with the Max Tow. After owning a few Jeeps I love the feel of roll up windows etc. It's not an Escalade, but I wasn't looking for one! (My beautiful rental, pump #4).
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Ownership: Day 1... IMG_0570.JPG

The scenery was absolutely great and I barely hit any rain on the way down. Alabama treated me well! I alternated my speed between 65-80 and averaged 17.5MPG according to the computer when i rolled back in in FL.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Ownership: Day 1... IMG_0575.JPG

Before I left for the trip, I had browsed all of the local social media to see if there was anything of interest and finally struck gold. Really wanted a Rubicon hood and was VERY lucky to find one already painted black in Tampa. I flew into ATL with nothing but some money in my pocket and a wallet. When I got to Tampa it was already 10PM but luckily the owner waited for me. I hit up the local Walmart for my $17 roll of packaging bubbles and wrapped up the hood pretty well. For those interested, the hood is a PERFECT fit inside the bed. with less than 1/2 an inch to spare on each end after the bubble wrap. Woke up the next day and started the installation.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Ownership: Day 1... IMG_0615.JPG

Luckily my bullet antenna had come in as well so I was able to knock that out at the same time....
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Ownership: Day 1... IMG_0617

So whats next? The Jeep is going to receive a 4.5 EVO lift on 38x15.5x20's. I think I'm going to go with Black Rhino wheels this time around. I know they had some rusting issues back in the day but from what I understand they got a lot better at it.

What do I think of the Jeep? I think it is absolutely amazing! It rides really soft on the stock suspension components and small wheels. I know I will not retain this when the build is complete but wow I'm impressed. I went with a soft top specifically this time around as well. I liked my hard top on my last JKU but I did not like the freedom panels. They were a pain to remove and store in the back and inevitably gained some scratches during my ownership no matter how careful I had been. The 8 speed seems to be doing its job well and with the 4.10's it has pickup and go. I love the small bed but my only regret is that I did not go with the bedliner from Jeep directly. I think I'm going to see about getting it done sometime this week. I have been seeing a lot of you guys rolling around with the Rugged Ridge. I find the key funny because it has absolutely no buttons! I'm excited to continue my journey into Gladiator ownership and continue building the Jeep exactly to how I want. I took it for its first ride with the soft top down yesterday and remembered why Jeeps are so damn special. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, manual, soft top, black
That sounds like an awesome trip! Welcome to the gladiator crew! Nice choice of options. Thats gonna be a great truck to build on. My last truck was a bone basic a work truck I could find. Crank windows never bothered me either.

smurraybhm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 High Altitude
Occupation
University Admin
Thought for sure you were going to tells us your windshield was cracked on the way home. Congrats on your purchase, loving mine.

OP
OP
slowstang305

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
That sounds like an awesome trip! Welcome to the gladiator crew! Nice choice of options. Thats gonna be a great truck to build on. My last truck was a bone basic a work truck I could find. Crank windows never bothered me either.
Thank you Tiny! The crank windows never bothered me either. I had a basic bare bone JKU once I used for a build before and went Rubicon the next time around and honestly missed my crank windows. No more GF to keep opening and closing the windows nonstop to throw a hair out of the car LOL Now you got to rollllll!!!!!

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I just ordered a new Sport w/the crank windows. Figured doors off in the summer (live in Oklahoma). Put them back on for the winter, and who rolls the windows down in the winter?

Sponsored

OP
OP
slowstang305

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Thought for sure you were going to tells us your windshield was cracked on the way home. Congrats on your purchase, loving mine.
Oh trust me that was my biggest fear! We all know how brittle the windshields on Jeeps can be with the almost vertical angle of the windshield. Did they improve the quality of the windshields over the JK platform or is it the same thing now?

OP
OP
slowstang305

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I just ordered a new Sport w/the crank windows. Figured doors off in the summer (live in Oklahoma). Put them back on for the winter, and who rolls the windows down in the winter?
I don't think you will regret it honestly. I love having crank windows! Its a bit of a pain with no power door locks since you cant close the doors from a distance but other than that its not bad. If you are going to be doorless quite a bit then of course you won't even notice LOL

OP
OP
slowstang305

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
DAY 2:

Been looking over what I want for this build. The next item on the list is interior. I just ordered the Katzkin leather seat covers in black with silver stitching. Super excited for them to come in so i can get that started. I assume taking the seats out is also easy in the JT platform just like the JK. Not sure how long shipping will take but since these have already been made for another customer I'm hoping I get them by next weekend.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Ownership: Day 1... s-l400

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Ownership: Day 1... s-l1600 (2)

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Just plan on getting the Gorilla Glass replacement. https://hyperformanceglassproducts.com/
Oh trust me that was my biggest fear! We all know how brittle the windshields on Jeeps can be with the almost vertical angle of the windshield. Did they improve the quality of the windshields over the JK platform or is it the same thing now?

OP
OP
slowstang305

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Just plan on getting the Gorilla Glass replacement. https://hyperformanceglassproducts.com/
Looks like an extra $700 + install. Hoping the stock windshield lasts me but you never know. In FL windshields are covered under insurance with no increase in policy cost up to a few times a year I believe. Never had to do that before and hoping I never have to.

Sponsored

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I don't think you will regret it honestly. I love having crank windows! Its a bit of a pain with no power door locks since you cant close the doors from a distance but other than that its not bad. If you are going to be doorless quite a bit then of course you won't even notice LOL
It's not intended for everyday use; kids are all grown and gone, wife hates it, so it'll be just me. I'm 62, and I know what crank windows are.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I kept My Viper and added the JT to the stable, no regrets on either. Nice rig.

Bruce

OP
OP
slowstang305

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I kept My Viper and added the JT to the stable, no regrets on either. Nice rig.

Bruce
What year is your Viper? Would love to see it!