okay all done!

finished product:

qgtSUav.jpg

and I added some bits to hold my sunrider when i'm not using it:

S9bs2jr.jpg

and here is what the 3D model looks like:

th5TRYG.png

and i'll attach a pdf of the plan and cut list. Materials needed are:

• 9 2x4x92, went with 92" length because those tend to be a bit cheaper. if you use full 8' you'll have some left over: $30
  • Plywood, 3/4" thick. you can use a 4x4 Project sheet of meh plywood
  • 4 Casters, i used some home depot ones that'll hold 170lbs each, 3" wheels. $50
    • I would probably spend more money here to get better ones, the ones i got roll very poorly. maybe 5" instead of 3" and Polyurethane instead of rubber?
1lb box of 2" deck screws
Some kind of carpet. I found some already rolled up

cuts look like:

4 x 49" & 42"
2 x 49" & 34.5
1 x 22.5", 22.5" & 45"
1 x 43.5" & 48"
1 x 54"
Hi, what size were the plywood sheets?
Sponsored

JayDee

First Name
Joël
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladitator Rubicon - Sting-Grey
Occupation
Teacher
Hi. I'm revitalizing this old thread. :P

These are all great. I'm sketching out my version in Fusion 360 (while learning how it works, yikes!). I'm fortunate to work at a high school and the wood shop class teacher likes the idea for a project for a few students. All I have to do is provide the material.

That said. I'm wondering if there are other alternatives to carpet to protect. I don't have a garage so the cart will be staying outside. Does anybody have any ideas? I am looking at rubberized spray paint, but, I don't think that it would be thick enough and soft enough to add protection. On my JKU door stand made of PVC, i had put pool noodles for protection. It kind of worked, but would sometimes leave some residue on the doors and would not stay put either.

Also, I see that all of you have put just one separation between the doors. Any reason not to put three? To separate each door?

Here is a rough idea of where I'm at in my design.

Jeep Gladiator Hardtop and Door Cart Cart pour toit de Gladiator v2

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Hi. I'm revitalizing this old thread. :P

These are all great. I'm sketching out my version in Fusion 360 (while learning how it works, yikes!). I'm fortunate to work at a high school and the wood shop class teacher likes the idea for a project for a few students. All I have to do is provide the material.

That said. I'm wondering if there are other alternatives to carpet to protect. I don't have a garage so the cart will be staying outside. Does anybody have any ideas? I am looking at rubberized spray paint, but, I don't think that it would be thick enough and soft enough to add protection. On my JKU door stand made of PVC, i had put pool noodles for protection. It kind of worked, but would sometimes leave some residue on the doors and would not stay put either.

Also, I see that all of you have put just one separation between the doors. Any reason not to put three? To separate each door?

Here is a rough idea of where I'm at in my design.

Jeep Gladiator Hardtop and Door Cart Cart pour toit de Gladiator v2
how did yall attach the carpeting? Careful stapling? Staples will piss you off after they scratch the paint

JayDee

First Name
Joël
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
how did yall attach the carpeting? Careful stapling? Staples will piss you off after they scratch the paint
That's also part of my problem with carpet.

Sponsored

JayDee

First Name
Joël
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
I built mine inspired by these designs. I found a bunch of different sized lumber around my new house. It's not as pretty as all of yours but it works very well. :P

IMG_3781.JPG

IMG_3748.JPG

IMG_3749.JPG

Sponsored

OPA Mac

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired Certified Diagnostic Medical Imaging Services Engineer
After balancing my hardtop on some scaffolding and taking up half the garage with hard door landmines for a couple weeks I decided it was time to make a dolly that I could use to protect and easily move around my hardtop and doors. I did not want to spend a bunch of money because I want to hang the doors and make a hoist for the top eventually.

Now my only complaint is it rolls too easily. I will be switching 2 of the casters to the locking type.

$upplies:
- 4 @ 250LBS casters from harbor freight = $25
- 11 @ 2"x4"x92 5/8" = $30 (I went with the 92" studs because they were cheaper)
- roll of outdoor carpet = $17 (it was in a rack at depot in the flooring area. I believe it was 6'x8' and I used almost all of it.)
- 42" x 36.5"ish ply for decking

Jeep Gladiator Hardtop and Door Cart IMG_3749.JPG

I made the cart 42" x 42" at the base and decked it with a 3/4" piece of scrap I had.
For the back 2 corners I took 4 @ 2"x4"x49" pieces and made 2 L -shaped corners and attached them to the base. I screwed the uprights together first then screwed them to the base. I added the support braces after the fact to stabilize it. 3" screws were used it to screw the uprights into the base and a square was used to keep everything aligned.

After Attaching the back corners I measured from the front of the door to the mirror to make the front uprights and placed them so they doors would fit and the mirrors would be facing the outside. The front upright is also 49" tall. I placed the upright 14" from the front of the dolly, squared it up with a framing square and secured it to the 2"x4" it ran perpendicular to.

After placing the front uprights I then braced the back and sides to stiffen it up and guesstimated where I wanted the doors to lean. My goal was to have the door be supported by the covered 2"x4". Just Cut your braces to fit and make sure you measure as close to the base as you can. That will make it easier to get the uprights square when you screw everything together.

The angled center brace was done after everything was done and is only there to give me something to bungee the doors to if they are going to be left on the cart for a while.

After getting the sides and back secured and squared up I ran the rear top support. I measured the span between the fiberglass structure of the hard top on each side and gave it about an inch of space on each side. I made this 2"x4"x54" long and attached it to the rear uprights. I slid the 2"x4" up about 1" above the uprights and secured it. I wanted to make sure the frame of the cart would not come in contact with the hotheads headliner. I made the side top supports 36" and secured them to the back L upright and ran it to the front/side uprights.

I then made a ledge to hold the freedom panels. They are 29.5" long and are made so that I can set the panels in after the top is in place and they will not fall out. My initial intention was to secure them with bungees but they nest in there nicely and I don't thing I will need to do anything unless I want to put the back half on without the panels. The first two photos show how the fit in there.

Finally I attached a scrap of 2"x4" that the indexing pin would fall into. I drilled a hole in the 2"x4" and screwed it to the side top support and now the top is locked into the dolly.

Finally I wrapped it in carpet everywhere it could come in contact with the doors or top and added the casters.

kentompkins

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2022 Grand Wagoneer
Occupation
VP
You, sir, are a legend. Thanks a ton. Saved me from $600 for the Hooke cart system that isn't in stock anywhere. It would have never occurred to me to just build one if it wasn't for your OP.
Jeep Gladiator Hardtop and Door Cart 20230524_130134
Jeep Gladiator Hardtop and Door Cart 20230524_131045
Sponsored