Homemade Unistrut Tent Mount on Bed

Zebago

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ8, 2020 JT Rubicon, White
I rigged this up over the weekend while I wait for my new bed rack to arrive. Its pretty solid and easily removable. I may leave the tent on the rails and use them to hoist the tent up off the bed to the rafters of my garage. Or leave the rails mounted as is and put plywood or a cage on them to have a deck above the bed under the rack.

I ground some material off the heads of the carriage bolts so they would slide clear of the rail mounting bolts. I used 3/8” square nuts as the locating feature. They are ½” square. I had to grind the square nuts thinner so they wouldn’t stick out of the rails. The washers are 11/8” Dia. I welded the nut and washer to the bolt so they wouldn’t spin while tightening. I also had to drill the center hole on the 90° Brackets because the existing holes didn’t line up with the rail. I had to remove the forward set of factory tie downs to slide the rail bolts in the larger openings and down the rails. I used thin rubber on all mounting surfaces. I was going to use Unistrut clamps with bolts instead of the U-bolt to mount the rails but I dint like the looks of the bolts when tightened.

Materials:

1 - 10’ of 1 5/8” Unistrut cut in half (60” each)
4 - Unistrut 90° Brackets
8 - 3/8” Unistrut Channel nuts – You could get away with 4.
8 - 3/8” Hex bolts with washers
4 – 3/8” Carriage bolts with washers and nylon nuts. I used 2” bolts, but could be shorter.
Misc. pieces of rubber cut to fit mounting surfaces

g (2).jpg

f.jpg

e.jpg

c.jpg

b (2).jpg

a (2).jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zebago

Zebago

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was going to do this, but didn't like the looks. And was worried the tent would hit it.

unistrut clamp.png

h (2).jpg

I (2).jpg

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I like it! Well done; thanks for sharing!

Sladecm

First Name
Slade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of the motorcycles...
I rigged this up over the weekend while I wait for my new bed rack to arrive. Its pretty solid and easily removable. I may leave the tent on the rails and use them to hoist the tent up off the bed to the rafters of my garage. Or leave the rails mounted as is and put plywood or a cage on them to have a deck above the bed under the rack.

I ground some material off the heads of the carriage bolts so they would slide clear of the rail mounting bolts. I used 3/8” square nuts as the locating feature. They are ½” square. I had to grind the square nuts thinner so they wouldn’t stick out of the rails. The washers are 11/8” Dia. I welded the nut and washer to the bolt so they wouldn’t spin while tightening. I also had to drill the center hole on the 90° Brackets because the existing holes didn’t line up with the rail. I had to remove the forward set of factory tie downs to slide the rail bolts in the larger openings and down the rails. I used thin rubber on all mounting surfaces. I was going to use Unistrut clamps with bolts instead of the U-bolt to mount the rails but I dint like the looks of the bolts when tightened.

Materials:

1 - 10’ of 1 5/8” Unistrut cut in half (60” each)
4 - Unistrut 90° Brackets
8 - 3/8” Unistrut Channel nuts – You could get away with 4.
8 - 3/8” Hex bolts with washers
4 – 3/8” Carriage bolts with washers and nylon nuts. I used 2” bolts, but could be shorter.
Misc. pieces of rubber cut to fit mounting surfaces

g (2).jpg

f.jpg

e.jpg

c.jpg

b (2).jpg

a (2).jpg
This is great! Would you be interested in selling it once you get your new rack in?

OP
OP
Zebago

Zebago

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! No, I think I'm going to keep it and try to have it mounted under the rack. I may mount a spare on it and still have the bed for totes or drawers. Or put a piece of plywood or basket/roof rack on it to hold more gear. Also I think it would cost more in shipping than the materials cost.

2nda.png

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Zebago

Zebago

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Bud! I like what your doing in that thread. Some good information over there!
Sponsored