First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Ninja
Hey, looking for suggestions on license plate light units. I switched to Metalcloak's rear steel bumper, and I did not have success getting their included light to work. Ideally looking for a unit that does not require splicing and plugs in directly to the factor wiring harness. Suggestions/tips appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
What is the issue with the light they provided? Works fine for me and was easy to do.

OP
OP

J33p3r_b3ast

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Ninja
What is the issue with the light they provided? Works fine for me and was easy to do.
I found the wiring a bit flimsy, and mainly was looking for an alternative that utilized the exiting harness connector as opposed to dealing with splicing directly to the factory harness.

Found this not long after posting my question — https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/led-license-plate-light-jeep-wrangler-jl

This uses the factory harness connection. I have not been able to find that connector piece anywhere, so while initially I will use the set-up as is, later can cut the wire and splice an alternative light to this connector, and leave the factory harness as-is.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I found the wiring a bit flimsy, and mainly was looking for an alternative that utilized the exiting harness connector as opposed to dealing with splicing directly to the factory harness.

Found this not long after posting my question — https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/led-license-plate-light-jeep-wrangler-jl

This uses the factory harness connection. I have not been able to find that connector piece anywhere, so while initially I will use the set-up as is, later can cut the wire and splice an alternative light to this connector, and leave the factory harness as-is.
Oh I like that.

Be very careful though about that stock harness. It is so difficult to get off/get it apart without ripping out the wires from the harness.

JET222

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Oh I like that.

Be very careful though about that stock harness. It is so difficult to get off/get it apart without ripping out the wires from the harness.
I learned that the hard way when putting on my tow hitch. I had to splice it back together. It pulled out with barely any force.

Sponsored

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Pacifica Limited; ‘20 Mojave
Can anyone give me a tip on how to unplug the rear license plate harness connectors? I’m trying to remove my rear bumper and I’m having a hell of a time with that.

Rocinante

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I used a smal flat head and after popong the red tab out just kept prying out gently until it came out.

When replacing the bumper i pulled the connector (missed it when unplugging) and ended up pulling the cables from the plug housing on the truck side (female). I attempted to plug it back in but it did not work. Aside from having to chase the whole wire harness and replace it, anybody has any ideas for fixing or replacing that plug so as to connect the lic plate lights again?

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Service Member
I used a smal flat head and after popong the red tab out just kept prying out gently until it came out.

When replacing the bumper i pulled the connector (missed it when unplugging) and ended up pulling the cables from the plug housing on the truck side (female). I attempted to plug it back in but it did not work. Aside from having to chase the whole wire harness and replace it, anybody has any ideas for fixing or replacing that plug so as to connect the lic plate lights again?
Old thread I know, but were you to find a fix for this? I did the same thing today.
Sponsored