Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor
Jeep Gladiator OBDII Modules 052858FD-D523-4D5D-AE7C-BD5EC173F959
Jeep Gladiator OBDII Modules CE74E131-FB5B-453E-844F-6F611F888955
So I want to see if anyone had any experience with these 2 different OBDII modules. I plan on getting the SGW cables and using the JSCAN app but can’t decide which module to get. Between the 2 there is a big difference in price. I heard you can access more menus or better adjustability with the MX+

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_32E0G3SSX4DXV37B27DH

Or this one -
OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth for iPhone, Android [2021Version] BLE OBD2 Adapter OBDii Diagnostic Code Reader Scan Tool , for Check Engine Light All Systems https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08V8VZK3...t_i_HKAY0P738EJPND3PCFBP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored

zxd9

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Granite Crystal
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 and it works with JScan.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
I don't have either of them, but from what I've read here and on both the JScan and AlphaOBD websites, it looks like the OBDLink MX+ is the only adapter currently available that is fast enough to do EVERYTHING on a Jeep JL/JT. The slower ones will probably do anything the average user wants though.

And no, I have not figured out what those extra features with the faster OBDLink MX+ actually are.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Besides being faster, and recommended by JScan to access all of its functions, the OBDLink MX+ comes with a license for the OBDLink app. You should check out the app: while it doesn’t offer the ability to reprogram, what you can look at is miles ahead of most other OBD-II apps.
As mentioned, a less costly adapter will work for most of the average functions.
And should you find the need for the MX+, another member has offered one up to borrow. See the 392 steering wheel thread for details.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ring-wheel-retrofit.53314/page-19#post-909382

Kevin

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
MX2 is supposed to do more but not sure how much more. I got the Vgate for mine and it's done everything I need it to do. Changed tire size, programmed for LEDs, programmed my DRLs for inside lights and they burn amber during the day, turned my seat belt chime off so it want keep chime that my seat belt is unbuckled. If I knew exactly what more MX2 does I may would consider it.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadowpapa has explained the differences before. Hopefully he'll comment here.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I had a bunch of free amazon credits through our amazon prime credit card, so I splurged and got the OBDlink MX+. Kills me that it's twice the price it was last year, but I've watching it for months and the price hasn't budged. No immediate need for it on the Gladiator, since I already have a Tazer, so I had planned on waiting. But the wife made a comment about driving the JK at night and her options being driving lights OR hi-beams, but not both. Pretty sure I can use the MX+ and AlphaOBD to fix that.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The MX+ is top of the line. It's fast enough to do some things others can't do.

This is from AlfaOBD's talk on adapters -
OBDLink MX+/LX/EX/SX/CX and STN11xx - STN21xx based devices. The OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth or OBDLink EX USB are the recommended interfaces for the cars with high-speed CAN bus on pins 6 and 14 and the middle-speed CAN bus on the pins 3 and 11 of the car OBD socket. These are most of the PowerNet and CUSW-based Chrysler/Dodge/Ram(with the exception of RAM Pro Master before 2022 and RAM Pro Master City)/Jeep vehicles starting from about 2012, and Fiat Tipo/Egea. No additional adapters are needed on these cars when using OBDLink EX or MX+. As the OBDLink interfaces have high communication speed they are especially recommended for the Body computer configuration adjustment and odometer correction on Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep vehicles.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I had a bunch of free amazon credits through our amazon prime credit card, so I splurged and got the OBDlink MX+. Kills me that it's twice the price it was last year, but I've watching it for months and the price hasn't budged. No immediate need for it on the Gladiator, since I already have a Tazer, so I had planned on waiting. But the wife made a comment about driving the JK at night and her options being driving lights OR hi-beams, but not both. Pretty sure I can use the MX+ and AlphaOBD to fix that.
My Vgate regular one does it, that's how mines set. MX+ does do more though, I've thought about getting that one but haven't had the need for it yet.

Sponsored

domingjm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S, Diesel
Can anyone say what programming features the Tazer Mini will do that the OBDLink MX+ will not? Thanks.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can anyone say what programming features the Tazer Mini will do that the OBDLink MX+ will not? Thanks.
Programming features? None.

But if you look at all the "live" features of the Tazer, NONE of them can be done with the MX+ or any other programmer.

Jeep Gladiator OBDII Modules 1655215253947

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yup - already handled in the post above.
No programming that software can't do, but does certain live features IF you need those live features.
If you don't, then I prefer software.
I don't need anything tazer can do, so I do all of my settings and "programming" via software. And technically, it's not programming - it's choosing options already built into the software running in the various modules of the truck.
So technically speaking, nothing does programming. You make selections and choose settings, or turn things on or off.

````````
There is only one single thing I'd ever use in a tazer - fast idle for when I use my winch. That's it. Otherwise there's nothing I have seen I'd use tazer for.
I bet some clever person could find a way to deal with that one single thing. I can't see spending hundreds of dollars just to make it idle fast for winch use.

domingjm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S, Diesel
Yup - already handled in the post above.
No programming that software can't do, but does certain live features IF you need those live features.
If you don't, then I prefer software.
I don't need anything tazer can do, so I do all of my settings and "programming" via software. And technically, it's not programming - it's choosing options already built into the software running in the various modules of the truck.
So technically speaking, nothing does programming. You make selections and choose settings, or turn things on or off.

````````
There is only one single thing I'd ever use in a tazer - fast idle for when I use my winch. That's it. Otherwise there's nothing I have seen I'd use tazer for.
I bet some clever person could find a way to deal with that one single thing. I can't see spending hundreds of dollars just to make it idle fast for winch use.
Thanks for those clarifications. I was reading that the Tazer restores the system to stock when removed and the MX+ does not. Do you have concerns about potential warranty issues with? As in, if service sees a footprint of modifications being made.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for those clarifications. I was reading that the Tazer restores the system to stock when removed and the MX+ does not. Do you have concerns about potential warranty issues with? As in, if service sees a footprint of modifications being made.
There's nothing you can change in the software that is going to be any problem at all - no one cares if you change the tire size or install LED lighting and change it to recognize that, that sort of thing. No need to undo or remove or restore anything.
Mine has been in for service - wave oil changes, warranty work, and more, and there's no problem at all.
The only thing that may happen is if there's some update or flash that mine needs, it might undo some of the things I have done (like making auto-high beam headlights functional) but then I just put those settings back. Mine was built November 2019, one month before that auto-high beam option came out on these. So they can't add it to my VIN like they did the passive entry I added.
I can't think of anything I'd change that would be a warranty issue. Software changes things that are choices in the settings already. If you totally mess something up - say you go in and make changes to the lighting settings when changing bulbs or bulb types and your lights stop working correctly - they may charge to put things back and make it work again, but that's the worst thing I can think of.
If you change tire size settings or anything else to make the odometer inaccurate, that may be an issue - but as long as it's accurate and correct, it won't be. You could make your odometer read too low - so you could drive 10 miles but it would register 8, for example, - that can be a problem.
Sponsored