Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Updated as parts are decided and arrive:

• Platform - 2022 Sarge Green Rubicon
  • Suspension/steering
    • 3.5" Clayton Offroad Overland +
    • Bilstein 5100 (the Falcon 3.3 I want has about a 8 month wait)
    • Steer Smarts Yeti XD drag link
    • Steer Smarts Yeti XD Tie rod
    • Steer Smarts track bar relocation bracket
  • Wheels
    • Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT, 37x12.5x17
  • Protection
    • Front bumper - Hefty Fabworks
    • Winch - Badlands Apex 12k

Well, I'll soon be in the Jeep club and thought this might make sense to track our progress in this journey.

Background
My wife and I are both vets and have extensive outdoor experience (rock/ice/alpine climbing and MTB) but little 4x4 experience. As we age and become physically less able we still need an outlet for exploring. Thus we decided to sell the Tundra and get a JTRD for rowdy adventures that allow us to bring the pup.

Why the Gladiator?
We want a rig that will take us to remote locations and not something that will have us run into limitations of where we can get. I considered a JLU for a moment but after seeing the trips that the folks from Epic Adventure Outfitters and The Story Till Now take I was convinced the Gladiator will go everywhere we want. We selected the diesel for both the range and torque. We don't intend to take this south of the US border so access to diesel should be fine in the US and Canada. So far we only have a VIN number. Hopefully we'll have the beast by sometime in March.

What is it for? What type of trips?
It's not intended as a major rock crawling or mudding type build. I haven't been to a mall in many years and have no intentions of going back. It will go on many shorter weekend trips, but I also intend to complete as many long trips as possible (think the Backcountry Discovery Routes, Pony Express, etc.) trips that will take you off pavement for several days or weeks. I'm doing my best to avoid the overused "O" word but that really is the aim. I am building this to be USED to get us to remote locations so low maintenance needs and high durability are priorities.

ACCC
We're both over sleeping in a ground tent and decided on an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper (ACCC). The weight isn't radically different from a topper+rooftop tent and it provides a ton of options and benefits. The height is a bit more than a low or mid rack + RTT but will offer many benefits that outweigh the mild height concern. Since we will be a bit taller I'm trying to focus heavily on keeping the center of gravity for heavy things like water low. Check out SoCalX for a similar albeit heavier build.

More to come...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Redruby

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I’m just in the process of doing the final touches on my alu cab, as of right now I built everything from left over scraps of material, I want to see if all this will suit my needs and after a few trips when I know that everything is where I want it then I’ll redo everything out of aluminum to save weight

647020CD-B66A-46B2-9DE4-74208AB9E31D.jpeg

3E7699EC-8714-4971-B1B6-94B172192A95.jpeg

72EFB20A-DFDE-4637-89E9-C7632AA6DFF7.jpeg

466753EF-8F42-41B4-B943-8F9916FDA32F.jpeg

D48BF99F-5F71-4DED-B916-F7A1C3D068E0.jpeg

E70961A0-24A1-4415-8755-EBE446A5E7F1.jpeg

65EA5E15-1CC4-4111-9219-E1CCA770BAEA.jpeg

19D6CBE3-B501-4472-B12A-EDE9A1F169C5.jpeg

BA5B92FE-8DBD-4411-B69F-A733F21BDAB3.jpeg

0CD8580C-3DA6-4D99-89E1-8D0B9E6DDB16.jpeg

380742F0-2E36-4F37-BA03-D373A3B3584D.jpeg

OP
OP
CorvusOver

CorvusOver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much lift? What suspension? What shocks? How big should the tires be? What wheels?

These questions plagued me for a while. Some were answered by seeing what others doing routes like those I want to do have achieved. This led me to the size decisions you'll see below.

Tires
37x12.5x17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. It's an odd name for a hybrid tire but whatever. I had considered the Nitto Ridge Grappler as well but the M/T still retains the 3PMS rating needed in our current state for passes and snow driving.

Wheels
Teraflex Nomad. Seen these on several Gladiators with the tire size so I know it works. The rash ring is a nice touch and the ability to quickly air down quickly will be a bonus. If someone decides to be a jackass in a parking lot I'll have an ARB dual compressor to air right back up. I'm waiting on a local quote before ordering both wheels and tires online.

Suspension
Clayton Offroad 3.5" Overland Plus. Clayton is the one company that I have never heard a single negative report about (don't take that as a challenge y'all). The Overland Plus is close to maintenance free with dual durometer bushings. The rear track bar is bent and removes any concern over fitting a 37" tire in the spare location. Clayton has a reputation for overbuilding their products to a high degree. A gentleman I spoke with at a high volume 4x4 shop that carries several other brands basically described them as built to take a beating. Specifically he stated that "if you ever find you need to beat a hole in the side of a dumpster the Clayton control arms would do it without flinching." Sold. I went 3.5 vs 2.5 since why not? Why take a chance on limiting travel ever?

Shocks are the problem. I'd love to get the Falcon 3.3 but those are backordered and if I put a deposit on them now they might arrive in August or September. In the meantime we'll be using Bilstein 5100. Their reliable and relatively inexpensive. If I find them lacking I'll order the Falcons and wait...

OP
OP
CorvusOver

CorvusOver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m just in the process of doing the final touches on my alu cab, as of right now I built everything from left over scraps of material, I want to see if all this will suit my needs and after a few trips when I know that everything is where I want it then I’ll redo everything out of aluminum to save weight

Jeep Gladiator JTRD + Alu-Cab Canopy Camper 380742F0-2E36-4F37-BA03-D373A3B3584D

Jeep Gladiator JTRD + Alu-Cab Canopy Camper 380742F0-2E36-4F37-BA03-D373A3B3584D
We were tempted to go the full Goose Gear route but it's very spendy and rather heavy. We're also planning to take a few trips with bags etc. before building much out back. I do love the idea of an aluminum build for weight. The cabinets in the Overland Explorer Vehicles provide a lot of inspiration for Al cabinet builds.

How long is your fridge and how much spare room do you have? We have a National Luna Classic 50l and I'm wondering if we can fit it in this orientation you have here.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Sounds like you are living the dream, started out saying, not doing a rock crawling or hard core off road and are watching your center of gravity. Now your putting on a 3.5" lift and 37" tires, let Clayton know your putting a camper on, they can probably set you up with a high weight rated spring for rear.. I think the biggest problem we have with gladiators is the pay load, your diesel Rubicon will come in between 980 to 1200 pound rated, the AlumaCab camper weighs 462 pounds compared to a Aluma cab cap and something like a Roofnest Falcon XL combined at about 300. I love the Aluma cab camper also, just couldn't commit the funds or roof top space for surf rods and kayaks. I think most peole doing the Overland thing are overweight, it is really hard to stay that low while carring 13 gallons of water, perhaps 5 gallons of fuel, and everything else.
The guy on "The Road Choose Me" was very enlightning to listen to, he even got the smaller ARB compressor due to cost and weight. Just take the time to really look at what weight you are getting to, I've put on a cap on my Mojave and am building a bed and kitchen for inside, 10-1 3 gallon water tank, frig, stove it all adds up, even passengers weight counts and as long as driver is only 150 pounds they don't count. You will be fine with what you are doing just be a weight weenie a little bit.....Jack

Sponsored

OP
OP
CorvusOver

CorvusOver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you are living the dream, started out saying, not doing a rock crawling or hard core off road and are watching your center of gravity. Now your putting on a 3.5" lift and 37" tires, let Clayton know your putting a camper on, they can probably set you up with a high weight rated spring for rear.. I think the biggest problem we have with gladiators is the pay load, your diesel Rubicon will come in between 980 to 1200 pound rated, the AlumaCab camper weighs 462 pounds compared to a Aluma cab cap and something like a Roofnest Falcon XL combined at about 300. I love the Aluma cab camper also, just couldn't commit the funds or roof top space for surf rods and kayaks. I think most peole doing the Overland thing are overweight, it is really hard to stay that low while carring 13 gallons of water, perhaps 5 gallons of fuel, and everything else.
The guy on "The Road Choose Me" was very enlightning to listen to, he even got the smaller ARB compressor due to cost and weight. Just take the time to really look at what weight you are getting to, I've put on a cap on my Mojave and am building a bed and kitchen for inside, 10-1 3 gallon water tank, frig, stove it all adds up, even passengers weight counts and as long as driver is only 150 pounds they don't count. You will be fine with what you are doing just be a weight weenie a little bit.....Jack
Good considerations. I spoke with Clayton and they are still in the process of testing HD specific rear springs and Diesel specific front springs. No date on those and I'd rather not wait forever - their springs are already heavier than most. If I find I need more I can get them later.

On the weight - I worried about this much more in the past than I do now. The springs will handle what I'm adding. I'm pretty sure I'll be pointing this rig down a bit more rowdy roads than "The road chose me" guy. I've seen his rig and his decisions make sense for his type of travel. Same with The Hourless Life. Different goals lead to different build choices. Compare their trips to Epic or Story till now and you'll see what I mean.

I guess my comment about rock crawling in mudding was more to say that the goal isn't to find these obstacles, but that if a route includes them then I don't want to be held back. For example Lockhart Basin in Moab is a 40 mile trail. Only the first mile has significant obstacles but if you want to go that route it's a dealbreaker if you can't clear the first mile. Most folks I know who crawl only do the first mile since they're interested in the obstacle challenge and get bored with the rest. I want to be able to get to the rest.

This whole thing is about trade offs. e.g. we are not getting the Alu-Cab water tank as it puts all the weight up high. I'll be placing water on the bed and against the bulkhead so it's closer to center. Also keeping the spare underneath keeps the weight low, but does make it harder to access in some situations as well as reduce clearance some. Stubby front bumper has less protection but weight is significantly lower. Everything is a trade off... 🤷‍♂️

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Good considerations. I spoke with Clayton and they are still in the process of testing HD specific rear springs and Diesel specific front springs. No date on those and I'd rather not wait forever - their springs are already heavier than most. If I find I need more I can get them later.

On the weight - I worried about this much more in the past than I do now. The springs will handle what I'm adding. I'm pretty sure I'll be pointing this rig down a bit more rowdy roads than "The road chose me" guy. I've seen his rig and his decisions make sense for his type of travel. Same with The Hourless Life. Different goals lead to different build choices. Compare their trips to Epic or Story till now and you'll see what I mean.

I guess my comment about rock crawling in mudding was more to say that the goal isn't to find these obstacles, but that if a route includes them then I don't want to be held back. For example Lockhart Basin in Moab is a 40 mile trail. Only the first mile has significant obstacles but if you want to go that route it's a dealbreaker if you can't clear the first mile. Most folks I know who crawl only do the first mile since they're interested in the obstacle challenge and get bored with the rest. I want to be able to get to the rest.

This whole thing is about trade offs. e.g. we are not getting the Alu-Cab water tank as it puts all the weight up high. I'll be placing water on the bed and against the bulkhead so it's closer to center. Also keeping the spare underneath keeps the weight low, but does make it harder to access in some situations as well as reduce clearance some. Stubby front bumper has less protection but weight is significantly lower. Everything is a trade off... 🤷‍♂️
So how is the Jeep...mods...process...journeys...going. Like your thought process.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
We out an ACCC on our Mojave. We added a 3“ JKS lift because it was one of the few available at the time due to Covid supply issues. We had to use shock extenders to handle the longer Mojave shocks. I have since replaced the rear shocks with Fox Elite 2.5s and will do the fronts in a few weeks since I can tell a bit of a difference with the rear. i put airbags in the rear when I first installed the camper but have reduced the pressure since changing shocks. I put 35s on it right before Christmas.

We considered Goose Gear but wanted more flexibility and the ease of removal, so I built it out of 80/20 and Dewalt boxes. We used the cushion from the pass through to make a couch. Works great.

We are right at max weight with LOD steel bumpers, Warn winch, ARB dual compressor, Dometic fridge, 20l Jerry can (we have two but usually just take one), EE dual burner stove, and everything else.

I had a buddy make a bracket for the tailgate camera and brand motion rear view mirror camera.

Jeep Gladiator JTRD + Alu-Cab Canopy Camper 3C0DB5FE-B662-456D-B5AC-0D5137D75477

Jeep Gladiator JTRD + Alu-Cab Canopy Camper E89A2AC5-3424-4CDD-84C1-069B2513797C

Jeep Gladiator JTRD + Alu-Cab Canopy Camper 83C2F075-1656-4632-9745-7CC557354F9C

Jeep Gladiator JTRD + Alu-Cab Canopy Camper 0CCB0436-FC0A-4EAB-9D9F-81529A246823

Jeep Gladiator JTRD + Alu-Cab Canopy Camper 18F7D021-D991-48C7-B9E7-17624B084753

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
We out an ACCC on our Mojave. We added a 3“ JKS lift because it was one of the few available at the time due to Covid supply issues. We had to use shock extenders to handle the longer Mojave shocks. I have since replaced the rear shocks with Fox Elite 2.5s and will do the fronts in a few weeks since I can tell a bit of a difference with the rear. i put airbags in the rear when I first installed the camper but have reduced the pressure since changing shocks. I put 35s on it right before Christmas.

We considered Goose Gear but wanted more flexibility and the ease of removal, so I built it out of 80/20 and Dewalt boxes. We used the cushion from the pass through to make a couch. Works great.

We are right at max weight with LOD steel bumpers, Warn winch, ARB dual compressor, Dometic fridge, 20l Jerry can (we have two but usually just take one), EE dual burner stove, and everything else.

I had a buddy make a bracket for the tailgate camera and brand motion rear view mirror camera.

Jeep Gladiator JTRD + Alu-Cab Canopy Camper 18F7D021-D991-48C7-B9E7-17624B084753

Great build...congrats...you should be proud! But (yep, there is that but...)...you have soooo much more in this build than you are addressing)...what are your thoughts? What were your trade-offs...compromises...reasoning...yep, I'm sucking your brains!

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Great build...congrats...you should be proud! But (yep, there is that but...)...you have soooo much more in this build than you are addressing)...what are your thoughts? What were your trade-offs...compromises...reasoning...yep, I'm sucking your brains!
Oh yeah, there is a lot more to it. Had I known we were going to put a camper on it rather than an RSI topper as planned, I would have bought a Rubicon. I think it would have helped with suspension issues without lifting it.

I have added a light to the back to better light the kitchen area but also so I can see the lock on the door without having to use a flashlight.

The cameras are a big help. Losing the rearview mirror AND tailgate camera were a major inconvenience. I think AluCab really dropped the ball by not producing some sort of bracket to mount them. Actually, I should say sell a bracket because they did make a prototype. I have considered having mine remade so it is shorter and will fit in the middle, but then I have to drill more holes.

The void between the cab and camper is a huge wasted space, so installing hinges and a hasp are a great way to get more storage. Especially for dirty clothes and shoes.

The Expedition Essentials stove is awesome. It is so nice to have table space and a stove in a fast deploy system. I am going to move the propane tank to the passenger side of the truck and then pipe it into the truck and put a Y on it. That will allow me to run the buddy heater off one and run a quick connect back out of the camper to fuel the stove.

I had a Genesis dual battery system installed and then solar. Had I thought about it more, I might have gone a different route than the Genesis just to have something more flexible.

Fans are a must. One downstairs to help push air up and then two mounted to the trap door. When we are sleeping the trap door is in the open position so those fans blow on us.

Let me know if you have questions, there are probably things I am skipping.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CorvusOver

CorvusOver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have added a light to the back to better light the kitchen area but also so I can see the lock on the door without having to use a flashlight.

The cameras are a big help.

The void between the cab and camper is a huge wasted space, so installing hinges and a hasp are a great way to get more storage. Especially for dirty clothes and shoes.

The Expedition Essentials stove is awesome.

I had a Genesis dual battery system installed and then solar.

Fans are a must.
  • Camera: Did you fab the camera relocation bracket or purchase somewhere? I have the 813 version ready to go and hope it is sized to fit UNDER the third brake light. We're also considering one of the rearview camera replacements but haven't done a ton of research on them yet.
  • Fans: We do plan to have them but haven't decided on a built in or rechargeable versions. I'll have a DeWalt battery chainsaw and charger so may get their 20v fan then we can put it anywhere.
  • Power: Already sitting on part of a system (LiFePo, B2B charger, inverter) to power several things. Haven't decided if we will need solar as the B2B charger will likely take care of most of our recharging since we're not necessarily planning to stay in one location very long without driving.
  • The VOID: I've seen the hatch hack you're referring to. I'll see how things go before making that mod.
  • Stove/Kitchen: At first glance I like the EE stove spot but we already have a Partner Stove 22" which won't work with these. More importantly I'm still deciding if I want to make the drivers side hatch the galley and use a table. A small table would allow us to cook wherever instead of being stuck only using the door area.
  • Lights: TBD - I know we'll want something but I'll wait a bit to determine how many and where. I'm still focused on lights in front for now (fog, large off-road, ditch) but thinking for camp some ambient light (rock lights) as well as task lighting will be handy. It's a second or third tier thing to get the rear bumper but I really want better reverse lights to fit there.

Redruby

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I purchased a rear camera relocation bracket from Mule Expeditions and installed almost in the center between the Alu and the bumper, works great

C20EDCF2-A254-401D-A21E-E9030C73B41C.jpeg

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I purchased a rear camera relocation bracket from Mule Expeditions and installed almost in the center between the Alu and the bumper, works great

Jeep Gladiator JTRD + Alu-Cab Canopy Camper C20EDCF2-A254-401D-A21E-E9030C73B41C

I have one of those that I did not use that I can sell cheap. It works great except I usually have bikes on the back so it was blocked a lot of the time.

OP
OP
CorvusOver

CorvusOver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have one of those that I did not use that I can sell cheap. It works great except I usually have bikes on the back so it was blocked a lot of the time.
Already have the 813 designs version. It sits above the door but below the 3rd brake light. It also has a space for a second camera to replace the soon to be useless rearview.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Already have the 813 designs version. It sits above the door but below the 3rd brake light. It also has a space for a second camera to replace the soon to be useless rearview.
The 813 bracket is nice. I wish Jeremy had been making them when I had mine made, but I was a month or two ahead of him.
Sponsored