Overland Expo East

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Just got my ticket to the East in VA! Who else is going? Will i have a gladiator by then? Who the hell knows?!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you ever been before? I want to take some classes. Do you have any recommendations?

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
Have you ever been before? I want to take some classes. Do you have any recommendations?
I went to Expo West this May. I don't know how similar they are, but my main pieces of advice would be:
  • If you plan to camp on-site, be prepared for crowds. The on-site campsite is packed and the bathroom situation isn't great (Porta Potties). Staying there is great for meeting people and getting a close look at other rigs, but I'd recommend finding somewhere else if you value privacy and quiet.
  • If you can, look at the map in advance and plan pretty thoroughly. There are so many vendors, classes, and distractions that you could wander around for all three days and still miss out. Plus the organization isn't great. For example, if you're wanting to shop for lights you'll have to walk a half a mile three times to compare Rigid to KC to Baja Designs...
  • Stop and talk. Even if someone is "famous," chances are they'll not just humor you, they'll be genuinely interested in your story. We spoke to several people (Brad from TrailRecon, Lifestyle Overland, VTW Explore, and more) for up to an hour.
  • Prepare for rig envy. No matter how great your rig is, Expo will make you drool and want to sell both your kidneys just to enjoy your last two weeks of life traveling in an EarthRoamer.
I'm sure there's more to share (try to go with a friend), but that's all I have for now. Definitely reach out if you want to meet up!

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome! Thank you! Yeah lets definitely meet up when we get there. I'll be going with my family and we are planning on camping on site. I might bring a shower tent and toilet based on what you told me. I think when they put out the vendor list or map, i'll start planning. I didn't realize it was so big and spaced out!

Sponsored

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
Awesome! Thank you! Yeah lets definitely meet up when we get there. I'll be going with my family and we are planning on camping on site. I might bring a shower tent and toilet based on what you told me. I think when they put out the vendor list or map, i'll start planning. I didn't realize it was so big and spaced out!
I'm not sure how the East will be, but that was my experience in Arizona!
Overall, it's totally worth it. Plus any excuse to camp with family is a good excuse.

OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it worth waiting till the expo to buy accessories big or small? Do vendors typically have show discounts? Im looking at campers, canopies or racks, lights, bumpers, winches, etc.

smoverland

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self-Employed
Is it worth waiting till the expo to buy accessories big or small? Do vendors typically have show discounts? Im looking at campers, canopies or racks, lights, bumpers, winches, etc.
There are definitely discounts. While I only bought lights at Expo West, the discounts were pretty substantial. I couldn't tell you what camper companies offer, but you can definitely find some deals!

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
We have been a total of three times. Enjoyed it each time.
The classes will vary depending on who/what will be taught. I may be giving a seminar on our recent Africa trips but we’ll see.
The driving classes can be hit and miss depending on your skill level. If you get your Glad by then (I hope mine comes in too) I might sign up for a ride or two but last year where it rained a lot it was a complete waste of money. The biggest thing is trying to fit in everything. Be sure to leave some downtime in your schedule.. you’ll thank me later.

The vendors do offer nice discounts plus they have the time to talk with you and answer your questions.

The “show” has been bought by a professional outdoor promotional company and from what I heard about Expo West things have improved over previous years.

The best thing is a chance to see all the different rigs and talk to like minded folks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slapping_Rabbits

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have been a total of three times. Enjoyed it each time.
The classes will vary depending on who/what will be taught. I may be giving a seminar on our recent Africa trips but we’ll see.
The driving classes can be hit and miss depending on your skill level. If you get your Glad by then (I hope mine comes in too) I might sign up for a ride or two but last year where it rained a lot it was a complete waste of money. The biggest thing is trying to fit in everything. Be sure to leave some downtime in your schedule.. you’ll thank me later.

The vendors do offer nice discounts plus they have the time to talk with you and answer your questions.

The “show” has been bought by a professional outdoor promotional company and from what I heard about Expo West things have improved over previous years.

The best thing is a chance to see all the different rigs and talk to like minded folks.
Wow that sounds awesome! If you decide to give a talk let us know and I'll stop by. I am hoping to take some driving and recovery courses. I think that would be the most useful. I might also pop in on the photography courses because you can always learn something new.
Sponsored