Sponsored

BilletRUBI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Great! Thanks! I’m going to be gathering up supplies and hope to get it done before this weather turns cold!

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
Main bar is 72”, front straps are 32.5” each and rear straps are 39” each. All strap measurements are center of metal grommet to center of metal grommet.

The main bar at 72” gives you a nice handhold on each end for guiding.
straps are mounted 3” from each end of the main bar.

DD24C267-4D8D-42DC-BEA4-ED6D5F942A32.jpeg

662FD064-4741-4444-9DF0-6FE46B2F61C2.jpeg

FB35F060-C51B-4C79-9B65-89920B9B0185.jpeg

BilletRUBI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Main bar is 72”, front straps are 32.5” each and rear straps are 39” each. All strap measurements are center of metal grommet to center of metal grommet.

The main bar at 72” gives you a nice handhold on each end for guiding.
straps are mounted 3” from each end of the main bar.
Appreciate it Dale! I'm ordering the parts from Amazon today.

I'm thinking about using the Harbor Freight 440 Lb Electric Hoist...

Jeep Gladiator My door and top storage DIY solutions.... cart and hoist. 1603385392804

I'm thinking that this should be fine as the top only weighs 75 lbs. Thoughts?

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Appreciate it Dale! I'm ordering the parts from Amazon today.

I'm thinking about using the Harbor Freight 440 Lb Electric Hoist...

Jeep Gladiator My door and top storage DIY solutions.... cart and hoist. 1603385392804

I'm thinking that this should be fine as the top only weighs 75 lbs. Thoughts?
I did’t use that one because of low clearance on my ceiling and needed to put the winch on the wall.....your choice needs to mounted to the ceiling and lift strait up. It will be more than sufficient if you have the clearance (Tall ceiling)

Sponsored

BilletRUBI

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I did’t use that one because of low clearance on my ceiling and needed to put the winch on the wall.....your choice needs to mounted to the ceiling and lift strait up. It will be more than sufficient if you have the clearance (Tall ceiling)
Makes sense. I do need the top to come as close to the ceiling as possible. I thought I could mount it high on the back wall of the garage and run directly to the pulley. I did watch a video of the 440 lb hoist and didn't like how jerky the operation was, so I will probably go the same route as you did.

txGlad

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
TX Semiconductors
DaleG, thank you very much for the detailed instructions and measurements. I used your design with a couple of mods for my application and had it working last week. I ended up using the HF 440lb hoist mentioned above and mounted it an a trolley using a section of Unistrut. This allows me to pull off the top and slide it back about 3 feet further into my garage. Again, thanks for the "heavy lifting" on this project.
Jeep Gladiator My door and top storage DIY solutions.... cart and hoist. IMG_2703.JPG

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
DaleG, thank you very much for the detailed instructions and measurements. I used your design with a couple of mods for my application and had it working last week. I ended up using the HF 440lb hoist mentioned above and mounted it an a trolley using a section of Unistrut. This allows me to pull off the top and slide it back about 3 feet further into my garage. Again, thanks for the "heavy lifting" on this project.
Jeep Gladiator My door and top storage DIY solutions.... cart and hoist. IMG_2703.JPG
Nicely done! I like the trolly idea!

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
By the way, where in N Texas? We moved from Rockwall to SW Florida (Fort myers area) back in April.

txGlad

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
TX Semiconductors
By the way, where in N Texas? We moved from Rockwall to SW Florida (Fort myers area) back in April.
We were practically neighbors. We live on the north side of Garland in the Firewheel area.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DaleG

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
We were practically neighbors. We live on the north side of Garland in the Firewheel area.
I was raised and grew up in South Garland and we raised our kids in Rowlett and Rockwall. At 59 I decided I was tired of N Texas winters and we came to SW Florida.

txGlad

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
TX Semiconductors
I was raised and grew up in South Garland and we raised our kids in Rowlett and Rockwall. At 59 I decided I was tired of N Texas winters and we came to SW Florida.
Very nice. We've raised our kids here and all went through GISD.

tfranks

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
The biggest rigging I did of mine was because my garage door opener was in the way of pulling straight up.

So I have a fixed distance (metal chain) handing straight down from celing holding the bar right above the roof. Then the hoist pulls it up at a 45 degree angle. So when the roof is pulled up it goes up and back toward the rear of garage in order to clear the garage door opener.
I have the same issue, I'd love to see a photo of your setup!

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
I have the same issue, I'd love to see a photo of your setup!
Here are some pics. Instead of hoisting up - I went to Lowe's and purchased some chain to hang direct down from above. I put a pully toward the rear of the garage. You could actually do the same thing with just a chain mounted to the ceiling and the hoist to the rear but I wanted to keep the hoist on ceiling of garage in case of need for future use. But you can see from the picture where I pulled half way up the J-bar moves toward the rear as the chain just pivots as I pull with hoist. Therefore it pulls back as much as it pulls up (giving me about 4-5 feet clearance of the garage door opener which you can see is directly beside the hoist.

Jeep Gladiator My door and top storage DIY solutions.... cart and hoist. 1
Jeep Gladiator My door and top storage DIY solutions.... cart and hoist. 2
Jeep Gladiator My door and top storage DIY solutions.... cart and hoist. 3
Sponsored