Sponsored

Off Roading / 4-Wheeling - Basic Info, Tips & Tricks

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Keep a good snake bite kit with you if heading to the river by my place.
I learned all about using a snake bite kit when I was in the Boy Scouts back in the '70s. Here in the 21st century, the consensus is snake bite kits are either useless or could do more harm than good. They don't contain the one thing you actually need which is antivenum. Only a good hosptial ER will have antivenum. So, the current consensus is to get the victim to a good hospital ER as soon as possible. Any other "remedies" are a wasted effort and, again, could actually do more harm than good.

That's how I undertand it anyway. This organization appears very credible and agrees:

https://www.snakebitefoundation.org...ommercial-snakebite-kits-and-venom-extractors
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I learned all about using a snake bite kit when I was in the Boy Scouts back in the '70s. Here in the 21st century, the consensus is snake bite kits are either useless or could do more harm than good. They don't contain the one thing you actually need which is antivenum. Only a good hosptial ER will have antivenum. So, the current consensus is to get the victim to a good hospital ER as soon as possible. Any other "remedies" are a wasted effort and, again, could actually do more harm than good.

That's how I undertand it anyway. This organization appears very credible and agrees:

https://www.snakebitefoundation.org...ommercial-snakebite-kits-and-venom-extractors
Ah, took literally - was mainly pointing out that we've got snakes and some of them rattle, some don't warn.
(we are also 30 minutes from a hospital depending on traffic since you took the comment as textual rather than the warning behind it)

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I don't see a forum for this topic so I thought I'd start one here as I've noticed a number of people bring this subject up. And I know a lot of Gladiator owners are first-time Jeep owners and many have never driven (or even been) off road.

There's a LOT of good info on the subject on the internet and we can share that and some relevant info here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A GUIDE TO OFF-ROADING FOR THE UNINITIATED
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...o-know-to-go-off-road-but-were-afraid-to-ask/
Oh nice I am a complete newbie to offroading and just got my JT

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
They could make this a sticky at the top of the pages always there

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Ah, took literally - was mainly pointing out that we've got snakes and some of them rattle, some don't warn.
(we are also 30 minutes from a hospital depending on traffic since you took the comment as textual rather than the warning behind it)
Sorry, myths are a hobby of mine and I felt compelled to comment.
Sponsored