First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
So, (set up pictured below...2020 Overland, tow package, stock, 27' LOA trailer, ~5,100 lbs loaded, BlueOx WDH/Sway control combo, Tenkonsha Primus IQ brake conroller) we took our maiden voyage.

Left West Chester, PA bound for Ft. Myers, FL, with a stop in Raleigh, NC (almost half way) to visit a cousin for the night (never got outta NC due to medical issues but that's another story :( ).

Impressions:

First half hour was getting used to the set-up once on the interstate (I-95 southbound). Yes, keeping vigilant as to what's coming up on you r left and, your surroundings is paramount (I stuck to the right lane as much as possible). The extended mirrors from Amazon for the JK and the Thorne Engineering adapters are beyond awesome!!! Keeping an eye on what's coming up allows you to prepare for the semi's that will be passing you like you're standing still, as the initial blast of wind off the front will push you to the right a little, then prepare for the vacuum on the side which will try and suck you into the truck...it's all good if you're ready for it and you won't be pulling the upholstery from your butt crack.

I kept the speed between 60 and 65 where applicable for the trip. Fuel economy from W.C., PA to the Richmond area was about 13mpg. Richmond to Raleigh...12 mpg. I-85 is pretty much UP HILL 95% of the way!!!

Anywho, driving style: As mentioned, 60-65 mph. Shifting: I used the manual shifting the whole time.
Upshifts were at 2,500 rpm between gears.
Cruising was basically between 7th and 8th. Level, down grade was 8th. Upgrades were 7th but, if the speed dropped below 58mph, I would downshift to 6th until I was above 62mph then able to go back to 7th, no muss, no fuss.

I kept the RPMs between 2,000 and 2,500 RPMs. In 7th, typical was between 1,900 and 2,000 RPMs and in 6th, kept below 2,500. 8th was typical ~1,750-1,800.

I was VERY pleasantly surprised as to how well the trailer towed and my Overland handled it. Yes, it's a V-6 but with proper shifting she easily held her own.

I strongly recommend manual shifting. Once on a slight upgrade, I wanted to see what the trans would do in automatic, and it dropped to 4th when previous experience showed 6-7th was more than adequate to maintain speed.

My route was I-95 to north of Baltimore, then I-695, F. Scott Key bridge (can't take gas bottles through the harbor tunnel) around then back to I-95 to DC,495/95 EAST bound....the shorter side of the beltway, back to I-95 to south of Richmond, VA where we picked up I-85 south and the near constant up grade :CWL:.

So, I have read some guys here like to cruise at 65-75 mph and that's great for them, I was VERY comfortable between 60 and 65. Drive your own drive and the hell with what others think. Let' em pass ya.

In a final statement, I would not want to go any bigger for a trailer with this truck, but It is a VERY capable and comfortable tow vehicle. As far as tires, I have the stock 255's but will eventually go with 275's for just a bit wider footprint which I think will help handle the truck blast better. keep the height the same.

Except for the occasional blow around from a big truck, it wasn't the tail wagging the dog at all.

Can't wait for the next journey!!!

Jeep Gladiator Maiden Voyage... 20210310_114521
Sponsored

Last edited:

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
Heck yeah!!! Congrats - hoping to pick us up a camper soon for our own maiden voyage. Glad it all worked out fine for you. Thanks for sharing.

troy_brady

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack, 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle
Occupation
HSE Technician
Thanks for this write up! I have a very similar set up to yours and couldn't agree more that the sweet spot feels to be more in the range of 60-65 mph for highway speeds after pulling our camper and trying to keep at 70 mph.

OP
OP
Labswine

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The only times I noticed the trailer trying to wander was when I was a little off on the lane center but, only on certain stretches of highway. You know how on some highways, the big rigs beat down a 'path' (actually two of them, one for each side of tires) in the lane? I did notice on some stretches that if I wasn't centered on those 'tracks', the trailer wanted to be there and, would go there by itself. They were very few and far between, but after I realized what was going on, handling it was just a matter of adjusting MY track in that lane, pulling the upholstery outta my butt crack, and relaxing a little again.

kstine98

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Sport S max tow
I took my 26 DBHL on a 3 week, 4,000 mile trip and agree with your assessment. My only issue was driving through South Dakota on a windy day. Fought it for an hour, and then just pulled over and waited for the wind to die down (2 hours). I went 55-60.

Sponsored

Helibrdr

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Geek
What model Sonic is your trailer?

OP
OP
Labswine

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:
OP
OP
Labswine

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I took my 26 DBH-L on a 3 week, 4,000 mile trip and agree with your assessment. My only issue was driving through South Dakota on a windy day. Fought it for an hour, and then just pulled over and waited for the wind to die down (2 hours). I went 55-60.
That's a BIG trailer...31' overall :surprised: and I'm guessing loaded you're between 6,500 and 7,000 lbs? Good thing you've got the MaxTow 🤞

Looks like a great floor plan and you do have the rear bunks.

I looked at a few in MY weight range (no MaxTow for the Overland :facepalm:) with rear bunks but decided since it's just me and the Bride, they weren't necessary and we preferred the larger inside space.

Yeah, I can see how the wind can induce some pucker factor:whew: ...cloth seats suck up easier than leather :CWL: (I have the cloth seats in mine too)... Pulling over instead of fighting it was a wise choice.

RubiNewbCB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 07 Mustang GT, 05 Hoe, 90 Fox body 393W
Occupation
USN Seabee (1994-2021Ret.) / Current status DoD Contractor
Are you still towing this trailer? I have a 22 JTRD and I'm considering a 23 Venture Sonic 211VDB it has very similar specs as your trailer. It's this Sonic or a 24 GeoPro 20BHS, or the Imagine 18BH. I'm looking to make the purchase this weekend.

OP
OP
Labswine

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Are you still towing this trailer? I have a 22 JTRD and I'm considering a 23 Venture Sonic 211VDB it has very similar specs as your trailer. It's this Sonic or a 24 GeoPro 20BHS, or the Imagine 18BH. I'm looking to make the purchase this weekend.
I'm still towing my Venture Sonic SN220VRB. LOVE it, it's very comfortable and roomy for it's size. My Overland handles it just fine.

Sponsored

RubiNewbCB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm still towing my Venture Sonic SN220VRB. LOVE it, it's very comfortable and roomy for it's size. My Overland handles it just fine.
Is your Overland is rated at 6k Tow Capacity or more? Have you ever towed the trailer with the Fresh Water tank full?

OP
OP
Labswine

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Is your Overland is rated at 6k Tow Capacity or more? Have you ever towed the trailer with the Fresh Water tank full?
Yes, my Overland has the factory tow package so it's 6K lbs towing capacity.

I've towed with the fresh water tank about 1/4-1/3 full...just enough to be able to flush the toilet on a bathroom break if there's not a rest area around, and have to just pull into a parking lot somewhere. But, a full fresh water tank will only add weight (30 gallons x ~8lb/gallon so ~240lbs) to the trailer as it's actually centered over the axles so it won't really contribute to tongue weight.

That Venture Sonic 211VDB looks like a very nice floor plan. Even has the outdoor kitchen which you will love as any cooking odors won't permeate inside and hang there for days on end. I use my outdoor kitchen almost exclusively. Haven't used the stove or oven yet in mine. Note, your little outdoor fridge is 120V only where as the inside main fridge is 12V and 120V.

Because it's just the Bride and me, we didn't need the extra bunks so...that's why we got the one we did.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
It's a Venture Sonic SN220VRB. Very spacious for it's size (27' overall).

Jeep Gladiator Maiden Voyage... 2021-Venture-RV-Sonic-SN220VRB-Travel-Trailer-Floorplan
Sweet set up.

Too bad my wife and kids have zero interest in camping :mad:

OP
OP
Labswine

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Sweet set up.

Too bad my wife and kids have zero interest in camping :mad:
My wife is originally from Ukraine (became a US Citizen 3/1/24) and they really don't camp there. She was skeptical at first but, has come to really enjoy it.

RubiNewbCB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, my Overland has the factory tow package so it's 6K lbs towing capacity.

I've towed with the fresh water tank about 1/4-1/3 full...just enough to be able to flush the toilet on a bathroom break if there's not a rest area around, and have to just pull into a parking lot somewhere. But, a full fresh water tank will only add weight (30 gallons x ~8lb/gallon so ~240lbs) to the trailer as it's actually centered over the axles so it won't really contribute to tongue weight.

That Venture Sonic 211VDB looks like a very nice floor plan. Even has the outdoor kitchen which you will love as any cooking odors won't permeate inside and hang there for days on end. I use my outdoor kitchen almost exclusively. Haven't used the stove or oven yet in mine. Note, your little outdoor fridge is 120V only where as the inside main fridge is 12V and 120V.

Because it's just the Bride and me, we didn't need the extra bunks so...that's why we got the one we did.
Thanks for sharing, these details definitely provide reassurance along the lines of what was thinking about this camper. This version looks tough!

Would be nice to find one of these.

My wife is Puertorican from Vieques Island, she wasn't into camping either until the last few years, my daughter is 23 and she camps with us and on occasion my nephew tags along. That's why I'm getting the bunkhouse, plus the ladies will only go if they have certain amenities. Otherwise, I'd build out a complete overlanding rig, which I may still do that.

What's your preference for WDH/Sway control?
Sponsored