Sponsored

Is Jeep tracking my mileage and everything through U-Connect?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You mean my basic Sport isn't spying on me? Nice. Between that and my low car payment I'm feeling some real freedom here.
If they drop the basic sport level, there's going to be a revolt.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I totally question the validity of some of that after participating in a program through our own insurance company and talking to their support people.
I talked about braking, acceleration and so on - and found a whole different story than what that "New York Post" article claims. (I was concerned because with a 4xe set in max regen mode, just letting up fully on the gas pedal can duplicate the effects of hard braking).
You have to do it constantly, you have to constantly behave like that for there to be any impact. It's trends, numbers. We are both sitting at scores of 100 even though she's got several instances of "hard braking" recorded, and 2 or 3 instances of "speeding" (we have areas where the speed drops drastically in a really short time).
For the tracking to work in our cases, you MUST have your phone with you and have it set to precise location setting, and because the phone has the accelerometer and so on in it. They can't use the vehicle itself as it doesn't track precisely enough or as quickly as a phone does. They said they tried the OBD port stuff - not precise enough, too unreliable.
I really couldn't take that article too seriously seeing how it totally contradicted what I've been finding out being in the program we're in and chatting with people at their headquarters.
OTOH, if they drive like fools, they should indeed pay - but I have a funny feeling "there's more to that story" some are leaving out..........

Not sure what you mean by "be careful what you sign during a car deal" - because you sign nothing at all to do with any of that. I read all documents fully, even fine print, there's never a thing in there about anything other than the deal itself, the purchase, financing, whatever. You don't even agree to anything to do with nav or radio in those papers.

TinMan2020

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
I totally question the validity of some of that after participating in a program through our own insurance company and talking to their support people.
I talked about braking, acceleration and so on - and found a whole different story than what that "New York Post" article claims. (I was concerned because with a 4xe set in max regen mode, just letting up fully on the gas pedal can duplicate the effects of hard braking).
You have to do it constantly, you have to constantly behave like that for there to be any impact. It's trends, numbers. We are both sitting at scores of 100 even though she's got several instances of "hard braking" recorded, and 2 or 3 instances of "speeding" (we have areas where the speed drops drastically in a really short time).
For the tracking to work in our cases, you MUST have your phone with you and have it set to precise location setting, and because the phone has the accelerometer and so on in it. They can't use the vehicle itself as it doesn't track precisely enough or as quickly as a phone does. They said they tried the OBD port stuff - not precise enough, too unreliable.
I really couldn't take that article too seriously seeing how it totally contradicted what I've been finding out being in the program we're in and chatting with people at their headquarters.
OTOH, if they drive like fools, they should indeed pay - but I have a funny feeling "there's more to that story" some are leaving out..........

Not sure what you mean by "be careful what you sign during a car deal" - because you sign nothing at all to do with any of that. I read all documents fully, even fine print, there's never a thing in there about anything other than the deal itself, the purchase, financing, whatever. You don't even agree to anything to do with nav or radio in those papers.
This is ONE news report of many online. This was national and local news on tv last night. You can argue to your hearts content about “taking this seriously” if you want.

The fine print may not be in Jeep’s paperwork yet but what I meant by “be careful what you sign” is everyone ready to file suit says the forms allowing such tracking were buried in the stack of paperwork from the purchase of the vehicle (didn’t say it was a Jeep vehicle) and was framed as something to help you. I read GM, Ford, Honda and a few other brands have included this agreement in their forms/permissions.

I’m sorry to tell you. This is where we are going.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is ONE news report of many online. This was national and local news on tv last night. You can argue to your hearts content about “taking this seriously” if you want.

The fine print may not be in Jeep’s paperwork yet but what I meant by “be careful what you sign” is everyone ready to file suit says the forms allowing such tracking were buried in the stack of paperwork from the purchase of the vehicle (didn’t say it was a Jeep vehicle) and was framed as something to help you. I read GM, Ford, Honda and a few other brands have included this agreement in their forms/permissions.

I’m sorry to tell you. This is where we are going.
Did you note that are all sourced from the same story?

I checked 4 versions - all used the exact same situation. That's not saying "there's nothing to it" but i have a feeling there's more to the story than what's being said.
And honestly, if the jerk was speeding - fine, make him pay more as he's going to do more damage to me if he hits me while he's driving like that. He should pay more! The rest of us try to do a good job and get smacked by idiots. My rates go up because people like that exist on the road. He raises the risk level of the whole pool. So it's only right his rates should be higher than mine because I'm a low risk driver.
I guess really, if it means I don't have to pay more because of a few clowns - LOL - COOL! Raise his rates and let me pay less for being a lower risk out there

There's nothing in any paperwork you sign at a dealership. A dealership is selling the vehicle - they aren't doing anything else as far as data.
If anything, it's going to be in the "agreement" you say ok to on your NAV system, etc.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Found a DIFFERENT story that gave different details. It's GM... and seems to be specific vehicles, at the very least it's GM doing it.
The story is a bit fuzzy, though, because it also says "when you purchased the vehicle". Can't see how that's possible since purchase agreements don't say anything about the vehicle itself, it's a purchase agreement. They must mean when you set up the NAV system and such. I've never seen any dealer that uses anything other than standardizes purchase agreements - complex, but nothing about allowing the auto maker to do anything. It's between you and the dealership, not you and GM.

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
What 'data' are you so worried about? Your phone is collecting and sharing more data than the truck ever will. Jeep collects Telematics data for their research. They do not actively track vehicles. Nobody cares about you or where you go, unless you give them a reason to.
I'm just going to leave this here...

GM is just the one implicated, any connected car is storing and transmitting data. You're nuts if you think companies with access to that won't find a way to monetize it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/technology/carmakers-driver-tracking-insurance.html

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just going to leave this here...

GM is just the one implicated, any connected car is storing and transmitting data. You're nuts if you think companies with access to that won't find a way to monetize it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/technology/carmakers-driver-tracking-insurance.html
Car companies do collect data. They monetize it where they can, to help offset the costs of collection. As capabilities improve, they will collect more data.

At this point in time, they are not actively tracking vehicles. The data is uploaded later, usually right after the vehicle is shut off before it goes to sleep.

TinMan2020

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
Car companies do collect data. They monetize it where they can, to help offset the costs of collection. As capabilities improve, they will collect more data.

At this point in time, they are not actively tracking vehicles. The data is uploaded later, usually right after the vehicle is shut off before it goes to sleep.
The news story literally says they sold the info to insurance companies for their use. The one person named in the story claimed his insurance company showed him over 200 pages of information about he and his wife’s driving habits which included trip durations and lengths.

It might not be someone sitting in front of a pc screen actively watching your car on a map but someone definitely reads the trip info at their leisure after the fact. Does it really matter if it’s in real time or a few days after?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The news story literally says they sold the info to insurance companies for their use. The one person named in the story claimed his insurance company showed him over 200 pages of information about his and his wife’s driving habits which included trip durations and lengths.

It might not be someone sitting in front of a pc screen actively watching your car on a map but someone definitely reads the trip info at their leisure after the fact. Does it really matter if it’s in real time or a few days after?
Yes, it does matter. The hysteria that starts most of the threads like this is that someone is sitting in front of a screen watching in real time.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I still see this as so many stories go - a person says he was shown pages...... a single person... and not any independent confirmation.
I'm not saying noting is happening, it's not possible, or this didn't happen - but all stories were picked up from the original with one person only stating they were shown......... and no journalist has actually seen any of it.
I'm waiting for a real person independent of it all to actually investigate and show the beef.
Like I said - it may be true, but every story is a copy of the original, usually with a heck of a lot left out.
Where are the investigative journalists in all of this?
Like I was told directly by a rep of our own company, a few "harsh braking events" will have no to very limited impact on anything. I've had 3 such events in the last month and still have a 100% score and max discount.
So - maybe this guy is saying "a few times" and he's habitual? We don't know.
And "clean record" is meaningless in these days of limited enforcement. A lot of people get away with a lot of crap - and aren't in an accident for years.

So, call me a skeptic at this point until I see more details, and some facts - not from this guy in that article, but from others.
One of my neighbors has a really clean record, but frankly, riding with him is scary....... RISK is what it's about, he's high risk.

TinMan2020

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
Yes, it does matter. The hysteria that starts most of the threads like this is that someone is sitting in front of a screen watching in real time.
I disagree with that. I see the issue here is the fact that the car manufacturer took info from a car that a person owns and sold it to another company that in turn made the customer pay more for
Insurance premiums. I would think most people would ask what business does a car manufacture have getting involved with a deal you have with an insurance company.

TinMan2020

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
I still see this as so many stories go - a person says he was shown pages...... a single person... and not any independent confirmation.
I'm not saying noting is happening, it's not possible, or this didn't happen - but all stories were picked up from the original with one person only stating they were shown......... and no journalist has actually seen any of it.
I'm waiting for a real person independent of it all to actually investigate and show the beef.
Like I said - it may be true, but every story is a copy of the original, usually with a heck of a lot left out.
Where are the investigative journalists in all of this?
Like I was told directly by a rep of our own company, a few "harsh braking events" will have no to very limited impact on anything. I've had 3 such events in the last month and still have a 100% score and max discount.
So - maybe this guy is saying "a few times" and he's habitual? We don't know.
And "clean record" is meaningless in these days of limited enforcement. A lot of people get away with a lot of crap - and aren't in an accident for years.

So, call me a skeptic at this point until I see more details, and some facts - not from this guy in that article, but from others.
One of my neighbors has a really clean record, but frankly, riding with him is scary....... RISK is what it's about, he's high risk.
I have a friend like that. What’s funny is that he’s in the insurance business. Scary as hell to ride with.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a friend like that. What’s funny is that he’s in the insurance business. Scary as hell to ride with.
you just reminded me of what I told my son this week as we were driving through town.
Last week I was headed to a place where we shop now and then. I got off I35 at the normal exit. A small vehicle (Ford something, tiny SUV) was behind me.
Light turned, we both turned left toward the street that lead north into town. He followed pretty close behind me - hard to see his grill.
Stopped at the next light waiting to turn right onto the 4 lane into town. I wasn't driving like an old fart, I was keeping a decent pace with traffic. As I rounded the corner into the close lane like you are supposed to do - he buzzed around me in the left lane. I watched as he zipped up to light, hit the brakes, then zipped away, going around cars like some impatient dude late for an important life or death meeting.
The Ford was wrapped - the whole thing was one big PROGRESSIVE insurance billboard.
So, that's who sells their insurance? someone who should be paying a higher rate themselves?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree with that. I see the issue here is the fact that the car manufacturer took info from a car that a person owns and sold it to another company that in turn made the customer pay more for
Insurance premiums. I would think most people would ask what business does a car manufacture have getting involved with a deal you have with an insurance company.
There are two separate issues here that you are treating as one. The first is the collection of data from the vehicle. The second is the belief by some that they are being watched in real time while the data is collected.
Sponsored