Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
So I activated my 6 month free trial of OnX Off Road. I already have the hunting app but wanted to keep my hunting and off road/camping info separated. Anyway. Apple Car Play has some huge potential. Just not sure why its so lame.

Does anybody know if there is a way to force the map to remain North UP? I absolutely despise the map rotating as my direction faces....thats like noob navigation level 10... Not really, to each their own which is totally fine, I just dont like it. I have found that if I go to my factory navigation and re-enable north up (which it changes randomly on its own) and then go back to OnX it will be north up. For a period of time until it freezes and I have to close and re-open the app.

Also, to make sure I'm not missing something, does anyone know if there is a way to manipulate the app via Car Play? As in adding points, tracks, etc... or is it simply view only?

For reference, Gaia (which I do not subscribe to, only the free version) does seem to keep north UP all the time without fail.... And doesn't crash.

Note - some of this may be due to my attempting to use the app via usbc --> USB --> to center console USB connection
Sponsored

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I am currently trying onX Offroad because GAIA is so unstable on an Anfroid device. GAIA btw can doe either north up of track up, your choice.

I am just now trialing onX and it is much more stable than GAIA, but still learning the ins and outs.

Here is a post that I put out on a motorcycle form that I am a member of asking some of the same questions.

Lets talk "Overlanding Navigation"...
Some time ago I ditched Garmin and moved to:
  • GAIA GPS
  • Various different software applications to create tracks (pick the one you like)
  • An Android 10" tablet to navigate overlanding routes (I only use tracks). I download the maps and tracks for the specific trip so I can use them offline.
We just did a 7 day trip to run the SM500 and the GAIA android app became completely unstable. If you touched the screen it would crash. Often times you would have to reboot the tablet to get it to restart GAIA. I assumed it was a tablet issue until I searched for a solution online, wow what a shitstorm they are having with their mobile apps.
So we came off the trail, found a decent wifi connection, downloaded the trial of onX offroad uploaded the SM500 track and then downloaded them to onX for offline use.
onX worked flawlessly, it certainly is not a full featured as gaia, but as least it didn't continually crash and allowed us to complete the 500 with no further drama.
Additionally GAIA's HMI is confusing at best (and I was a competent basecamp user).
So what are you guys using for off road navigation?
I have though about using a ZUMO XT as a backup, but I really love the larger tablet where I can expand the map and see alternate side trails.
I am working with GAIA GPS support but their hands seem to be tied with respect to the mobile apps stability.
onX Offroad is very stable and will get you down the trail, so to speak. I am a tread lightly member so a 1 yr subscription is $5. I am going to try it for a while until GAIA fixes their apps or implodes.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
When OnX didn't have CarPlay/Android Auto support, I fired up a Gaia subscription to have on the big screen, with OnX on an XR/Max Pro. Gaia is outdated grossness. Feature-itis embodied. OnX is getting there, much easier to do sane tasks, looks better, too.

As for the map North, if you triple tap the "locate" button, it will orient North to the top. It doesn't stay that way when you're moving, but it's easy enough to get back.

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Gaia is outdated grossness. Feature-itis embodied.
Its HMI is way outdated. It is unstable and not all settings stick. Map layers will, for example, turn off and move position.

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Does ONX have turn by turn navigation? I have not been able to find this feature using offline maps.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Does ONX have turn by turn navigation? I have not been able to find this feature using offline maps.
no it does not. well at least not in car play. Car play only shows the map. You have no functioning power at all. I assume other apps function the same way - its basically just a display. Kinda a let down to be honest.

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
no it does not. well at least not in car play. Car play only shows the map. You have no functioning power at all. I assume other apps function the same way - its basically just a display. Kinda a let down to be honest.
You are correct it is a let down. I just watched a youtube for gaia and it looks like it will have navigation through car play. I will be testing it out this weekend. But at least I know it is on my phone....
Sponsored