Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When I worked at a Chrysler/Plymouth dealer body shop in the 70’s, I remember us cutting 2 Chargers in half to make one good one. I swear, that car had so much filler in it, we had to put air shocks on it so the rear end didn’t drag. All paid for by insurance. I remember when the guy picked it up. He was ecstatic!
I was called to look at a Camaro for a fellow - it had been through the same. They did a dang good job - hardly any filler, but the thing that got my attention was the way the windshield was cracked. I crawled under it and found where it had been "halved".
It looked good but the resulting "twist" would likely have led to a life of trouble with it.

I actually quartered a 67 Rebel years ago - not the quarter panel but almost the whole RR quarter of the car. My brother drove it for years with no issues at all.

I also put a left side on a wagon - B pillar, both left doors, sills, rocker panel, etc. and I drove it myself for a couple of years and sold it.
It also had no issues (other than I was poor, in college and drove it with a bad regulator and had to charge the battery every other night - it was my get to work car)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Higher_Ground

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
So the Jeep lives! I may have to give the full update on Monday when I'm not typing on a phone.

I go to pick it up and notice the hood isn't quite aligned and the bumper/plastic closure panels are off a good bit. They agree to fix that in writing at later date so I can still drive it around. I'm supposed to contact them to schedule any additional repairs before the end of the year.

The manager is new, says he comes from a chain body shop, and seems to be honest and knowledgeable compared to his predecessor. He runs off to a meeting while I'm looking at the paper work. After we note the hood and bumper, I give them a check and I go to leave. The engine won't turn over.

I go back inside, only the two ladies that answer the phone are there. I tell them it won't turn over and it's flashing a low fuel light. They say "it can't be the battery they've been driving it around all week" so they try to arrange for a gas can. Their gofer had already left, puttering away on a little forklift (one lady jokes they won't buy him a golf cart so, forklift).

They call the Service Dept and ask for Jojo to bring some gas. A few min later a minivan pulls up and a man comes in the door empty handed. They ask him "Where is the gas can" and he unloads a few f bombs and other choice words. He leaves and the ladies say "he's from Kurdistan or something" and I joke he must only know a few words so far in English. He comes back 15 min later with a really old gas can and puts in 5gal. It still doesn't start. "Must be the battery" (duh) and they jump it with a little charger. Stupid me leaves at this point hoping to not waste any more of my day.

I get home and when I go to leave the battery is dead. Not totally unexpected and I jump it and then drive around a lot, but remember I only have 5 gal of gas.

I get it charged enough to start reliably but the ESS isn't working, giving a "battery charging" message. I call them back to bring it in to see if one or both batteries are bad.

I bring it in on Tuesday. They take it over to the service dept. Like 30 mins go by and they decide to call to see why it's taking so long. I can hear the guy over the phone say "it says another 3 hrs to charge and then I got to do the other battery". I tell her "AutoZone would have me out the door with a new battery in 15 min". They call service back and tell them to just put a new battery in it.

Since then I think maybe the steering wheel is 1-2deg off. Nothing else wrong so far. I took it down a dirt road and put it in 4wd.

I am a bit concerned about the bumper alignment. The hooks are not the same distance to the grill. I didn't measure yet but using a stick looks like .75". Is there that much play in adjusting the bumper or is that an indication sometime is still messed up?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You may end up getting screwed on the other stuff.
Seriously, I'd have never left with it. I'd have told them - "YOU FIX THIS or you get no money, no signature from me"
Once you sign a paper, it's done, you are done, they are done.

Sorry, but I'm rather at a loss as to why you even took it off their property.
There's no way in hell I'd have left knowing there was even a small bolt out of place.
Good luck getting them to finish the job now.

I tell her "AutoZone would have me out the door with a new battery in 15 min".
Wow, there's no way to charge a battery in 15 minutes. It's really bad to take a battery that low and let the vehicle charge it.
You'd be far far better off waiting for the full charge.
You asked for trouble rushing them like that.
Autozone knows shit about batteries - nothing. They get people in and out fast - that's why they shove you and your battery out the door in 15 minutes. NO battery is charged and vehicle ready by then.

OP
OP
Higher_Ground

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Take your aggression somewhere else. It's certainly not for my benefit.

I said AutoZone would have me out the door with a new battery. Not that they could charge it in 15 minutes. Why did you jump down my throat over that?

They let my battery die. I had no intention of leaving without a new one but instead of throwing a hissy fit I let them come to that conclusion with a simple observation about chain auto part stores.

I had to take time off of work to pick this up. I have been without a vehicle for SEVEN months. You wouldn't leave it any longer either, idc what you say about "one bolt".

The flack I've been getting over this is insane.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Higher_Ground

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I left the field blank indicating that the repairs were acceptable. There is a field for additional work due to the customer that specifically says to align the hood and bumper.

Who knows, maybe they will prove to be incapable of doing that but they are on paper with their own signature stating that they will. The insurance company has not finished paying them, and I don't plan on waiting around forever to bring it back - BUT I am not leaving it for an indefinite period either. I can't afford to be without a vehicle any longer.

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
Take your aggression somewhere else. It's certainly not for my benefit.

I said AutoZone would have me out the door with a new battery. Not that they could charge it in 15 minutes. Why did you jump down my throat over that?

They let my battery die. I had no intention of leaving without a new one but instead of throwing a hissy fit I let them come to that conclusion with a simple observation about chain auto part stores.

I had to take time off of work to pick this up. I have been without a vehicle for SEVEN months. You wouldn't leave it any longer either, idc what you say about "one bolt".

The flack I've been getting over this is insane.
Brother, you have been a saint in this terrible situation.
Any perceived flack you have felt must have come from your sense of being mistreated by both the stealership and insurance. I have followed this thread, and can say from a third party position that most comments have been in your defense.

How you have managed to endure this mess is beyond me, I would have been postal after month # 3. So chin up, and learn from this mess, but in the future, do not trust or rely on anyone without a vested interest in your wellbeing, because from what I have read, nobody outside of this forum concerning your vehicle has cared one iota about your grueling process.

You are the better person in this situation, not the dealer, or the insurance.
I truly hope you are satisfied going forward with your gladiator.
Sponsored