Metal cloak rocker and flip step

Armyman247

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Anyone installed the metal cloak overland rocker and flip step kit on their JT? I’ve looked at all steps and so far metal cloak is the only one I like. I’m not worried about quality as I believe metalcloak only sells quality parts. Just want reviews

hows the step work?
Does it lock in place (up or down)?
Does it need tools to flip up or down?
How hard was install?
General reviews?
Etc...
Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I have it on both my JT and JK.

Absolutely love them. Step works very well, but can be a bit slippery in rain/snow. So I put clear skateboard grip tape on the step. Works great.

Yes the step locks in place. There are a few bolts that you use to attach the step to the rail. To change the step you just take the bolts out and literally, flip upside down, the step. it goes from a step that goes below the rail, to flat with the rail. Just keep a drill in your truck and you'll be good to go.

Easy install, mine was difficult for the KT tho as I was the first to get it and there were no instructions lol.

Like I said I have these on my JK, and I have BASHED the ever living fuck out of them. They are still perfect. On harder trails I take the steps off and throw them in the trunk so I don't get caught up on tight trails and such. I'll post a pic once I find some for you.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a side shot of the steps in the "down" position.

IMG_20200722_175607.jpg

OP
OP

Armyman247

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
I have it on both my JT and JK.

Absolutely love them. Step works very well, but can be a bit slippery in rain/snow. So I put clear skateboard grip tape on the step. Works great.

Yes the step locks in place. There are a few bolts that you use to attach the step to the rail. To change the step you just take the bolts out and literally, flip upside down, the step. it goes from a step that goes below the rail, to flat with the rail. Just keep a drill in your truck and you'll be good to go.

Easy install, mine was difficult for the KT tho as I was the first to get it and there were no instructions lol.

Like I said I have these on my JK, and I have BASHED the ever living fuck out of them. They are still perfect. On harder trails I take the steps off and throw them in the trunk so I don't get caught up on tight trails and such. I'll post a pic once I find some for you.
Awesome thanks for the reply.. how is the finish on them? Better to get their finish or get bare and finish myself?

while they are pricier than I hoped they are the only ones I have actually liked the look of. I’m hoping there will be a good Black Friday deal to get them a little cheaper.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome thanks for the reply.. how is the finish on them? Better to get their finish or get bare and finish myself?

while they are pricier than I hoped they are the only ones I have actually liked the look of. I’m hoping there will be a good Black Friday deal to get them a little cheaper.
Finish is great. But if you think you can get it done cheaper then go for it. It is just standard powdercoating afterall. You could even do bedliner on it for that added grip in wet weather.

Sponsored

gotswap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Finish is great. But if you think you can get it done cheaper then go for it. It is just standard powdercoating afterall. You could even do bedliner on it for that added grip in wet weather.
How many holes or body modifications were needed for it?

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many holes or body modifications were needed for it?
IIRC, I think 2 if you dont have the pinch seam holes drilled out already. I did for the MC fenders.

DavoSmith

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4 Runner
Occupation
Plumber
Does anyone have any real world, hard use (full weight of the JT dropping down on them) experience with these?
I was going to go with the Motobilt weld on rocker guards but they won’t work with Metalcloaks new rear long arm kit.

RockJeep98

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Support Manager
Does anyone have any real world, hard use (full weight of the JT dropping down on them) experience with these?
I was going to go with the Motobilt weld on rocker guards but they won’t work with Metalcloaks new rear long arm kit.
If it is body mounted and you are dropping down hard on any rocker I wouldn’t trust them to hold up. The rocker itself will probably hold but the body will not. If you drive the front tire up and over a rock and then come down off of it and drop onto a rock on the rocker it will buckle the actual body and door jamb. Not always but quite often. I have also seen where they push up in the center into the middle of both doors as well. The rocker maybe very strong but the body is not. Again this is the weakness of the factory body and not their part.
Sponsored