Sponsored

Overland Wheel/Tire upgrade combo suggestions

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Not heard much about that ATP version. I actually like to sidewall of the AT3 XLTs. Looks good though and good to get another visual of that exact size in comparison.

I’ve heard Cooper in general are much more quieter especially the XLTs than BFG K02s which I was also considering. Regardless I’ll probably recalibrate the odometer with a taser soon after.
The ATPs are a Discount Tire exclusive, basically the XLTs with a different cosmetic sidewall. The tread is almost identical. I did quite a bit of research before buying and the Cooper reviews almost all said how quiet they were for an AT, so I took the chance and I am not disappointed. Overall I'm very happy with the Coopers and I would buy again.

If you already have the tazer than might as well recalibrate. If not check out the JScan app instead, it will save you money and does almost all the same things as a tazer does except for the things you have to leave the tazer plugged in for.
Sponsored

TomH4X4

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Bro you and I need to talk more. lol. That's the set up/look I'm going for. I'm assuming your suspension is still stock correct? If so any rubbing issues? Do you plan on doing anything to the suspension if so?

I'm looking at the same set up but don't want to anything suspension wise other maybe a leveling kit. And even that would be more for aesthetics than function.
Yes, suspension is all stock and no rubbing issues. I'm gonna go with a leveling kit next - I prefer the look of a level truck and do not tow much.

jeeper109

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Overland, 2019 JLU SportS
Occupation
Retired
Picked up my Overland on 4/17. Doing heavy tire research now...my plan is to use existing rims (totally fine/very solid/like them - no need to change) and upgrade from AS to AT. It's not a daily driver - maybe 3,250 miles/year - so I'm considering Kumho Road Venture AT51 or Yokohama Geolander AT G015. I know the reviews and am processing all the relevant feedback.

jeeper109

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2022 JT Overland completely stock. Really like the wheels but not the street tires. Want to change tires to an A/T for a more a aggressive look. Considering the Yokohama Geolander ATG015 in 255/70R18 or 275/70R18. Tire measurements are not that much different and would not need a level kit. Any thoughts or suggestions ?
Thank you

jeeper109

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hi, All. I have a JT Overland with the stock Bridgestone all-season tires. I am looking at a couple of all-terrain options for a more aggressive look and better off-road capability. I do not want to change the tire size to avoid having to find someone who will recalibrate everything. Here are the two tires I have narrowed it down to:
BRIDGESTONE DUELER A/T RH-S
GOODYEAR WRANGLER ALL TERRAIN ADVENTURE WITH KEVLAR
I can get a set of 5 of either for about the same price. I am leaning toward the Goodyear. I live in Ohio. #ShopLocal (Goodyear is based in Akron, OH).
Thoughts? Recommendations/warnings?
Thank you.
Jeff, did you decide which A/T to buy. I am leaning to the Yokohama Geo15?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely love my General A/Tx tires. A bit wider than stock, roughly the same height. I've towed with them, it's my daily driver, and I've driven through winters, snow, snow pack, unplowed street and highways, ice, whatever mother nature dishes out to us. Great all-year tires.
I'd buy them again they are so good in winter and decent for driving across the country, even good on gravel roads.
Very highly rated tires.

jeeper109

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Absolutely love my General A/Tx tires. A bit wider than stock, roughly the same height. I've towed with them, it's my daily driver, and I've driven through winters, snow, snow pack, unplowed street and highways, ice, whatever mother nature dishes out to us. Great all-year tires.
I'd buy them again they are so good in winter and decent for driving across the country, even good on gravel roads.
Very highly rated tires.
Thanks for the feedback Bill. Are yours the General Grabber APT? Also, what size do you have?

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2022 JT Overland completely stock. Really like the wheels but not the street tires. Want to change tires to an A/T for a more a aggressive look. Considering the Yokohama Geolander ATG015 in 255/70R18 or 275/70R18. Tire measurements are not that much different and would not need a level kit. Any thoughts or suggestions ?
Thank you
I installed 275/70R18 Cooper ATPs on my stock Overland not long after I got it and I'm very happy as I reported earlier in this thread. It's been about a year and half since and about 12k miles and I'm still very happy with them. The only thing I've done different since I first posted is I've added the Rubicon springs and shocks. I didn't need to though as the 33"s cleared just fine on the stock suspension and I even wheeled with them on several trails.

jeeper109

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I installed 275/70R18 Cooper ATPs on my stock Overland not long after I got it and I'm very happy as I reported earlier in this thread. It's been about a year and half since and about 12k miles and I'm still very happy with them. The only thing I've done different since I first posted is I've added the Rubicon springs and shocks. I didn't need to though as the 33"s cleared just fine on the stock suspension and I even wheeled with them on several trails.
Thanks for the feedback, the coopers look good on you JT. Couple of questions: in going to the 275/70R18 did you suffer in performance degradation, it is only about 1" larger in diameter and about .8" wider. Also, the speed difference is only about 2 mph at 60 mph, did it shift differently or did you have to recalibrate?

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback, the coopers look good on you JT. Couple of questions: in going to the 275/70R18 did you suffer in performance degradation, it is only about 1" larger in diameter and about .8" wider. Also, the speed difference is only about 2 mph at 60 mph, did it shift differently or did you have to recalibrate?
I didn't notice any performance difference. I did recalibrate the speedo using my JScan app as it was off about 3mph at 70mph. It also wasn't shifting into 8th gear as often as before at highway speeds. The recalibration fixed both. I did notice a loss in fuel mileage though. I was averaging around 22mpg before with the stock Duelers and I'm now around 18mpg since even with the recalibration. Although I only was stock for about 1k miles/1 month before I replaced the tires so probably not the most realistic mileage either before.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback Bill. Are yours the General Grabber APT? Also, what size do you have?
I read a whole evening's worth of various reviews and tests.....

General Grabber A/TX 275/65R18 is what I'm running. May or may not go up just a tad in diameter next time, but am quite happy with these.
Didn't take hardly any weight to balance them and my neighbor told me he's running Generals on his classic Italian caddy and he's had the same experience - they didn't take hardly any weight to balance them.

jeeper109

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I read a whole evening's worth of various reviews and tests.....

General Grabber A/TX 275/65R18 is what I'm running. May or may not go up just a tad in diameter next time, but am quite happy with these.
Didn't take hardly any weight to balance them and my neighbor told me he's running Generals on his classic Italian caddy and he's had the same experience - they didn't take hardly any weight to balance them.

jeeper109

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2022 stock Overland with the street tires. I have two options that I am considering:
1. Rubicon takeoff tires and wheels with a Tereflex 1.5" level kit.

2. Go to a 265/70/18 with Falcon Wildpeak A/T3W.

Any experience or advice on these options?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have "Rubicon take-off" tires and wheels on my 2020 JT for a number of months - through the first winter and into the next spring and early summer.
I can't say I didn't like them.......... but....... I wasn't happy with how my truck did with driving in bad winter conditions that winter.
I personally, and this is a PERSONAL preference only, really like the stock Overland wheels a lot better than the stock Rubicon wheels.
So there were two reasons I changed.
I didn't care for the Rubicon wheel appearance so much,
Wasn't totally happy with the tires and if I changed wheels I needed different tires anyway.
Like I said - went to a lot of tire review sites, tire vendors like tirerack and others, 4x4 "magazines" and others and found the Generals very highly rated - and when I factored in each area tires were evaluated in, I found them to be a better match for me.
So I went back to my stock Overland wheels and got new tires.
My suspicions were confirmed one night when we were driving home after one of our winter events - ice, snow pack, blowing snow, hilly winding highway in more southern Iowa.
I got out of the worst of the packed icy snow and unplowed snow and hit better highway with a lot more bare spots (only had the PART TIME 4H at that time)
Beings there was so much bare pavement finally - I thought ok, 4H served us really well, truck did great in 4H so time to take it out into 2H for the cleaner pavement.
Found out I was in 2H the whole time. The tires were that good.
These were better winter tires.
They don't excel as much in rain as some of the others, but when I balanced out all of the areas tires are rated in - dry pavement, wet/rain, snow, ice and so on, it was a better fit for me.
It was sort of nice to also having compared the different tires on the same truck.
Everyone will have their favorite. And winters vary with where you live, and some here don't even worry about winter driving or ice.
Sponsored