First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
If you’re concerned about mpg then wait for the plug-in Hybrid. My Rubicon Diesel would only get 24 mpg stock and on 37s with a 2.5” lift I’m at about 21.5.
most of the v6 JTs get 14-15 on 37s that’s 50% better fuel mileage

100kmiles at 14.5 mpg x $3 = $20,0689
100k @ 21.5 mpg = $13,953

the diesel absolutely pays for itself on big tires and will likely retain more resale value over time
Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
The other big expense is the oil change price on a Jeep diesel, north of $300 every 10,000 miles. It did not seam like a 3/4 ton truck diesel motor and that is why I stayed with the 3.6 gas for my wife’s 2019 JL, 2020 JL and my 2021 JT. It is always fun to compare that you can get with the extras fuel/gas savings. I bough a 2014 Jeep Patriot that we use to call the go cart and flat tow. It cost me less then $100 per month to have the four years we had it so I consider that basically free.

I bought a lot of diesel rated Quaker state for $3.50/qt and there are generic oil filters finally for $28. Every 15k needs a fuel filter swap but a diy oil change costs me $64 with tax

Last edited:

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Might not be the most acceptable comment around here, but carbon emissions are a "thing". The Diesel might get better MPGs, but you're pumping out more greenhouse gases than gas gallon for gallon.
So even though I'm burning less fuel, filling up less, I'm still polluting more?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Might not be the most acceptable comment around here, but carbon emissions are a "thing". The Diesel might get better MPGs, but you're pumping out more greenhouse gases than gas gallon for gallon.
A diesel will emit less greenhouse emissions, because it's literally burning less fuel. The pollution issue with diesels is smog and soot, less than greenhouse gases. Gasoline engines emit more greenhouse gases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sierraclub.org/sierra/ask-mr-green/do-diesel-engines-produce-less-co2-regular-engines?amp
Sponsored