First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom
Occupation
Naval Aviator
Just re-geared from 3:76 to 4:88 and the shop gave me my stock gears all cleaned up and in a pretty box. They have 7500 miles on them and I have no idea what to do with them. Should I just toss them?
Sponsored

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
If they have a good wear pattern, they could be used again. The trick in setting up a used gear set is to match the original wear pattern exactly. The problem is that very few people have both the skill and the patience to do this. Also, who wants to put stock gear ratios back in their Jeep. As far as labor is concerned, it costs the same to set up a set of deeper gears, like 4.88/1 or 5.13/1. So to answer the question, probably pitch them, unless you can find someone else who wants them.

OP
OP
Anchorsoffroad

Anchorsoffroad

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom
Occupation
Naval Aviator
If they have a good wear pattern, they could be used again. The trick in setting up a used gear set is to match the original wear pattern exactly. The problem is that very few people have both the skill and the patience to do this. Also, who wants to put stock gear ratios back in their Jeep. As far as labor is concerned, it costs the same to set up a set of deeper gears, like 4.88/1 or 5.13/1. So to answer the question, probably pitch them, unless you can find someone else who wants them.
Thats fair. Yeah Iā€™ll probably toss them in that case. Doubt any body would want them.

dmwphoto

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
would make a pretty good boat anchor and your screen name indicates you know something about that lol

OP
OP
Anchorsoffroad

Anchorsoffroad

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom
Occupation
Naval Aviator
would make a pretty good boat anchor and your screen name indicates you know something about that lol
Being that Iā€™m in the Navy, you think I would know a thing or two about the damn things. Iā€™m a poser. Shouldā€™ve joined the Air Force.

Sponsored

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
Being that Iā€™m in the Navy, you think I would know a thing or two about the damn things. Iā€™m a poser. Shouldā€™ve joined the Air Force.
Nothing to be bothered by. Most people don't realize that ground tackle is the province of only a few sailors.

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
unfortunately as a newer and relatively expensive vehicle itā€™s very doubtful they are of any value. If it was a set from an old mini truck or YJ and someone needed a rear set to match a new front axle swap for a woods beater maybe you would get $50 from someone who could do the swap themselves. That wonā€™t happen for the gladiator for probably 15+ years.

Is there something else you can do with them? hang them in your basement/garage or something as a piece of art. I kept my broken ring gear with teeth missing as a broke it trophy. Sadly i put it in the huge box of spare parts after my basement flooded and that went with my old truck I sold without realizing it.

I also saved a broken CV joint and ended up using the good joint on it as a handle to the swing out tire carrier on a bumper i built a couple years later because šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø.I planned on welding the pinion to the low range shifter as well but never got around to it before I bought the gladiator and sold the Yota.

I also have a collection of license plates, boat parts and vehicle parts from everything Iv owned hanging from my rafters in my basement. I like it but my wife thinks itā€™s just clutter.

Outback_Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired Civil Engineer
I have reused gears in lots of vehicles, Just need to get them to track in the old wear pattern which can be done with some dark grease. Lots of shimming, removing and reinstalling the gear set to make them run true. But are the worth anything, not yet!

MrClortho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
In engineering school, we took the pinion gear and weld the base to a plate so it would stick up vertically, gear end up. We would then tack on a couple of big ball bearings on each side and paint it purple (I think you get the picture). A select group of graduating seniors would present the "purple shaft award" to the least popular professor for the year.

Anyway, the Texas Tech mechanical engineering department is always looking for donations. :rock:
Sponsored