First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I know, this of first world problems. I lost two hats so far, driving the gladiator with the top off. The first time I just had the freedom panels off. Darn wind sucked my favorite hat out the top and onto the freeway. Second time the truck was completely naked. Drove by a semi and a rush of wind blew the hat out the driver side opening.

I got longish hair so I have to wear a hat or pony tail. And I ain’t wearing a pony tail. Beanies seem to be the best option but it still gets to hot in afternoons to wear one. My struggle is real.

I need a hat with a chin strap. Anyone else lost a hat?
Presuming you are wearing a baseball cap type hat - you need something you can attach/loop over the adjusting band in the back and attach to your clothing with gator clip. Get in, loop and attach. Unclip when you get out.

(And then I scrolled through other posts and saw a suggestion exactly like I suggested)
Sponsored

OP
OP
PDiddy

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
ProTip: the gear shifter/selector doubles as a great hat rack. The 2W/4W selector functions as a secondary wind proof hat rack.
Presuming you are wearing a baseball cap type hat - you need something you can attach/loop over the adjusting band in the back and attach to your clothing with gator clip. Get in, loop and attach. Unclip when you get out.

(And then I scrolled through other posts and saw a suggestion exactly like I suggested)

yup, that is the best option for me, since I need to wear a hat. Or my hair whips my eyes like a rabid cat. I’ll be ordering one on Amazon.

PastV1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Hydro Blue soon, 2014 Highlander
Newbie here with a wind question. With just the freedom top off is there a rumble in the jeep? ie with a sunroof open and you reach up with your hand and hold down the air deflector.

Thanks!

Keith

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Newbie here with a wind question. With just the freedom top off is there a rumble in the jeep? ie with a sunroof open and you reach up with your hand and hold down the air deflector.

Thanks!

Keith
One fine day in June I took the freedom panels off and drove about 90 miles that way. Was toasty when I started but as I neared the cost the temp dropped 20 degrees. Still pleasant. Yes, there is noise from the wind - like having an open window. But that is all I experienced. And the stereo was playing and the sound was just fine.

Note - this was on my Wrangler. I have not taken the panels off my Gladiator yet.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I always ware a baseball style cap. Came close a few times when doorless and then I discovered If I am going over 35mph, just flip the hat backwards and it stays put.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PDiddy

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I always ware a baseball style cap. Came close a few times when doorless and then I discovered If I am going over 35mph, just flip the hat backwards and it stays put.
I have heard this a couple times too. I need to try it. I just put the top and doors back on for a few days. It’s going to get back up to 100 over the next few days. So I’ll try this out once it cools back down. Tube doors show up on Tuesday, so I’ll be itching to strip the gladiator down.

Roaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport
This thread was bad luck for me. I read it yesterday and then on the way home from work last night with the top and doors off, I lost my hat while passing a semi. I had it on backwards and it got lifted off of my head and thrown out the back before I could even react.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I haven’t lost a hat, but my fiancée and I have both come close to losing hats. We’ve found that a hat will get sucked out a lot easier with the roof panels out vs having the whole top off. It’s way less turbulent with the whole top off.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
ProTip: the gear shifter/selector doubles as a great hat rack. The 2W/4W selector functions as a secondary wind proof hat rack.
That's where I put mine when I had the doors off - and had my mask around the 2w/4w lever.
Still the hat was straight out to the right it's been so windy here, good thing the adjusting strap held on the hat. It was blowing like a kite.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t lost a hat, but my fiancée and I have both come close to losing hats. We’ve found that a hat will get sucked out a lot easier with the roof panels out vs having the whole top off. It’s way less turbulent with the whole top off.
I didn't think so this week. It was suggested I had so much turbulence because the roof was still on, so took that off, too - no difference. I was still getting blown around and everything was still blowing around.
Of course that was doors off, too.
I frankly saw no difference at all, trying it both ways.
Maybe if you are in a state where the wind is never above 1 mph...............

DOORS ON - I can wear a hat just fine with the panels only out. No issue, don't even have to wear it backwards, but whole top off- it gets sucked off my head.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I didn't think so this week. It was suggested I had so much turbulence because the roof was still on, so took that off, too - no difference. I was still getting blown around and everything was still blowing around.
Of course that was doors off, too.
I frankly saw no difference at all, trying it both ways.
Maybe if you are in a state where the wind is never above 1 mph...............

DOORS ON - I can wear a hat just fine with the panels only out. No issue, don't even have to wear it backwards, but whole top off- it gets sucked off my head.
I’ve never taken the doors off. I’m talking doors on, roof panels off vs doors on, roof completely removed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve never taken the doors off. I’m talking doors on, roof panels off vs doors on, roof completely removed.
I've done it in every combination. (except I've not taken the rear doors off)

DOORS ON -
I can easily wear a hat with the panels out, roof on.
But with the roof off it's a lot more windy in there.
My wife likes it panels out and roof on but when I take the roof off it's more like "when are you putting the roof back on" because it messes with her hair and blows things out.
She doesn't mind the panels out at all, but doesn't care for the whole roof being off.

It makes sense since the rear is then open and the air goes straight though pulling things back with it instead of being trapped inside.

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
I've done it in every combination. (except I've not taken the rear doors off)

DOORS ON -
I can easily wear a hat with the panels out, roof on.
But with the roof off it's a lot more windy in there.
My wife likes it panels out and roof on but when I take the roof off it's more like "when are you putting the roof back on" because it messes with her hair and blows things out.
She doesn't mind the panels out at all, but doesn't care for the whole roof being off.

It makes sense since the rear is then open and the air goes straight though pulling things back with it instead of being trapped inside.

My wife has one of these stickers on her Jeep

Jeep Gladiator Losing hats 1601177289715

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has one of these stickers on her Jeep

Jeep Gladiator Losing hats 1601177289715
She's ok with it if not going to church or places where she's trying to look cleaned up a bit.... she likes taking this truck to church for some reason. (and that's a 30 minute drive)

Going some places she simply wears a hat. Short drives, ok.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The Tilley I have is 20+ years old and the strap has worn out. My new wife doesn't dig the look, anyway. Definitely worth the money if you can get by with the way it sets on your noggin.

I have a couple Tilley hats with chin straps, good quality hats. Bought them years ago for river fishing and rafting. Might not be your style, and they're kinda on the pricey side for a recreation hat, but they are guaranteed for life. Sometimes you really need that chin strap.
Sponsored