Sponsored

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
I get the rigging deal! I park forward, but have to back in to pull the top.....it’s the only way I could clear the garage door opener. It actually worked out measurement wise as I can pull forward right under the top and leave it hanging. I probably spent 2 hours measuring the truck, moving it in forwards and backwards to make sure I was going to land everything where it needed to be to actually work and hang where I needed it to. It all worked out pretty nice, I use one hand on the remote and one on the hoist bar to guide it up or down without touching a damn thing until it sits the alignment pins in place.
Yea I have to back in - but because of shelves I have at the rear of garage I can't back in enough (by about 10 inches)
Sponsored

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
Yea I have to back in - but because of shelves I have at the rear of garage I can't back in enough (by about 10 inches)
I get it. I literally had to rearrange my garage and shelving to make this work....the only plus was the Safe didn’t have to be moved, it actually was in a perfect spot For my winch to be out of the way of everything else and protects the winch from my nosey folks.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Very observant. I did say it was very similar to a major brand. I Really liked their concept, but I like a few of my tweaks better.....and I like projects that work a bit better and cost less. J-Barr could have done what I did and I would have bought it from them. My hoist winch is way more user friendly, my strap connections are a bit (not much) faster and the whole thing was about 1/2 the price.
I like your strap and pin idea. Clever.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I might have to copy this too. Seems solid and not overly complicated. Is there any way you could show a picture of both sides of the pin and strap where the pin runs through?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
I might have to copy this too. Seems solid and not overly complicated. Is there any way you could show a picture of both sides of the pin and strap where the pin runs through?
5/16 clevis pin, 2)5/16 flat washers (one top,one bottom) and the hair pin.

3B91CBA1-4297-47D3-A280-2CA0BA0AD137.jpeg

95C0A0DB-3635-4D4B-87CE-9816230EA760.jpeg

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
5/16 clevis pin, 2)5/16 flat washers (one top,one bottom) and the hair pin.

3B91CBA1-4297-47D3-A280-2CA0BA0AD137.jpeg

95C0A0DB-3635-4D4B-87CE-9816230EA760.jpeg
At the ends of each strap I doubled it over and used a 1/2 inch metal grommet (harbor freight kit $10.00) to make sure the straps didn’t fray or unravel. One grommet on each end of the 4 straps.the straps are lag bolted to the cross bar.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
At the ends of each strap I doubled it over and used a 1/2 inch metal grommet (harbor freight kit $10.00) to make sure the straps didn’t fray or unravel. One grommet on each end of the 4 straps.the straps are lag bolted to the cross bar.
Hmmm, I have a grommet kit from when we had our above ground pool - the covers never came with enough holes/grommets so I always doubled up. Gave away the pool, kept the grommet kits.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you very much. So I see two straps per side which makes more sense. What is up with a 2x4 costing $6.00 though. I guess it’s been a year or so since I bought one but in my mind it should cost $3.50. Must be import/ COVID related. Let’s hope the prices come down

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Thank you very much. So I see two straps per side which makes more sense. What is up with a 2x4 costing $6.00 though. I guess it’s been a year or so since I bought one but in my mind it should cost $3.50. Must be import/ COVID related. Let’s hope the prices come down
Lumber prices are INSANE right now! I just finished an outdoor attached shed next to the garge (4x12’) and spent a damn fortune on lumber! Every SOB that was stuck at home during the shutdowns must have been doing projects around the house!

3342B4CD-772E-4B78-8E88-C58A893B1866.jpeg

Sponsored

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lumber prices are INSANE right now! I just finished an outdoor attached shed next to the garge (4x12’) and spent a damn fortune on lumber! Every SOB that was stuck at home during the shutdowns must have been doing projects around the house!

Jeep Gladiator My door and top storage DIY solutions.... cart and hoist. 3342B4CD-772E-4B78-8E88-C58A893B1866
Nicely done! I’ve been putting off building a 3 season room/ porch for a few years and I’ll most likely regret that. When price spikes happen they don’t tend to come back down to where they were pre-spike. Oh well I guess. Must be tough if you are a builder though.

STL Gladiator

First Name
Horace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow - traded, 2021 JT Rubicon

Jeep Gladiator My door and top storage DIY solutions.... cart and hoist. 3342B4CD-772E-4B78-8E88-C58A893B1866
yes 2x4 studs are just about $8 bucks here in St. Louis...almost three times what they were a few months back...normally the cost of lumber goes down in the winter. This is crazy!

BilletRUBI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I did some reverse engineering from photos and modified the connections for the top. I don’t have to worry about using the HT bolts and possibly misplacing them.

I chose 5/16 inch clevis pins and clips....EASY! Top comes straight up, 2 bungies keep it from swaying around, and the Gladiator fits under it in the garage.
expenses on hoist.

Winch $169.00
Nylon Strapping $14.00 Amazon
metal grommet kit 9.99 amazon
2 8’ 2x4’s ($12.00) HD
2 Heavy duty 2” pulleys $$20.00 Amazon
Misc hardware approx 15-20.00
$245.00 total
Nice hoist set up! I've been wanting to go this route for removing my hardtop and was thinking about reverse engineering the same thing. I really like the bungie cords to keep the top from twisting - something I was concerned about.

Could you provide part numbers or links to the parts you ordered from Amazon/Lowe's/HD?

Also, how long are your straps? Did you have to mess with lengths to get the top to hang level?

Thanks,

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Nice hoist set up! I've been wanting to go this route for removing my hardtop and was thinking about reverse engineering the same thing. I really like the bungie cords to keep the top from twisting - something I was concerned about.

Could you provide part numbers or links to the parts you ordered from Amazon/Lowe's/HD?

Also, how long are your straps? Did you have to mess with lengths to get the top to hang level?

Thanks,
I will work on the list....might take a day or 3