First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Not talking about the Daytime Running Lights, but today I noticed that my dashboard dimmed during daylight hours when I was driving and that the headlights were on the the Auto mode. Why would they come on in broad daylight on a sunny day? Thought perhaps that turning my wipers on to clean the bug guts off the windshield may have caused it to think it was raining, but I went for a drive a couple hours later and the dash was still dim and the headlight on though still daylight.

What am I missing? This hasn't happened before and I have the switch that you dim them with two clicks below the highest setting that turns the indoor lights on, second click is bright dash, third stop is where it should dim the dash at night but now is doing so during the day.

TIA
Sponsored

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
I keep my headlights on Auto as well and find they are extremely sensitive. The Jeep turns them on when other vehicles do not.

It can be middle of the day, no clouds, and pass through a shaded area - headlights on.

I'd guess the bug cleaning covered the sensor. Grab some window cleaner and a towel and clean the windshield. Cycle the lights to off and then back to Auto and see if it resolves.

Mine always turn off, but again, that takes longer than it does for other vehicles with auto headlights.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There is a uConnect setting that controls if the headlights come on with the wipers.

Clean the windshield. Make sure nothing is covering the light sensor on top of the dash.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not talking about the Daytime Running Lights, but today I noticed that my dashboard dimmed during daylight hours when I was driving and that the headlights were on the the Auto mode. Why would they come on in broad daylight on a sunny day? Thought perhaps that turning my wipers on to clean the bug guts off the windshield may have caused it to think it was raining, but I went for a drive a couple hours later and the dash was still dim and the headlight on though still daylight.

What am I missing? This hasn't happened before and I have the switch that you dim them with two clicks below the highest setting that turns the indoor lights on, second click is bright dash, third stop is where it should dim the dash at night but now is doing so during the day.

TIA
Check your settings but there is a spot to have headlights come on when you turn on wipers.
That doesn't explain the rest but I believe the sensor is on the dash for ambient light sensing - if you were on a tree-lined boulevard, it could explain it.

OP
OP
TomG

TomG

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the insight. Will give her a thorough cleaning today and see if anything is blocking the light sensor.

Sponsored

kmartin

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I had this happen a couple times before I figured out that I'd put something on the dash, covering the sensor. I didn't know about the Uconnect wiper setting, I'll need to think about changing that.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had this happen a couple times before I figured out that I'd put something on the dash, covering the sensor. I didn't know about the Uconnect wiper setting, I'll need to think about changing that.
If you cover the sensor it's going to think it's dark all the time and turn the headlights on.

I NORMALLY like the lights on with wipers but sometimes here it's drizzling with a bit of sunshine - then it's annoying.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I NORMALLY like the lights on with wipers but sometimes here it's drizzling with a bit of sunshine - then it's annoying.
There are a lot of places anymore that require headlights on with the wipers. I travel enough that it’s just easier to have the lights come on with the wipers every time, rather than try to remember who & where that law is in affect.

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of places anymore that require headlights on with the wipers. I travel enough that it’s just easier to have the lights come on with the wipers every time, rather than try to remember who & where that law is in affect.

Kevin
And that's one reason I've left that setting alone. When I want it I want it, rather deal with minor small annoyances than not have them come on when we get a popcorn t-storm and it gets so dark the street lights come on.
Sponsored