Sponsored

Harold's Sting Gray JTR Build

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Yes. The power cables are live all the time when directly attached to the battery. Which a lot of people do. But in the event of a front impact or other incident where the cables are rubbed, cut, exposed, etc, it can cause a major arcing and possibly fire. Granted...not the most likely scenario but I'd rather be safe then sorry.
I like that idea; makes a lot of sense.
Sponsored

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubicon 3.6l
Got a few more small things done today. Installed a set of KC Hi light underhood led cyclone lights. They work really nice, hooked them into my aux switches and run them off battery so I can switch them on without the Jeep on. Also installed set of Hothead Headliners, Mopar sill guards, and Mopar grab handles. Some minor things but fun nonetheless. Hopefully will get my exhaust and/or onboard air installed tomorrow.

Gladiator34.jpg

Gladiator35.jpg

Gladiator36.jpg

Gladiator37.jpg

Gladiator38.jpg

Gladiator39.jpg

Gladiator40.jpg

Gladiator41.jpg
Are these mopar grab handles the same as the front/rear JL handles or are they different? And if they are different where did you find them?

OP
OP
Harold0819

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
Are these mopar grab handles the same as the front/rear JL handles or are they different? And if they are different where did you find them?
Sorry my response is very delayed. Was away on vacation with my wife. I believe they are the same. I got them off of Amazon.
Here is link to rear
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787CFMKP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is link to the front
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787GCWVS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
Harold0819

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
Couple questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I purchased Dana Advantek Diff covers for my front and rear axles. Want to put them on but can't find gaskets except at dealership for almost 50.00 a piece. I heard the diff covers have a reusable lubelocker style gasket. Is that true? Anyone confirm that?
Next, what would you guys recommend for in the axles? I have elockers so no limited slip additive needed. How much is needed for both axles?

Thanks

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
So is the intent of the interrupt switch to isolate power to the winch for safety reasons, or...?
Yes. The power cables are live all the time when directly attached to the battery. Which a lot of people do. But in the event of a front impact or other incident where the cables are rubbed, cut, exposed, etc, it can cause a major arcing and possibly fire. Granted...not the most likely scenario but I'd rather be safe then sorry.
I had a small fire start in my JKUR from the winch cables rubbing enough to arc just driving down the road. The cables had come unmounted and that was why they were rubbing. No real damage was done to the Jeep or the winch, I just had to replace the winch cables and the battery.

And the build is looking really good so far. What is your intended use for it?

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Installed my Warn Interrupter switch today. Also removed the end caps to make my front bumper a stubby. Gong on vacation with the wife tomorrow so will have to wait till I return to install the winch.

stubby1.jpg

warn switch1.jpg

warn switch2.jpg

warn switch3.jpg
If this is the final routing of the high current battery feeds, I would re-evaluate. Protect the red cables with sheathing and secure them carefully to eliminate any potential movement, abrasion and potential arcing to ground. Love your build, but safety first!

OP
OP
Harold0819

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a small fire start in my JKUR from the winch cables rubbing enough to arc just driving down the road. The cables had come unmounted and that was why they were rubbing. No real damage was done to the Jeep or the winch, I just had to replace the winch cables and the battery.

And the build is looking really good so far. What is your intended use for it?
Probably the same as most. A regular driver with as many offroad capabilities as possible.

OP
OP
Harold0819

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If this is the final routing of the high current battery feeds, I would re-evaluate. Protect the red cables with sheathing and secure them carefully to eliminate any potential movement, abrasion and potential arcing to ground. Love your build, but safety first!
Thanks for the note. I have them secured but was considering getting some loom to protect the hot wires even more.

OP
OP
Harold0819

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright. Got another item done and installed today. Installed my winch plate and winch today. Was fairly smooth and straight forward. For me, I take my time and try not to rush it and install it correctly and neatly. All was fine except for 2 simple things. First, I think my truck was built on a Friday after 4pm....LOL. I found several fasteners missing on it when I removed my end caps and today when I removed it for the winch install. Not a big deal was able to source replacements but just makes you go Hmmm. They were all in places you would not see unless under truck or when caps are removed. Second, my winch did not include hardware to mount the fairlead. Simple enough fix. Drove to hardware store and sourced a pair of 1/2" bolts, washers, and stainless cap nuts to finish it off.
Only issue I has was when I tightened up my winch brackets after the bumper was re-installed. I Magilla Gorilla'd one of the skid plate brackets bolts to hard and felt the frame insert let loose a bit. Still holding solid, don't think it is an issue to worry about, but note to self...easy on the bar or the button...LOL.
Pulled the wires through, ran them under the airbox up to battery. I could of still might shorten the negative line as I could take off about a foot and a half. Left it for now and secured it. Will see if it bothers me down the road. I had a Factor 55 flatlink. Not sure if I like it or not. May change it out for the original hook. I had also ordered a Warn cover for the winch...yeah...not getting that thing on...lol. Sending that back...lol

winch2.jpg

winch3.jpg

winch4.jpg

winch6.jpg

winch7.jpg

winch8.jpg

winch10.jpg

winch11.jpg

winch12.jpg

winch13.jpg

winch14.jpg

OP
OP
Harold0819

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got a few more things installed yesterday. Installed my front and rear diff covers. In case anyone is unaware. The factory 44 axles come with a reusable gasket. Works great and is a bit simpler and cleaner than using RVT. These are a lot thicker and heavier than the factory covers. Had to remove the rear swaybar to install the cover on the rear axle.
Also install a set of RockBlok mud flaps. Pretty simple to install and look and fit well. I had to modify my driver's rear bracket slightly to clear my exhaust. Simple fix. These are the original size. Figure it is worth a little extra protection and they remove easily if needed. They are not cheap but there is a bit of engineering and bracketry involved. Not just 4 pieces of plastic as others have commented.
Installed my Tazer JL mini as well. Turned off my TPMS, love the start/stop disable. No more having to remember to shut it off. A little nerve racking installing it....LOL. Afraid I was gonna screw something up.
Next is to get my Synergy Track bar and sector shaft brace installed.

diffcover1.jpg

diffcover2.jpg

diffcover3.jpg

diffcover4.jpg

rockblok1.jpg

rockblok3.jpg

rockblok4.jpg

rockblok5.jpg

rockblok8.jpg

rockblok7.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Harold0819

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got my Synergy Tracbar and Sector shaft brace installed this morning. Very straight forward. Installation would definitely be easier on a lifted jeep. With mine still at stock height it is tight under the front end. It did help to droop the front axle when the tire is off and tracbar and swaybar disconnected. I put another jackstand under the frame and dropped the axle down and that helped as well. Hardest part was removing the OEM sector shaft nut. Had to put a little Map gas on it and heat it up a little. Then it spun right off. Torqueing it is easier with both tires on the ground to help keep wheels from pivoting. Everything lined up good. It is a very tight fitting bracket so if some holes are a little off just shake it around or tighten a bolt here or there to align them. Then loosen it back up as there is a tightening sequence to the bolts. Once it is done you won't even know it is there...LOL.

synergy1.jpg

synergy2.jpg

synergy3.jpg

ERMedic777

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
Harold you are costing me a fortune over here !!!!! Your Gladiator looks amazing. I had already ordered the Synergy Sector shaft / Trackbar reinforcement bracket but i had not seen those mudflaps before and had to get a set of those !!!!!!

OP
OP
Harold0819

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harold you are costing me a fortune over here !!!!! Your Gladiator looks amazing. I had already ordered the Synergy Sector shaft / Trackbar reinforcement bracket but i had not seen those mudflaps before and had to get a set of those !!!!!!

LOL...sorry but isn't that one of the pitfalls of owning a Jeep? LOL. Glad you like the build so far. I'm really happy with the RokBloks so far. The ones I got are the original size. Black with gray lettering. They do really help protect the truck and it takes about 2-3 minutes to unscrew the thumb screws and remove them.

OP
OP
Harold0819

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got my lift installed about 2 weeks ago. Installed the Rock Krawler 3.0" Pro-X 'no limits" stage 1 kit. Installation was very straightforward. The starting lengths that RockKrawler gives you are dead on. I set all the lengths before the day I did the lift. The lowers were set and jam nuts torqued. I snugged up the uppers but figured they would be adjusted a little, find their orientation, then pull them to torque them. The hardest part of the install was the rear cradle, it fought us the whole way. Hats off to anyone who installed this on the ground. I was going to but had a buddy of mine let me know at last minute that his lift was open for the weekend.
Installed a Synergy Draglink and set of Evo Extended Brakelines while at it. Took my youngest son and I about 10 hours total over a Sat afternoon and Sunday morning to complete. Still have to install my Synergy tierod and steering stabilizer relocation brackets.

Attachments

OP
OP
Harold0819

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed my Synergy tierod , stabilizer relocation kit, and fox stabilizer today. Last piece of the puzzle. Truck goes in for its alignment this Tuesday, then the tires and wheels go on. Tierod and relocation kit was simple to install, only bummer was that my EVO FAD skid interfered with the tierod so I had to remove it. Ended up removing the stock stabilizer axle brackets as well. If anyone is looking for a skid, let me know. I let this one go real cheap as it is just laying around now.
I actually like how much extra clearance there is under the passenger side of the axle
Sponsored

Attachments