Hiding Toll booth Transponder passes.

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
I just thought of something today as I was walking away from my doorless vehicle.

My transponder for the tolls is in clear view and only held on with Velcro to the windshield.

All someone would have to do is to walk over and snatch it. Would take like 2 seconds.

Anyone have the same issue? Anybody have a nice place to put it where it still works but isn’t in plain sight?

I guess I could put it in the glove box, but it would be nice if I could put it somewhere it wasn’t visible but still worked.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a model with the regular non-auto dimming a mirror you could put it directly behind your rearview mirror and by the plastic shroud that covers the electronics for the auto dimming mirror.

At least that makes it slightly harder for someone to access and steal and they only know it’s there if they see it from the front windshield

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Maybe stick in the grill highup outside of the horns, not sure what color yours is though…..Jack

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
If you have a model with the regular non-auto dimming a mirror you could put it directly behind your rearview mirror and by the plastic shroud that covers the electronics for the auto dimming mirror.

At least that makes it slightly harder for someone to access and steal and they only know it’s there if they see it from the front windshield
I do exactly this. I have also put black Plasti-Dip on it so it doesn't stick out as much, and used 3M adhesive to attach it to the windshield.

Putting it elsewhere reduces it's range, and you'll have more missed tolls. I've tried that before and there really is no better spot than top-center of the windshield for reliability.

EDIT: Added photos. There's still room between for a dashcam, so that's what you see right behind the mirror. The black box wedged up at the top of the windshield is the transponder.
Jeep Gladiator Hiding Toll booth Transponder passes. 1631829474397

From the outside, you can barely see it.
Jeep Gladiator Hiding Toll booth Transponder passes. 1631829506167

Last edited:

Sponsored

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
Yeah, my two cents is if someone is that stupid, report it stolen, and let them get caught since every time they go through a tollbooth they're getting their picture taken with it. And you're not really losing anything anyway - you can dispute charges, and even if you didn't have it in the truck, they have your license plate on file and if you go through a booth without the transponder, they bill your account anyway off the plate, so it's not even like you can't use the EZ Pass lanes while you're waiting for your replacement. Happened to me this weekend, left it in my other car.

CFLgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I know at least here they now provide RFID stickers as an option instead of clumsy transponders. Always hated the suction cups falling off in the heat or the Velcro or adhesive pulling apart. Now I just worry if I have to replace the sticker that it might damage my tint.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Went to a state park where you have to hang an annual pass on the rear view mirror over the weekend and had the same conundrum.

I decided to just take the pass with me and if I found a ticket try to argue my way out of it. Unlike an EZ pass anyone could use it.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
Definitely should red flag toll authority when plates don’t match

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
Could you stick it on top of the roll bar next to the GPS and XM antennas? Not easily visible and wouldn't look super out of place.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Definitely should red flag toll authority when plates don’t match
They only look at plates when the transponder doesn't register. If they get a valid transponder number, they could care less about the plate.

Could you stick it on top of the roll bar next to the GPS and XM antennas? Not easily visible and wouldn't look super out of place.
I tried this at first, had varying results. Registered about 75% of the time, still had many instances where it didn't work. Moving it back to the windshield got be back to almost 100%.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
They only look at plates when the transponder doesn't register. If they get a valid transponder number, they could care less about the plate.

I tried this at first, had varying results. Registered about 75% of the time, still had many instances where it didn't work. Moving it back to the windshield got be back to almost 100%.
Houston was all over me when I traded cars and forgot to go online and switch. Every toll authority will have its procedures, some better or worse I guess.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
We have stickers on our windshields. I did use to worry about my garage door opener in my 04 LJ. I soldered wires across the door opener switch and ran the wires to a momentarily closed switch discretely mounted in my dash. The tiny switch was hidden in plain sight and the garage door opener was behind my dash panel.

CFLgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
We have stickers on our windshields. I did use to worry about my garage door opener in my 04 LJ. I soldered wires across the door opener switch and ran the wires to a momentarily closed switch discretely mounted in my dash. The tiny switch was hidden in plain sight and the garage door opener was behind my dash panel.
I believe our new jeeps garage door opener won't work without it keyed on to accessory or run. If that makes you feel better

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
The entire top of the vehicle is fiberglass and transparent to RF. You could hide the pass anywhere in the roof or for that matter anywhere above door line inside the vehicle and it should work fine.
Sponsored