Sponsored

Maximum FRONT shock length for stock brake lines and steering ??

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Hi,

Likely this has been covered but one can only sift through so many posts before giving up! I am currently running a JKS 3.5 inch lift with their included Fox shocks. When they arrived it was indicated on the box that the extended length was 26.5 inches, based on the lift and stock length I called the vendor and asked for them to ship me the 28 inch Fox shocks and I would return the included shocks. They did not want to play ball. Anyway the shocks are too short in my opinion, at full extension under disconnected flex I have at least a couple inches of brake line to play with and the compressed side has a full 3 inches of shock shaft showing. I am not in the mood to dump $400-500 for new fronts and am wondering if anybody is aware of a good 1.5 inch shock extension?? Much appreciated. This is the last time I buy a 'kit' with the included shocks! Heck, these were even the upgraded shocks and they're still disappointing!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
In theory, you may be able to go to a 29.5” long shock without driveshaft replacement. JKS’ shock length spec may depend on the length of their spring. Synergy advertises that their 2-3” front springs have a “free length” which allow for using the next size longer shocks. TJ kits used to come with spring retainers back in the day. Before you jump to a longer shock, verify that you can go that long without the spring becoming unseated. The Fox 3.5-4” lift front shocks are 28.4” long and might work well if the JKS springs will allow it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bjeepz

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
In theory, you may be able to go to a 29.5” long shock without driveshaft replacement. JKS’ shock length spec may depend on the length of their spring. Synergy advertises that their 2-3” front springs have a “free length” which allow for using the next size longer shocks. TJ kits used to come with spring retainers back in the day. Before you jump to a longer shock, verify that you can go that long without the spring becoming unseated. The Fox 3.5-4” lift front shocks are 28.4” long and might work well if the JKS springs will allow it.

Good point on the free length, I forgot that 2 JK's ago I had spring retainers! I was running the Fox 2.0 4-6 inch lift shocks with a 3 inch lift at the time. I am still waiting to hear back from JKS and the vendor I used regarding some other bits. Doesn't look like they play on this forum.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Good point on the free length, I forgot that 2 JK's ago I had spring retainers! I was running the Fox 2.0 4-6 inch lift shocks with a 3 inch lift at the time. I am still waiting to hear back from JKS and the vendor I used regarding some other bits. Doesn't look like they play on this forum.
Not that I’ve seen. What are your other questions? I’m pretty familiar with that lift.

OP
OP
Bjeepz

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Not that I’ve seen. What are your other questions? I’m pretty familiar with that lift.
The other stuff I am waiting on is just small parts. I am planning to swap the upper sway bar link mounts to the previous style with the posts. I find having to get them to the new disconnected post when disconnecting a pain and prefer to simply remove them.

I guess I just need to find out if the springs can handle another 2 inches of down travel without coming unseated. Then find a quality 2 inch shock extension. I need to keep the cost of this low. If I do get new shocks later it will be all 4 in something firmer. I see evo does a 2.5 but that might be pushing it. The metalcloak mounts look cool but I am running stock wheels. Otherwise I don't think I have to be concerned about any binding or driveshaft issues if I can keep it to 2 inches. On my JK and JKU I ran the AEV geometry brackets so this time I used the JKS brackets.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bjeepz

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
bump! for a forum with this much activity for rigs this expensive the info I am looking for will prove valuable for many owners as time progresses, any feedback that promotes positive discussion is welcome.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The front Fox shocks that come with your lift are their 2-3" lift shocks. They have a collapsed length of 16.8", and an extended length of 26.25". Adding a 2" shock extension spacer changes the effective collapsed length to 18.8. Do you think that will work when the bump stops completely compress (using the lift's 2" bump stop spacer)?

OP
OP
Bjeepz

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
The front Fox shocks that come with your lift are their 2-3" lift shocks. They have a collapsed length of 16.8", and an extended length of 26.25". Adding a 2" shock extension spacer changes the effective collapsed length to 18.8. Do you think that will work when the bump stops completely compress (using the lift's 2" bump stop spacer)?
When disconnected and flexed out there looks to be about three inches of shock shaft still exposed on the compressed side. I need to measure to get an exact number but visually there appears to be plenty of room to work with 2 extra inches compressed

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I just did a search and have this exact issue with this exact kit and shocks. I feel like the shocks are too short. Every time I have the Jeep on Jack stands, the shock is limiting droop. I also feel the rebound on the fox shocks is too light, and my tires slam back from compression. Any updates OP?
Sponsored