First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
You are at the limits with just the trailer, add in people and cargo and you are over. NO
No, far from it. I have no idea where you are getting your numbers.
Sponsored

gotswap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
No, far from it. I have no idea where you are getting your numbers.
Curb weight for JT Rubi auto ~5072lb
Weight of trailer loaded 6995

This alone puts you at 12067lb

Rubicon - Automatic Transmission 12,450 lbs is the gross allowed vehicle weight

Add a few people and anything in the bed, you are over the limit. As I said, no go

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
You appeared to be replying to me, since you didn't quote anyone else. My trailer is half the weight. If you want to reply to a post that is different from the last one, it helps to quote the one you're replying to.

The OP's trailer has a GVWR of 7k, that doesn't mean it will weigh that much when loaded. Empty weight is closer to 5k and with 1k of gear that's 6k. I think it would be annoying to tow, but not outside the stated limits.

gotswap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I hooked up my 28ft box trailer with just some ATV's in it and was damn near dragging the bumper, can't imagine trying to tow it down the road. I estimate somewhere around 5k total weight. This may have a hitch with a tow rating but I am sure we will start seeing smoked transmissions as it is not really ideal for towing.

My 2 cents

Reactions: KVJ

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
A WD hitch would fix the suspension sagging issue. This has nothing to do with transmissions and powertrain. Towing 5k with the Gladiator is no problem--with the right hitch.

Sponsored

gotswap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
May just be me but I see WD hitches as a band aid for overloading.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
It is definitely just you. Suspensions vary greatly, and WD is advised in a lot of cases. I'm not overloading my Gladiator with my 3500 pound trailer, but it needs WD because it has soft suspension. It's meant to be compliant off road, and ride soft on the road. That means soft suspension.

WD serves a lot of safety functions and probably most trailers should use it. Primarily, it puts trailer weight on the FRONT tires, to maintain braking and steering ability. Even a non-sagged truck has reduced front tire weight with a trailer and without WD. It's not a bandaid, it's a safety feature.

I've been towing since the 70s, stuff from garden trailers to 16k boats (40' total on trailer), and have read tons of how-to-tow stuff over the years. I do it as safely as possible.

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
It's a 2018 Keystone Passport 170RK or 170RKRV (same thing). It's also sold under the R-Pod name, identical except for an upgraded fridge and stove, but much more expensive. It's 3k dry, around 3500 calculated full weight, possibly a little more with a heavy load. There's a queen bed up front and the dining converts to a smaller bed. Wet head and decent sized kitchen.

The weight distribution is absolutely necessary for a Wrangler, and really, on the JT you should have it too. The Gladiator pulls it SO SO well. Just awesome. My first trip with the JT and this trailer was from Phoenix to a shooting area North of Barstow CA. Lots of mountains, lots of road time. The pull was fantastic, and the adaptive cruise did such a perfect job it was so relaxing to drive for hours.

Jeep Gladiator New To Towing...Looking For Insight tow
I just came accross this. I have a ROV 173RBRV. Haven't towed it with my Gladiator yet. Waiting for spring. I picked up a Max Tow last month. Coming from a 2010 Tacoma. I'm pretty happy to see your report towing it. Do you need tow mirrors or are the stock mirrors ok?

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
I tow with the stock mirrors without difficulty.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Do you need tow mirrors or are the stock mirrors ok?
I hate towing without the tow mirrors, but have done it. You can buy some inexpensive add-on mirrors and there's a guy selling an adapter here on the forum. None of them seem to work without the adapters.

Without the mirrors you can *just* see down the side of the trailer, but not well.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I just came accross this. I have a ROV 173RBRV. Haven't towed it with my Gladiator yet. Waiting for spring. I picked up a Max Tow last month. Coming from a 2010 Tacoma. I'm pretty happy to see your report towing it. Do you need tow mirrors or are the stock mirrors ok?
mirrors are critical especially on something like the JT with the terrible mirrors it has.

I will say a camera system is worth the investment. My mirrors are used more as a backup, but my 3 camera system I put in from Haloview has been amazing for driving. I have a 28ft one though so size might play into the value you get out of it.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
JT with the terrible mirrors it has.
Wait what? Nobody told me my JT has terrible mirrors. Good to know. I'll try to remember to hate them next time I drive it.

I do keep thinking about putting a camera on the back of the trailer, but not spending a few hundred for it. Maybe for something larger I would. For a small trailer it would just be nice to have. I've looked into the possibility of adding it into the JT's head unit as if it were a Ram cargo camera, but can't figure out if that's possible when you also have the trailcam.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Wait what? Nobody told me my JT has terrible mirrors. Good to know. I'll try to remember to hate them next time I drive it.

I do keep thinking about putting a camera on the back of the trailer, but not spending a few hundred for it. Maybe for something larger I would. For a small trailer it would just be nice to have. I've looked into the possibility of adding it into the JT's head unit as if it were a Ram cargo camera, but can't figure out if that's possible when you also have the trailcam.
Never liked the mirror shape on Wrangler's honestly, and when they made it into a truck with the towing capacity it has I kind of expected they would go something at least more truck like. Nothing crazy like bigger trucks, but something. I get they wanted to keep the look but would have much rather had something that works. Also just my hatred because they connect to the doors. Honestly while I have joined in on some other "issues" people call out on the JT this is the one I really feel like they got lazy with and just made it the same as the JL.

It would be interesting to check that out. Z-Automotive should be able to tell you. I am pretty sure the cargo cam actually counts as a different input. That would also be a lot more stable than a wireless setup. I have been considering putting in a splitter when I put my camera in just to have it open for other purposes similar to that. Could be a nice to have even for my flat trailer with a cheap amazon camera.
Sponsored