Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
Mine takes 2 pulleys. One above the top and one on the wall or ceiling above the winch To make the turn.
Sponsored

Cajundoc

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Physician
Thanks to everyone who shared info on these DIY j barr type hoists. Mine is almost done. Pics coming soon. I chose to use square tube aluminum wrapped in pipe insulation instead of 2 x 4. Opted for hand winch worm gear type. Making grommets through the webbing was very difficult for me. Otherwise went smoothly.

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks to everyone who shared info on these DIY j barr type hoists. Mine is almost done. Pics coming soon. I chose to use square tube aluminum wrapped in pipe insulation instead of 2 x 4. Opted for hand winch worm gear type. Making grommets through the webbing was very difficult for me. Otherwise went smoothly.
The grommets are a pain in the ass!

Cajundoc

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Physician
I opted for the worm gear hand winch thinking I would drive it with my drill... like the j Barr. If anyone has an ideas how to make that happen please
Speak up. I can turn the gear clockwise with the nut that comes on it. But counter clockwise unscrews the nut instead of turning the winch šŸ¤”

Sponsored

Cajundoc

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Physician
Think Iā€™m gonna put 2 hex nuts on with red locktite that will turn the crank into a hex drive

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Finally got mine installed today. It works but not real happy with it fir a couple reasons

1. Strap length are a bitch to figure out. Too long and I have clearance issues, too short and I canā€™t get the webbing attached. Plus youā€™ve got to find the right length on both front and back in order to make it balance and lift off and hang evenly. Iā€™m burning thru webbing and grommets like crazy trying to find the sweet spot.

2. The HF hoist is all on or all off. Thereā€™s no slow so itā€™s either jerking the top up of letting it slam down. Not happy with it at all.

this is going to be an ongoing project. Some sort of adjustable webbing that can also take a grommet would be a huge help.

BE186218-0E93-42A1-890A-37637B82F9CE.jpeg

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
@DaleG- how much distance is there from the bottom of the 2x4 to the top when you are lifting off ? I am trying to minimize mine because of clearance issues in the garage. I donā€™t think itā€™s possible to have it touching but I have almost 12ā€ now

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
@DaleG- how much distance is there from the bottom of the 2x4 to the top when you are lifting off ? I am trying to minimize mine because of clearance issues in the garage. I donā€™t think itā€™s possible to have it touching but I have almost 12ā€ now
Iā€™m about 6ā€ but it could be a little tighter

A006C10F-9221-47A9-BF15-3FC100AAE452.jpeg

Shoebox

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Finally got mine installed today. It works but not real happy with it fir a couple reasons

1. Strap length are a bitch to figure out. Too long and I have clearance issues, too short and I canā€™t get the webbing attached. Plus youā€™ve got to find the right length on both front and back in order to make it balance and lift off and hang evenly. Iā€™m burning thru webbing and grommets like crazy trying to find the sweet spot.

2. The HF hoist is all on or all off. Thereā€™s no slow so itā€™s either jerking the top up of letting it slam down. Not happy with it at all.

this is going to be an ongoing project. Some sort of adjustable webbing that can also take a grommet would be a huge help.

BE186218-0E93-42A1-890A-37637B82F9CE.jpeg
Love reading all these ideas!

You could put a grommet on one end to attach to the top, leave the other end long and tie it off at the board until you get the right length. Or instead of a lag bolt and wingnut, use an eye bolt and carabiner on that end. Easy to adjust length then. Especially if you start with a strap that has a cam lock adjustment.

Sponsored

MJRSC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Mojave
Occupation
Lawyer
Old post Iā€™m going to reviveā€¦

wonder can I use cam lock straps instead of making my own and using the pinsā€¦?

Y-Guy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
@DaleG - wanted to say thanks for sharing your hoist setup (not sure you visit much now) But I used your part list to help make some changes to my setup, using my Racor Hoist, but adopting your strap setup. I added a ratchet strap until I feel confident it's not needed. Compared to my JKU hard top this is so much lighter and easier.

Jeep Gladiator My door and top storage DIY solutions.... cart and hoist. IMG_3258
Jeep Gladiator My door and top storage DIY solutions.... cart and hoist. IMG_3260
Jeep Gladiator My door and top storage DIY solutions.... cart and hoist. IMG_3261