Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The Tilley I have is 20+ years old and the strap has worn out. My new wife doesn't dig the look, anyway. Definitely worth the money if you can get by with the way it sets on your noggin.
My wife might like the look of that on me - I have a more floppy smaller version, leather, I got in Alaska. And the examples of the Tilley on the web sort of look like a hat I got to keep the sun off me at car shows and swap meets.
Sponsored

s35keith

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Firefighter
A couple of boonie hats with straps (Government issue). And then a carabiner on the Molle straps for ball cap holder.
Jeep Gladiator Losing hats 20200917_114805

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
... I need a hat with a chin strap. Anyone else lost a hat?
Oh yeah. Except not while actually driving. We had stopped after running the K-Trail in Oklahoma (no longer open, so don't bother asking where) and I was hurriedly setting up to shoot this photo ...

Jeep Gladiator Losing hats K-Trail II, Feb 13, 5D-2087, James Takes Photo

I wear a full-brim hat (also a pony tail--don't dis me, man!) and holding the full frame HDSLR up to my face tends to push the hat up a bit. It was windy and the hat blew off into a shallow ditch. I figured I'd retrieve it after capturing the shot. Of course, I forgot.

That hat had a lot of great memories, including 90 miles, ten days of hiking Philmont Scout Ranch in 2005, and lots of Jeep adventures all over North America. I knew where the hat was and was about thirty miles away when I remembered it. I could have returned and retrieved it, but decided not to. Anyway, I have a replacement hat from Dorfman-Pacific that I like even better. Occasionally I'll have some passerby comment favorably on it.

Full-brim hats have become a bit more common now, but still not seen as much as a ball cap. When folks ask me why I wear a full-brim hat, I ask them if they watch baseball. "What happens when it begins to rain?" "They stop the game." "What I do, I can't just stop. I'm out somewhere remote and have to get along with whatever I'm doing--driving, recovering a stuck vehicle, shooting some video, setting up camp, cooking. I wear a full-brim hat because it provides protection in foul weather."

Jeep Gladiator Losing hats Alaska Trip, May-Jul 16, 5_8547, The Arctic Circle (4x6 crop)

OP
OP
PDiddy

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Oh yeah. Except not while actually driving. We had stopped after running the K-Trail in Oklahoma (no longer open, so don't bother asking where) and I was hurriedly setting up to shoot this photo ...

Jeep Gladiator Losing hats Alaska Trip, May-Jul 16, 5_8547, The Arctic Circle (4x6 crop)

I wear a full-brim hat (also a pony tail--don't dis me, man!) and holding the full frame HDSLR up to my face tends to push the hat up a bit. It was windy and the hat blew off into a shallow ditch. I figured I'd retrieve it after capturing the shot. Of course, I forgot.

That hat had a lot of great memories, including 90 miles, ten days of hiking Philmont Scout Ranch in 2005, and lots of Jeep adventures all over North America. I knew where the hat was and was about thirty miles away when I remembered it. I could have returned and retrieved it, but decided not to. Anyway, I have a replacement hat from Dorfman-Pacific that I like even better. Occasionally I'll have some passerby comment favorably on it.

Full-brim hats have become a bit more common now, but still not seen as much as a ball cap. When folks ask me why I wear a full-brim hat, I ask them if they watch baseball. "What happens when it begins to rain?" "They stop the game." "What I do, I can't just stop. I'm out somewhere remote and have to get along with whatever I'm doing--driving, recovering a stuck vehicle, shooting some video, setting up camp, cooking. I wear a full-brim hat because it provides protection in foul weather."

I would not give you a hard time wearing a pony tail. For some people, it just looks natural. I just don’t think it does when I have one.

I do have a nice full brim hat. I may try that once in a while. For now, I’m waiting for it to get a little cooler so I can wear a beanie. They seem to stick on my head well in the wind.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
It cost me my dignity.

It isn't long enough for a full on pony tail. I gotta do a man bun up high, and I just can't do that look. But yes, that is the easiest solution. Like I said, first world problems.
But if you get the soft top then you'll match your truck... Man those soft tops on the JT look awful. lol

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would not give you a hard time wearing a pony tail. For some people, it just looks natural. I just don’t think it does when I have one.

I do have a nice full brim hat. I may try that once in a while. For now, I’m waiting for it to get a little cooler so I can wear a beanie. They seem to stick on my head well in the wind.
Totally agree - some guys wear them well, others - not so much.
I guess it's the same for hats, IMO - some look great in a full brim hat, others better in a "baseball" cap.
About 5 years ago I noticed a friend of mine from NY was wearing a full brim straw hat to swap meets, to keep the sun off his neck and face. I thought it a good idea and he looked really good in it. So the next year, I wore a straw hat to swap meets. We were the only ones doing it at that time.
So last year, someone wanted to meet up with me at a swap meet and I said "I'll be wearing a straw hat" and he replied - "you and everyone else".
I guess Joe and I started something, about 1/3 of the guys at the swap meets were wearing straw hats. Either that, or we're all just getting old and can't handle the sun like we used to!

orthobill13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
CEO
Does anyone have experience with the Gladiator vs 4 door Wrangler and wind with door and roof off? We had a 4 door wrangler rubicon and the Gladiator with everything off seems to have more wind than the 4 door wrangler. I realize they are both windy, but I don't remember having the same hat issue.

I had to catch my hat on Saturday in the Gladiator... almost a lost hat!

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
The hat I keep in the Jeep has a shoelace wrapped around the size adjuster in the back. I put my head through the loop and use a cord lock to cinch it around my neck. 6+ years and haven't lost a hat yet.

20200928_202715.jpg

20200928_202723.jpg

20200928_202727.jpg

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
I know, this of first world problems. I lost two hats so far, driving the gladiator with the top off. The first time I just had the freedom panels off. Darn wind sucked my favorite hat out the top and onto the freeway. Second time the truck was completely naked. Drove by a semi and a rush of wind blew the hat out the driver side opening.

I got longish hair so I have to wear a hat or pony tail. And I ain’t wearing a pony tail. Beanies seem to be the best option but it still gets to hot in afternoons to wear one. My struggle is real.

I need a hat with a chin strap. Anyone else lost a hat?
8 Pieces Black Adjustable Hat Strap Clips Windproof Strap Clips Cap Retainers Anti-Lost Strap with Cord Locks for Golfing, Fishing, Boating, Sailing and Other Sports https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BKMYWJ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Gu0CFb2S1GJQG

OP
OP
PDiddy

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
PDiddy

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
i purchased a pair of hats for just $6.55 from (website deleted)
Good idea to have a backup. But what happens when you lose the second one? ;)

Last edited:

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a couple Tilley hats with chin straps, good quality hats. Bought them years ago for river fishing and rafting. Might not be your style, and they're kinda on the pricey side for a recreation hat, but they are guaranteed for life. Sometimes you really need that chin strap.
I have several Tilley hats too. They work really well. Adjustable chinstrap. another strap behind the head.
Bought my first one for canoeing. Absolutely essential when the weather is bad in a canoe. They have worked really well in convertibles and the Jeep.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I have several Tilley hats too. They work really well. Adjustable chinstrap. another strap behind the head.
Bought my first one for canoeing. Absolutely essential when the weather is bad in a canoe. They have worked really well in convertibles and the Jeep.
Tilley hat? Check.
Canoeing? Check.
Bad weather canoeing? Check.
Bad weather and still own a convertible? Check.

Must be Canadian. Check. ;) 🇨🇦
Sponsored