Harker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Harker Outdoors
Vehicle Showcase
Spring, it's coming! It's time to get your rig ready for this year's adventures. What better way than to have a camper that does it all? Dunes, crawling, or camping, the Harker EDC is ready for anything!

DSC04772-4.jpg

DSC04784-3.jpg
Sponsored

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
How does the gladiator carry it? Did you have to add air bags,spacers,etc?

SarGeek

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mohave & 1986 CJ-7
Occupation
IT
Hi Harker crew!

Question (I searched the thread but didn't see it): Does the EDC go far enough over the gladiator cab to require the satellite antenna be relocated?

Thanks!

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Looks to me like it does. I had to relocate mine with my Alu-Cab and this looks similar

SarGeek

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Looks to me like it does. I had to relocate mine with my Alu-Cab and this looks similar
Thanks fourfa!

Just scoping some options at this point but the EDC seems to have some advantages over the GFC in regards to space, etc.

Truth be told, weight seems to be a bigger issue was we fit out our JT's to go play.

Sponsored

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
The antenna relocation is pretty easy. I wouldnā€™t use that as a factor for which camper you want

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
Where is your satellite antenna? I donā€™t have one on my truck. 22 Mojave. I do have satellite radio - I use the built in Sirius XM every time I drive.

Hereā€™s my roof. Excuse the crappy picture and dirty truck. Taken out my office window after a dusty week and a rainy afternoon, through a screen next to my neighbors dying lawn šŸ˜†

image.jpg

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Hm, not quite sure what youā€™re asking. You think you donā€™t have a satellite antenna, but you use XM all the time?

The stock XM antenna is on top of the sound bar, about in the middle left/right, and slightly behind the front edge of the rear hardtop section. If you have a soft top, itā€™s visible as a rounded rectangle about the size of a deck of cards or so. AFAIK all JL/JTs have the stock antenna

I used this relocation kit:
https://maximus-3.com/home/maximus-...on-bracket?search_query=Relocation+&results=8
See their instructions or YouTube if you want more details. The kit relocates it over the driver sun visor, using the stock wiring which is plenty long.

One thing Iā€™ve learned, if you plan to do any sound deadening material on the hardtop, it will cause some signal attenuation even to the relocated position. Enough that Iā€™m kinda planning to switch to an external antenna eventually

SarGeek

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I have already installed a VHF/UHF HAM radio (yes, I am licensed) so relocating the antenna isn't a huge deal. Just one of many factors I am looking at. I just want to factor in all the things I would need to plan for if I went that route. Right now the EDC is looking like a pretty solid balance of weight-to-situation for me as I also end up using the truck as a truck, especially when hunting (hard to get an elk in a JL...).

The hardtop is radio-transparent (or nearly so) so any insulation material that doesn't match that property is going to affect signal. It is still occasionally amazing to me how little material with the right properties can stop even a relatively high power signal. A HAM handheld radio has a typical (high power) output of 5 watts, or 10-15 times what your cell phone uses, and can still be stopped dead by relatively little metal, reinforced concrete, etc.

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
Hm, not quite sure what youā€™re asking. You think you donā€™t have a satellite antenna, but you use XM all the time?

The stock XM antenna is on top of the sound bar, about in the middle left/right, and slightly behind the front edge of the rear hardtop section. If you have a soft top, itā€™s visible as a rounded rectangle about the size of a deck of cards or so. AFAIK all JL/JTs have the stock antenna

I used this relocation kit:
https://maximus-3.com/home/maximus-...on-bracket?search_query=Relocation+&results=8
See their instructions or YouTube if you want more details. The kit relocates it over the driver sun visor, using the stock wiring which is plenty long.

One thing Iā€™ve learned, if you plan to do any sound deadening material on the hardtop, it will cause some signal attenuation even to the relocated position. Enough that Iā€™m kinda planning to switch to an external antenna eventually
Oh, OK. Are you guys relocating your antenna because of the wireless signal being hampered by the camper? I thought it was a shark fin type antenna that was physically going to be interfering with the camper that hangs out over the cab.

Sponsored

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Correct, the signal is blocked. In my case it would work only occasionally when driving due south.

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
Correct, the signal is blocked. In my case it would work only occasionally when driving due south.
Thanks for that. Had not previously heard of that being a problem. I have a wedge camper on order, so I will in advance move my antenna.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Start reading about headliners too. If you want the Coverking, youā€™ll want to do it before the camper goes on. I made that mistake and had to settle for Hotheads, which are a lot easier to install but not as full coverage and IMHO donā€™t look as nice

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
Start reading about headliners too. If you want the Coverking, youā€™ll want to do it before the camper goes on. I made that mistake and had to settle for Hotheads, which are a lot easier to install but not as full coverage and IMHO donā€™t look as nice
I have the OEM headliner. Works well enough that donā€™t feel the need to swap it out.

squarefoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR, 22 JL 4xe
Occupation
Self Employed
Hi Harker crew!

Question (I searched the thread but didn't see it): Does the EDC go far enough over the gladiator cab to require the satellite antenna be relocated?

Thanks!
Yes, I had to. I would only get reception when traveling in certain directions
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.