Oracle DRL bulb caution.

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
I just installed the bi-oculus lights. They are awesome. I installed oracle fog lights. They are awesome. I also installed new turn signal bulbs and DRL bulbs. The DRL bulbs are awesome when the lights are on. Unfortunately, when the headlights are off, the DRL's are off too unless parking lights selected. There is a thread on this in lighting from last year that I wish I would have read earlier to avoid 30 minutes of trouble-shooting today. Oracle knows this is a problem, but they do not disclose it up front. This should be clear as day. Other than that the Oracle lights are as advertised.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the bi-oculus lights. They are awesome. I installed oracle fog lights. They are awesome. I also installed new turn signal bulbs and DRL bulbs. The DRL bulbs are awesome when the lights are on. Unfortunately, when the headlights are off, the DRL's are off too unless parking lights selected. There is a thread on this in lighting from last year that I wish I would have read earlier to avoid 30 minutes of trouble-shooting today. Oracle knows this is a problem, but they do not disclose it up front. This should be clear as day. Other than that the Oracle lights are as advertised.
kinda makes me wonder if its jeepā€™s fault honestly. Ive tried several LED replacements for my DRLs. The best so far are the sylvania plug and play leds. They stay lit when the head lights are off, but turn off when the head lights turn on. No matter how I change the settings this is just what they do. Which is better than some of the other oneā€™s ive tried.

Last edited:

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker

Thanks for sharing. Sucks you didn't get what you thought, agree this should be flashing in bold red letters when somebody orders it.

I'm of the weirdos that hate drl though, so this sounds like a feature to me. Hopefully it isn't fixed before I buy it.

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
The DRL bulbs will either work for park lights if plugged in one way, and for DRL if unplugged, rotated and plugged in the other way. All LED 7443 act this way on the Jeep JL/JT Fender DRL, not just ours. It has to do with the way the Jeep changes polarity between the two. When one is on the other is grounded.

This is communicated on our listing to ensure that customers understand prior to purchasing, found here.
I am sorry if this was missed or not communicated. If you would like to start a return you can do so here.

-Missy

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
The DRL bulbs will either work for park lights if plugged in one way, and for DRL if unplugged, rotated and plugged in the other way. All LED 7443 act this way on the Jeep JL/JT Fender DRL, not just ours. It has to do with the way the Jeep changes polarity between the two. When one is on the other is grounded.

This is communicated on our listing to ensure that customers understand prior to purchasing, found here.
I am sorry if this was missed or not communicated. If you would like to start a return you can do so here.

-Missy
my god I hope its just this simple :surprised:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
I still don't understand. You guys should just design a bulb that works the way the factory halogen one does. That being said, I'll probably keep the bulbs. If sounds like I'm going go have same problem with other brands.

Goheels0917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary Edition
Occupation
Systems Engineer

-Missy
Is there any fix for this since the last update?

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
Is there any fix for this since the last update?
There is no current update on this as the bulb will work with factory wiring as is. We are working on a complete parking/turn replacement in R&D now and will notify you of the release of this.

Thank you for your patience.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
My DRL's are switchback and are white when you turn the DRL's on, and are also lit at night when the headlights are on. I like this setup and it's the way I would imagine it should work. I've never seen a Jeep that has DRL's on automatically during the day.....maybe I've just not been paying attention.

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland

-Missy
So is this because Jeep put the DRL and parking light wire into the same fixture and depending on which wire has the 12 volts and light the light?

if so, then itā€™s the same principle as the halos for the fog lights. I just did this last week with the fog halos. You can probably wire them up a bunch of ways; itā€™s just a matter of what you want. I would imagine if you wanted you could hook those bulbs up to fuse F52 and they would always be on but you would have no parking lights.

Iā€™m just trying to understand how Jeep wires this stuff up. Iā€™m interested.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I still don't understand. You guys should just design a bulb that works the way the factory halogen one does. That being said, I'll probably keep the bulbs. If sounds like I'm going go have same problem with other brands.
Can't. LED is polarity sensitive, halogen is more like an ordinary bulb - polarity makes no difference.
Some LEDs don't work when polarity is reversed, some change color, etc. LED is a DIODE so doesn't work like ordinary halogen (which is on when it's on, off when it's off, polarity be damned)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So is this because Jeep put the DRL and parking light wire into the same fixture and depending on which wire has the 12 volts and light the light?

if so, then itā€™s the same principle as the halos for the fog lights. I just did this last week with the fog halos. You can probably wire them up a bunch of ways; itā€™s just a matter of what you want. I would imagine if you wanted you could hook those bulbs up to fuse F52 and they would always be on but you would have no parking lights.

Iā€™m just trying to understand how Jeep wires this stuff up. Iā€™m interested.
LED is an electronic device and yes, it's not like "you need hot and you need ground" - you can change things around and change how it behaves......... so you'll need to ignore the old-school type of schematics.

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland
LED is an electronic device and yes, it's not like "you need hot and you need ground" - you can change things around and change how it behaves......... so you'll need to ignore the old-school type of schematics.
still trying to wrap my head around that. So if its a polarity issue then with LEDs in this particular instance you will only have DRL or parking but not both?

OP
OP

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
still trying to wrap my head around that. So if its a polarity issue then with LEDs in this particular instance you will only have DRL or parking but not both?
That's how mine work. I chose parking lights. The Halo is my only DRL now. I like the look of my halo. Biggest complaint now if Halo doesn't come on during autostart until I get i and press ignition. Also don't come on when I unlock the doors. Minor, but I'd prefer Halos on in those situations.
Sponsored