GMRS handheld or permanent

five0.4tluv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gobi JTR and '17 JKU
I have a Cobra 75WTX in the JKU but I think I want something more portable in my Gladiator. I think in general on the trails the Midland GTX line would be fine and on the road the range would be acceptable 10-15mi. Thoughts or other things that would sway me to permanent? TIA
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Really it would just be higher Watt output and better antennas would be the main reason. Also wouldn't have to worry about the inside of the truck messing with your signal at all. Only other thing would probably be not having to worry about your battery.

I have been going back and forth for months on a radio for mine and am no closer, lol.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If you use GMRS frequently, hard mounted without question. With ham and CB, you can do an external antenna and dramatically improve the range of a 5W handheld. With GMRS, you could do the same except that since they also broadcast on FRS, they by law cannot have a removable antenna so I have yet to actually see one that has this option.

You have to remember that your Jeep (and any vehicle, really) is basically a faraday cage and will kill your range on a handheld. Where my top of the line handheld Midlands couldn't hear the front of the group less than a mile away in hilly, on-road terrain, I could hit someone waiting for us 7 miles up the mountain[ish] (...let's be real it's VA) with a 15W hard mounted Midland and a +6dB antenna on the fender. My handheld wouldn't even open the squelch until we were within 2 miles even with his elevated position.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
If you use GMRS frequently, hard mounted without question...
Exactly. Forget the handheld in the vehicle. I use the Midland MXT-275 with a Midland MXTA26 antenna. Good range, clear transmissions. You could even use the magnet antenna that comes with the radio and be better off than a handheld. If you go with the stock antenna, the radio is completely portable because it plugs into the cigarette lighter for power. No need to hard wire anything.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I run the MXT275 in both the JK and JT. I likei t cause its a remote head unit and small like my CB

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
And just to throw it in there if you're debating about the convenient as all hell 15W MX275 vs the more powerful 40w MX400, that's only about a 4dB signal gain with all that extra power. Not something you'll likely notice in practice like you will with lower frequencies (like 2m ham or CB) unless you're really stretching range for a repeater or something.

drkshaw

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Occupation
Emergency Management
How do these compare with MURS or HAM radios? I want them for family communications in an emergency situation. I'm leaning toward a HAM radio such as the BTECH DMR-6X2 (DMR and Analog) VHF and UHF. I want a handheld unit so I'm not tied to the JT. I would give simpler HAM radios to my family with chargers and instructions, perhaps the Mengshen Baofeng or similar.

I'm just starting the learning process and want maximum range. Your advice would be appreciated!

1594269057215.png

1594269080381.png

1594269232021.png

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
How do these compare with MURS or HAM radios? I want them for family communications in an emergency situation. I'm leaning toward a HAM radio such as the BTECH DMR-6X2 (DMR and Analog) VHF and UHF. I want a handheld unit so I'm not tied to the JT. I would give simpler HAM radios to my family with chargers and instructions, perhaps the Mengshen Baofeng or similar.

I'm just starting the learning process and want maximum range. Your advice would be appreciated!

1594269057215.png

1594269080381.png

1594269232021.png
To give units to your family all members must have a ham license.

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees

MURS is limited to 2 watts and 5 channels.
GMRS handhelds have upto 5 watts and 22 - 30 channels (including repeater inputs.)

For your use I wouldn't recommend ham radios. GMRS would be better and a single license covers your immediate family. You can get both handheld and mobile radios, with mobile radios being capable of up to 50 watts. GMRS is close to the 70cm ham band and with up to 50 watts and repeaters it has very much the same performance and requires little to no programming.

"maximum range" isn't going to come from a handheld radio. You will need a mobile radio with a high gain antenna mounted up high.

Last edited:
OP
OP

five0.4tluv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gobi JTR and '17 JKU
Exactly. Forget the handheld in the vehicle. I use the Midland MXT-275 with a Midland MXTA26 antenna. Good range, clear transmissions. You could even use the magnet antenna that comes with the radio and be better off than a handheld. If you go with the stock antenna, the radio is completely portable because it plugs into the cigarette lighter for power. No need to hard wire anything.
Did you mount the antenna? If so where? pic?

Sponsored

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Did you mount the antenna? If so where? pic?
Yep. Used a Diamond K400SNMO lip mount. Ran the cable through the firewall and under the dash to the front passenger floorboard. Then came up through the carpet under the front passenger seat to my ham radio which is mounted to the bottom of the seat. My ham radio stays mounted in the Jeep at all times. When I need a GMRS or CB radio, I disconnect the antenna cable from the ham radio and plug it. My GMRS and CB radio use the 12v plug for power. My ham is permanently hard wired. I use the GMRS and CB infrequently, so don't mind them laying unsecured in the passenger seat or center console. The antenna works well. I get a 1.2-1.5 SWR on my ham, 1.2-1.4 on the CB and 1.1-1.3 on the GMRS.

Last edited:

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
Yep. Used a Diamond K400SNMO lip mount. Ran the cable through the firewall and under the dash to the front passenger floorboard. Then came up through the carpet under the front passenger seat to my ham radio which is mounted to the bottom of the seat. My ham radio stays mounted in the Jeep at all times. When I need a GMRS or CB radio, I disconnect the antenna cable from the ham radio and plug it. My GMRS and CB radio use the 12v plug for power. My ham is permanently hard wired. I use the GMRS and CB infrequently, so don't mind them laying unsecured in the passenger seat or center console. The antenna works well. I get a 1.2-1.5 SWR on my ham, 1.2-1.4 on the CB and 1.1-1.3 on the GMRS.

View attachment 112035

View attachment 112036

View attachment 112037

View attachment 112038

View attachment 112039
Are you using the same antenna for all three?

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Are you using the same antenna for all three?
Nope. Have a different antenna for each radio. Only takes 5 minutes to switch the antenna cable and antenna for whatever radio I want to use. All fit on the same mount.

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
Nope. Have a different antenna for each radio. Only takes 5 minutes to switch the antenna cable and antenna for whatever radio I want to use. All fit on the same mount.
I guess I didn't ask the right question in the beginning, same coax or wiring for the antenna.