Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
EDIT: For Bestop! Sell me the straps and hooks--I just don't want the winch!
They will, and they’ll throw in the winch for free! :LOL:
Sponsored

Geo Jeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Sport S (Max Tow)
Occupation
Geologist
I love bestop products, but I won't be purchasing this--unless they come out with a version that doesn't rely on a winch. Why the extra hassle? a 3:1 hoist like the Harken Hoist will raise a heavier JK roof with just a small amount of downward pressure. If I am giving close to $500 to Bestop its going to be for their awesome Sunrider! That is on my Xmas wishlist!

For those that do buy, enjoy! It does look like an awesome gadget.

EDIT: For Bestop! Sell me the straps and hooks--I just don't want the winch!
That would be a good idea to offer that without a winch.

Gadgetech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Do you have any close up photos of the straps attached to the Gladiator hardtop? Can't say the idea of the straps riding against my painted hardtop is ideal, especially given the price. It appears it could be less of an issue for the Gladiator hardtop but it's hard to tell.

I see there's a 10% rebate available for EOY, nice incentive.

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Do you have any close up photos of the straps attached to the Gladiator hardtop? Can't say the idea of the straps riding against my painted hardtop is ideal, especially given the price. It appears it could be less of an issue for the Gladiator hardtop but it's hard to tell.

I see there's a 10% rebate available for EOY, nice incentive.
I hope to have more photos by mid-January.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
@Bestop : is there a connector at the hoist and/or at the switch that can be disconnected? I'm thinking I'd like to conceal the wiring between the two in the ceiling and wall. During construction of my new house, I'd install a conduit that the wire can be fed through.

Alternatively, what gauge/type of wire is used in the event I want to just run the wire and splice in when installing? I'm sure that will negate the warranty, but I'm not worried about it if done by my licensed electrician. I'd run one continuous wire from switch to motor.

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
@Bestop : is there a connector at the hoist and/or at the switch that can be disconnected? I'm thinking I'd like to conceal the wiring between the two in the ceiling and wall. During construction of my new house, I'd install a conduit that the wire can be fed through.

Alternatively, what gauge/type of wire is used in the event I want to just run the wire and splice in when installing? I'm sure that will negate the warranty, but I'm not worried about it if done by my licensed electrician. I'd run one continuous wire from switch to motor.
Hey @jurfie
I just checked and there is a screw cap at the wires going into the control box, so it looks like you could disassemble there if you were so inclined to run the wires through conduit and reconnect.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @jurfie
I just checked and there is a screw cap at the wires going into the control box, so it looks like you could disassemble there if you were so inclined to run the wires through conduit and reconnect.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Sweet! Thanks for the reply, Lee; I’ll be ordering one when I get closer to the electrical rough-in stage.

Sponsored

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
I wonder if I could use this for my rooftop tent.

OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
I wonder if I could use this for my rooftop tent.
I certainly don't see why not. As long as you rigged up a simple way to attach, the weight of the RTT should be within the operating limits of the hoist. Similar types of hoists are used for all kinds of things!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Yeah, I don't know too many garages that are that high. Mine isn't. I doubt you really need that much clearance though.
Yeah, I think if they moved the winch to the wall it would maybe work for your average 8' ceiling.
Sponsored