First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired law enforcement
Hey folks, does anyone out there know a Florida dealer willing to match Gupton's price of 8% under invoice. Want to order now but closer to home. Thanks to all!
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
LOL...... best I have heard of in this state is half that, plus dealer fees are around $800 (as you may know)

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
I remember a post about the dealer in NSB giving good deals, check with them, and Half Wall Brewery is right down the road, good food, good beer, road trip!

OP
OP

Aquadude

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired law enforcement
I remember a post about the dealer in NSB giving good deals, check with them, and Half Wall Brewery is right down the road, good food, good beer, road trip!
Ok, at the risk of feeling stupid since I have lived here 30 years, where is NSB?

OP
OP

Aquadude

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired law enforcement
Ok, at the risk of feeling stupid since I have lived here 30 years, where is NSB?
My wife, a native, just said New Smyrna Beach, is that right?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Aquadude

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired law enforcement
LOL...... best I have heard of in this state is half that, plus dealer fees are around $800 (as you may know)
You are so right. And most of the ones I have found are 1000.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
I got mine out of Georgia and paid the $350 to get it delivered to Ft Lauderdale. Dealers around here suck. I got 6k off my $46k sticker and leased it with 78% residual. Unreal deal in all honestly. $46k sticker, $300/mth 24 months

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
I got mine at the NSB dealer! They were best price I could find here in central Florida also

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Why not buy and drive it home? You only need a good dealer near you for service

Sponsored

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Military
Hey folks, does anyone out there know a Florida dealer willing to match Gupton's price of 8% under invoice. Want to order now but closer to home. Thanks to all!
What's the particulars on Gupton? Dealer fee? Addendum stickers that add paint protection and all sorts of mystical crap? How do they treat you on a trade in?

Jerry Ulm in Tampa claims to be the largest seller of Gladiators in Florida. They have a dealer fee and they have addendum stickers, but deals can be cut if you're not too wimpy to stand up to all typical dealer B.S. and threaten to walk at the slightest annoyance.

Whether or not you have a trade in makes all deals much, much harder to cut and keep track of where the money went.

The five parts of the car deal: 1. Value you get for your trade. 2. How much of a discount you get off the new vehicle. 3. Not letting the finance guy steal back money by giving you a higher interest rate than the bank gave him to give you. (The bank says you get 3.9%, he raises it to 6.3% to steal money back and says that all you qualified for.) 4. Making dealer fees and addendum stickers disappear, and ideally getting the goodies that were on them for free. 5. Not letting them sell you finance products and wrapping them into the loan, extended warranties, gap protection, etc. Those are all highly negotiable and better paid for separately if you really need one of them. For example, Allstate now sells gap protection at silly prices like $9 every 6 months. They sell tire and wheel insurance too. This stuff buries you at trade in time.

Ask yourself: Why would you pay $75 for nitrogen to be put in the tires of an off-road vehicle that says to deflate the tires some when go off-road? Point that out to these idiot dealers. You gonna be carrying a nitrogen tank with you? Ask them that. Humiliate them!

Another finance guy tactic is he'll offer to cut the interest rate, say 1%, if you buy an extended warranty, etc. Take his money, then cancel the warranty the next day. You can do that, but he can't then change the interest rate. The money will then get sent to whoever financed the vehicle, lowering your payoff. If you're financing the vehicle and the guy is hard-selling you an extended warranty test him out to see if he's effing you. Say, "you're saying I'm getting 4.9%." Tell him, "I'll take the warranty if you can get that down to 3.9%." If he can do that, your rate was lower all along. Again, take it and cancel the next day. You're now effing him because he was effing you.

One problem with Florida, however, is the dealers all claim that the price of extended warranties is regulated by the state, making their cost non-negotiable and very expensive. So that makes buying a vehicle out of state attractive if you need that warranty.

So I recommend giving Jerry Ulm a try, but have the Gupton ad in your hand, and make it clear that you're up for a roadtrip, but would rather buy local and keep the money in Florida.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Aquadude

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired law enforcement
Hey James, thanks for the info. Maybe I can help a lot of folks here with this update. When I first started looking at the Gladiators, I was told by every Florida dealer there were no incentives (although there is now on the Overland) and that they would not deal on one. When the Mojave came out, I was hooked so I decided to bite it and get one. That is when I started to notice that they WILL deal on one, although not much. I put it out for bid to about 8 or 9 dealers with prices all over the place and high dealer fees anywhere from $700 to $1200. Ridiculous. I am pretty good at buying cars and know most of the games they play but this was all over the place. The worst one was Greenway Dodge in Orlando which turned a $59,145 MSRP into $67K plus. The ass chewing that guy got I'm sure he will remember for a while.

So here is what I typically do. I am not looking for the best interest rate, extended warranties, add-ons, window tint, fabric treatment and all the like. What I want to know is price of the new vehicle and dealer fee, period. No BS, no back and forth, just that.

And that brings me to Gupton. First of all, this was as no nonsense as I have ever seen. Its as straight a deal as I've ever seen. Its real simple: 6% under invoice with a straight purchase, 7% with Tread Lightly membership or their financing, and 8% with Tread Lightly AND their financing. I found Daniel Gupton to be one of the nicest and easiest people to deal with. I left him a message, he returned the call, I left him an email, he returned it promptly. And the $399 dealer fee, fair. The only other fee they charge is a $7.50 temp tag fee, which is way cheaper than here and certainly no big deal.

The only reason I wanted to get one in this area was simply distance. So when I tried to get the local dealers to match or get close, most of them about lost their minds. I was told there was no way anyone would sell a Mojave and lose money. And when I say lost their minds, that was putting it mildly. By the way they tried to justify how I was getting ripped off, that the deal would change when I got there, etc., I knew I was on to something good at Gupton Motors. There were only two here in the area that got close and that was Lakeland Dodge and Napelton. One guy in the Tampa area tried to tell me that two people had tried to buy one at "that dealer in Tennessee" and had walked away and came to him after they tried to change the deal and add on stuff. That turned out to be a lie.

So I called and spoke with Daniel Gupton, one of the owners of the dealership. I found him to be one of the most pleasant people I have ever dealt with. The deal is just like I mentioned above, straight and no games. I asked him a ton of questions, all answered to my satisfaction. I asked him about the financing and is it some jacked up rate and it is not. It is simply the rate you qualify for from 11 different sources they have. The only caveat is that you have to keep the loan 6 months before paying it off. He seems to be, and most importantly I believe him to be, a man of his word. Hard to find in the car business but definitely warranted here.

So I hope I have helped some folks with this post.

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Great info on Gupton, Greg. Knowing this, I'm definitely keeping Gupton in mind for the future, because I don't mind road trips, especially when the Fall colors are popping.

The Jeep dealer in Crystal River used that line on me too: "When you get there, they won't give you what they said over the phone/email/text for your trade and you won't get the sales price." I said in response, isn't that what you just did to get me in here? He was offering me in the $40s for the Vette, that had a KBB value of $56k. I've sent efftards like that a picture of "the deal they say can't happen," the next day, before.

That clown at Crystal River Jeep promised me $56k for the Vette over the phone, telling me he had used car dealers who specialize in Vettes standing by to take the car. I get there, and he switches his tune to say the Vette is only worth forty-something. What a liar he turned out to be.

I'll just tack it on to this, but one piece I forgot to talk about for those new to negotiating car deals is the sales tax issue. I traded in an almost new Corvette on our Mojave. I got $56k for the Vette and the Mojave was $61k MSRP, which I got discounted to $59k. People say: "Sell your trade before you buy, you'll get more money." Okay, say I had of private party'd the Vette and got $57k. I would have then had to pay sales tax on the whole amount of the Mojave. For example, if I got $56k for my Vette and got the Mojave for $59k, I owed sales tax on $3,000 versus owing it on $59,000. Yeah, do the math on that.

For those of you buying and (4)wheeling and dealing, please think about that tax issue.

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Greg,

What is Gupton doing on extended warranties if you can answer that question?

Those things are "highly negotiable" in most states. It's literally a game of if you didn't get around at least 50% off the cost of the product, you got screwed. And, of course, be wary and aware of the "3rd party" warranty instead of a true manufacturer brand warranty.

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
"The only reason I wanted to get one in this area was simply distance."
You know, the distance thing is another part of the price equation, especially if there isn't a very notable difference in savings by going out of state.

For example, the Gov't pays me .48 cents per mile whenever I use my vehicle to go to a VA hospital, etc. Same goes for Gov't workers going on travel, etc. It's supposed to cover my fuel, maintenance, and mileage depreciation on the vehicle.

So you have to ask yourself and determine what's the cost of going to Tennessee from Florida? And, of course, it's always better for the State of Florida and it's workers, if we can keep our dollars in the state.
Sponsored