Sponsored

Houston to Alaska summer 2024.. and Dalton highway.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
have you guys done the McCarthy Road?
it is only a 59 miles off road.

IMG_BA1BECAD01F0-1.jpeg
Yep we did it and highly recommend it!
The road is severely washboarded but we knew that going in. We ended up camping on a small lake about half way to McCarthy and it was a beautiful spot. Saw Mt. Goats across the road and hear loons all night long.

Do it!
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Would absolutely love to do a trip and end up in Tuk. Correct me if I'm wrong. But that's the farthest point you can drive to in North America? Even going all the way to prudhoe Bay would be cool. But no access to the ocean from there.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Would absolutely love to do a trip and end up in Tuk. Correct me if I'm wrong. But that's the farthest point you can drive to in North America? Even going all the way to prudhoe Bay would be cool. But no access to the ocean from there.
Prudhoe Bay is the furthest North you can drive in NA even if you can’t reach the Arctic Ocean. You can take a tour of restricted area which includes a stop at the ocean if you want to dip your toes in.
Prudhoe Bay (where you can drive)is approx. 70 degrees, 13 minutes North while Tuk is about 69 degrees, 27 minutes North. One of my overlanding goals on trips is to go to the most remote drivable points and so far I’ve done the ones for North America and a few on other continents.

Interestingly, if that is something you want to do then while you’re up in AK it has the Westerly most drivable point in NA at a place called Anchor Point…

Jeep Gladiator Houston to Alaska summer 2024.. and Dalton highway. IMG_0856

OP
OP
yrwins

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
Hmmm
that is very interested. I need to look into that.
I was the impression that dalton highway is the remote place you can drive.

I need to do more planing . We’re to go.
I hop I don’t go solo, my frind that we travel ( Toyota ) is not going so I am going to be companionless for that year.

ps. I just reviewed the snorkel for the jeep.
need to install it.

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have done the Dalton twice, both times on a motorcycle. The calcium chloride that they use to control dust and make the road like snot when it rains, trashes everything that it touches, your equipment is never the same, But hey I went back for a 2nd time.

When I was there in 2019 the Arctic Ocean tour left from Deadhorse Camp, the 1st lodging when you enter Deadhorse on the left.

OP
OP
yrwins

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
Sorry for no update I just been streaming busy from work . I just ordered a AEV smoked kid.
I haven’t make any trail plan so far, any suggestions !
Sponsored

Last edited: