First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S - tow pack
Occupation
Investment Sales
On Friday July 31st 2020 I bought my 15th new jeep – this one was a 2020 Gladiator Sport with the heavy haul package – I bought it this way – because basically it’s a Rubicon – without lockers and the transfer case I prefer – having owned 3-rubicon’s of various ranges (TJ’s and JK’s) and plenty of sports – I knew that would work well for my needs. I did not bother to test drive the JT before doing the paperwork and the first time I opened the driver’s door was to slide my ass into it and head away from the dealership. I was coming out of a 2019 Tacoma which I despise and shared as much in my post on the Gladiator Vs. Tacoma thread.

I was inspired to write this thread mostly b/c of my personal challenges to find a way to not build another “me-too” build; my disgust or motivation to write came at spending at-least an hour this morning looking for wheels – having built about everything under the sun – I find myself flummoxed to build something truly unique and different.

My wheeling tastes have dramatically evolved over the years; I remember when 33’s on a TJ was cool and 35’s were, "bad ass big tires." NOW, 37’s is the standard and 40’s if you want to be a ‘cool-kid.’ I’ve ran about everything from 42” to 30” inch tires. So not chasing that dragon anymore.

My tastes that haven’t changed - although based on the market seem radical today – such as (-) Negative Offset Wheel – "the more backspace the better" – positive offset aftermarket wheels have me wondering why not keep the OEM equipment and run a spacer.

My tastes ask – ‘have black wheels’ not run their course?

So, my plan for the JT is to create a throwback – harkening the era of steel, shine, and smiling light covers – we’ll see what I come up with!

In the meantime – thought I’d share some of my builds across the years – and ask for some insight from some of the old school jeepers who now find their ass planted in a JT seat, but know and love the leaf spring hop that only a five and seven can give!

Cheers to Jeep for giving us the JT and here’s to big tires, small wheels, and negative off-sets!

16 rub.jpg

42 tj.jpg

80 2012.jpg

80 CJ.jpg

1998 tj 42.jpg

2004 Rub.jpg

2007 37.jpg

2011.jpg

IMG_20190706_070459983 (2).jpg

lra.jpg

ram 40s.jpg

Red Ram 2012 38s 1.jpg

White YJ.jpg
Sponsored

Reactions: JAY
OP
OP
greenMarine

greenMarine

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S - tow pack
Occupation
Investment Sales
I suppose I need to share my Gladiator.

Gladiator 1.jpg

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
My tastes that haven’t changed - although based on the market seem radical today – such as (-) Negative Offset Wheel – "the more backspace the better" – positive offset aftermarket wheels have me wondering why not keep the OEM equipment and run a spacer.
I'm with you there. IMO the best fitment is when the sidewall is perfectly even with the fender flair. Also, the OEM wheels are some of the lightest wheels out there for a reasonable price. Anything similar in weight I just haven't been able to stomach the cost.

My tastes ask – ‘have black wheels’ not run their course?
Also agreed. 99% of the time, there is another color that would look better. All black wheels look the same from a little bit away.
Sponsored