Sponsored

My experience after 9 months (2 CEL within 2 weeks)

Jonnyroams

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ecodiesel gladiator
Okay I am going to try and be as concise as possible here.

I bought my Eco diesel in January. I am a freelance photographer so I use it for a lot of off-roading and long distance travel, along with my 9-5 where I commute a few miles every day. I had no issues until mid July, where I was driving to southern Utah from SLC and the CEL came on along with the message "Emission system service required see dealer". I had to cancel that trip and limp 150 miles home with no power and a max speed of 50mph. The dealer said it wasn't able to regen so they forced a regen and sent me on my way.

The truck was fine for 2 weeks. I drove a mixture of short and long distance, then exactly 2 weeks since the first CEL, it came on again, this time I was already in the middle of the Utah desert miles from civilization. I limped home again and took it to the dealer the next day (August 16th). They did some diagnostics and said too much diesel was being pumped in, and isolated it to faulty fuel injectors so they needed to be replaced. 3 days later I was called back and given an ETA of September 19th for when the parts would come and it would be repaired, however as it was declared off the road they could come sooner, so I should call back in a week. I did just that and was told September 30th was now the ETA, as new fuel lines were needed. I said wasn't it just the injectors, and he told me well the fuel lines are a one time use so we need those too, they have the injectors but are just waiting on the fuel lines.

At this point I called FCA and filed a case as according my state it would be considered a lemon if with the dealer for 30 days or more for repairs, so I figured I should get that started as I am concerned with the reliability of this truck, as there might be other issues now too. This was all done on Monday the 6th. I was told a case manager would call me with in 2 days. I had no call from FCA so I called on Friday and left a voice message as she did not answer.

This morning I get a voicemail from my case manager saying she is reviewing the case, and if deemed appropriate for a new vehicle it would take 6-8 weeks. I've already been without this rig that is a crucial part of my monthly income for a month.. So I tried to call her back and it rings 5 times then goes to voicemail. I called FCA again and was told my case manager is flagged as "working" so they cant call her for me as they would get in trouble. All in all this entire process has been a joke. And to top it off, Mopar has all the fuel lines and tubes in stock and ready to ship (they were backordered last week), so I have no idea why the dealer is saying the 30th, and I have been trying to get hold of the case manger all morning to figure this out.

Just wanted to get this off my chest.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Sucks, but at least why are replacing your JT. The diesel JT is great when it is working properly, if you have a problem good luck. Are you going to get diesel on the replacement?

OP
OP

Jonnyroams

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ecodiesel gladiator
Sucks, but at least why are replacing your JT. The diesel JT is great when it is working properly, if you have a problem good luck. Are you going to get diesel on the replacement?
Mainly because I do a lot of overlanding in remote areas away from civilization, and I'm concerned that more damage might have been done to the truck that might rear its head down the line. Yes I would ideally stick with the diesel. From what I've found looking online there haven't been many cases with my issues so I'm hoping its just a rare thing. Other than this issue I love the Diesel, 25mpg on 35s with a 3.5" lift is nothing to sniff at. I'm just appalled with the FCA customer service, and the lack of transparency with what's really going on.

OP
OP

Jonnyroams

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ecodiesel gladiator
Update:

My case manager called me monday afternoon. She said contrary to what the dealer parts dpt said, that the liens would arrive Friday the 17th, and she has given a 23rd september deadline for this to be resolved. Thursday 16th I email her to see if we are still on track for friday delivery and she says yes.

Friday comes around and I hear nothing from the dealer or the case manager. I email her last morning and do not get a reply. Around 6pm I call the dealer and parts haven't received anything, and it shows they are still waiting on the lines, and their ETA now says "TBD".

Just to add this this, I had previously spoken with the GM at the dealer of doing a buyback at the dealer level and he said he would call me monday last week and I received no such call. So I try get hold of him again to see where we are at with that and he says again he's too busy he'll call me next monday..

Getting even more frustrated with this and will be getting a lemon law lawyer involved come monday. I will update next week.

Janelkallie

First Name
Janel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Rn
Update:

My case manager called me monday afternoon. She said contrary to what the dealer parts dpt said, that the liens would arrive Friday the 17th, and she has given a 23rd september deadline for this to be resolved. Thursday 16th I email her to see if we are still on track for friday delivery and she says yes.

Friday comes around and I hear nothing from the dealer or the case manager. I email her last morning and do not get a reply. Around 6pm I call the dealer and parts haven't received anything, and it shows they are still waiting on the lines, and their ETA now says "TBD".

Just to add this this, I had previously spoken with the GM at the dealer of doing a buyback at the dealer level and he said he would call me monday last week and I received no such call. So I try get hold of him again to see where we are at with that and he says again he's too busy he'll call me next monday..

Getting even more frustrated with this and will be getting a lemon law lawyer involved come monday. I will update next week.

Any updates?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jonnyroams

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ecodiesel gladiator
Any updates?
Yes!

apologies for the delay it’s been hectic.
So last Tuesday I got the truck back. They did extensive testing and found all 6 injectors to be faulty. “Fuel injection higher than expected”.

they tested the fuel and that came back good. So they replaced all6 injectors along with the fuel lines, and fuel filter. The new injectors were tested and performed as they should. I’ve put about 300 miles on in the last week and I haven’t had any issues I’ve been monitoring DPF levels and I’ve been fine I have noticed a huge improvement in my miles per gallon which I guess would make sense now considering I’m not having access diesel wasted.

I have a couple of weeks to fully test it out and make sure I’m happy with the repair before jeep closes out my case. Going to Colorado this coming week on a long trip to really push it I will report back after that.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
My fuel injector pump catastrophically failed. They told me December on parts as everything was backordered. I called Jeep cares. Got a case manager. She was on top of things from the get go. I had my diesel Gladiator out for a month and a half. So far since it's been back I've probably put 1200 miles on it. Hit 29 mpg the other day on a long trip.
Not to derail the thread. But what lift do you have and can you post pics of it. I have the Sport S Ecodiesel. Looking for lift kit options and opinions. Thanks

OP
OP

Jonnyroams

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ecodiesel gladiator
My fuel injector pump catastrophically failed. They told me December on parts as everything was backordered. I called Jeep cares. Got a case manager. She was on top of things from the get go. I had my diesel Gladiator out for a month and a half. So far since it's been back I've probably put 1200 miles on it. Hit 29 mpg the other day on a long trip.
Not to derail the thread. But what lift do you have and can you post pics of it. I have the Sport S Ecodiesel. Looking for lift kit options and opinions. Thanks

That’s great to hear! Yeah I can’t really hold anything against Jeep in regards to the wait time, it’s just the situation we are in these days.
Just got back from a 2k mile trip with no issues to I’m hopeful it’s all taken care of.
So I have a 3.5 inch lift (with a 1 inch front spacer for the Diesel engine and a 2.5” rear for the weight I have in the bed), I started with the Teraflex lift but had issues with their track bar causing an annoying knock. I’ve since switched to the 3.5” lift by rough country with their new 8 stage vertex res shocks, to see what I prefer. I have kept the Teraflex alpine IR control arms as they are incredibly good. I’ve included some photos. For reference my tires are 315/70/17 also I had to add 2.5” wheel spacers by Teraflex as I rubbed on my control arms at full lock, and my passenger rear rubbed on my muffler when flexing.

Jeep Gladiator My experience after 9 months (2 CEL within 2 weeks) 58F8B5EB-79FD-45F1-A980-55CD19BC6CA6

Jeep Gladiator My experience after 9 months (2 CEL within 2 weeks) AE72C113-6015-4A75-9F5F-A7BAF96919BB
Sponsored