P0300 again!

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Since I’ve bought my 22 Rubicon I’ve been dealing with the P0300 issue (see previous threads here

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-those-with-misfire-issues.24853/post-1009891

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/hi-ho-hi-ho-its-off-to-the-dealer-i-go.64608/)

It’s presented itself as an intermittent CEL that I’ve been tracking:

* 08/06/2022: 1:44 PM
* 08/08/2022: 8:40ish PM
* 08/10/2022 5:30 AM
* 08/11/2022 8:29 PM
* 8/13/2022 11:01 AM
* 10/13 1:32 PM
* 11/8 7:07 PM
* 3/23/23 12:45 PM
* 4/1/23 9:49 AM

The truck has had the all the Jeep updates applied to the ECU without luck. I’ve worked with Jeep Warranty and the dealership to get this issue fixed permanently w/o luck. In typical dealership fashion they can’t reproduce the issue even when I show them pictures of the CEL, so they return the truck to me asking me to try again later.

Today I’m headed back from a local store and the CEL comes on and I’m literally a mile from the dealer, so I drive in. They are finally able to pull the error code and take the truck in for repairs. I explain to the service advisor this is the 4th or 5th time I’ve tried to get the issue resolved - so he knows there is a backstory. I’m waiting to hear back from the dealer to see what the diagnosis will show.

I’ve done this song and dance with the dealer and Jeep several times over the last 6 months. I’m beyond frustrated due to the lack of ability for mechanics to perform diagnostics beyond plugging in a computer. Why doesn’t Jeep have the ECU store the error codes for several hundred miles in these situations? Why doesn’t the Jeep app report the error like it used to? It’s really frustrating to be that guy complaining about an issue that never presented itself to the dealer in the narrow window they had it!

Depending on the outcome I’m considering a lemon buy back, trading it in, or ? I’ve looked around the forum and most people’s trucks were diagnosed quickly and fixed. I’m one of the few where nothing done has been able to resolve the issue… Is there someone with a similar situation that had the P0300 issue resolved permanently?

IMG_2095.jpeg
Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
That happened with the first engine and the fix was to replace the cam shaft. It operated fine after that. The engine was replaced by my insurance company due to manufacture incompetence for my coolant consumption problem.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That happened with the first engine and the fix was to replace the cam shaft. It operated fine after that. The engine was replaced by my insurance company due to manufacture incompetence for my coolant consumption problem.
Did they replace both camshafts? Did you experience any loud ticking? How did you get your insurance to cover an engine replacement? So many questions!

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
There was no ticking. All was normal. My misfires were felt when I slammed the throttle to pass on the highway and the truck would violently shake.

At that time, I had 16k on the odometer and 3 oil analysis reports indicating coolant consumption. I was consuming 10-12 ounces every 10k km oil change. I brought in the truck and oil reports and dealership presented the reports up the chain to FCA engineer (Norm). FCA was only interested in fixing just the one camshaft that was damaged and it was written in the service order that the coolant leak didn’t damage the camshaft so nothing else was going to happen, just replace the camshaft and give it back to me.
Truck sat out in the lot with the top of the engine off and rags covering it for nearly 50 days. The air was thick with smoke from forest fires and rodents ran around under the hood. Service advisor told me “it’s normal for coolant to be in the oil”. 5 stars for incompetence.

My transmission tanked some time later at around 30k kms or so from glycol contamination and after about 8 months of fighting FCA and AMSOIL a different dealership wanted to have a look at WHY and HOW glycol got in the transmission. After checking it over, service manager deemed the presence of glycol in the transmission oil was a result of being “intentionally put in there” and put it in writing.

I then filed a vandalism claim with my insurance company and when the appraiser came to my place to take photos of the truck and take my oil analysis reports and other docs, I told him about the engine. He was throughly disgusted with Chrysler and put it in the claim.

Claim was approved and both components were replaced.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Terrible story…

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been resolved. It was the CCDIFF thing where it hadn't yet learned the relative cam/crank positions. They forced a relearn, reported the info back to STAR and shortly after, after others had done the same, a fix was sent out.
But mine was VERY very specific in when it would or would not do it, and it was always the same bank under specific conditions. Engine hot/warmed up, shut off for 20-40 minutes, then restarted and low load, low RPM, it would kick a P0300. I used jscan to log and track it, gathered freeze frames and so on. My logs and detailed descriptions of the events as they happened allowed them to pair my P0300 with other reports to STAR and led them to some papers on what to look for and what information to gather and send back to STAR.

My wife's 2021 Grand Cherokee had a weird P0300 pending, no CEL called for misfire that ended up being resolved with spark plugs. Again, I had detailed logs for them because by the time I got it there, it was settled down and it hadn't set the CEL or stored any codes. They said it looked clean when I got it there. I handed them the detailed logs as proof, the freezeframe info showing it was ignition, and that all else was within normal operating parameters.

Neither the 2021 GC 3.6 nor my 2022 JT 3.6 ever exhibited any ticking.
The JT only set the CEL a couple of times. One time it was misfiring so hard/bad that I was afraid it was going to die, but it never set the CEL! The only times it did trigger the CEL was when I couldn't even feel or hear the misfire, it appeared smooth. It was counter to expectations.

Anyway, both cases resolved.
The Grand Cherokee with spark plugs, the Gladiator with a forced learn of CCDIFF.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Neither the 2021 GC 3.6 nor my 2022 JT 3.6 ever exhibited any ticking.
The JT only set the CEL a couple of times. One time it was misfiring so hard/bad that I was afraid it was going to die, but it never set the CEL! The only times it did trigger the CEL was when I couldn't even feel or hear the misfire, it appeared smooth. It was counter to expectations.
Same thing happened to me. I was able to show video of the truck shaking with a terrible knocking sound. The dealer could not reproduce the issue and no error was stored. The intermittent nature made it a pain to diagnose.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got it back from the dealer earlier this week and the work states:

* 14761 check engine light is on code P0300 Calibration: 2022 JT 3.6 PCM 850RE 4.10AR 97MPH Rubicon 4:1 Transfer Case 50 State Flashing from current part number 05149315AC to targeted part number 05149315AD

I was advised that the timing is off, hence the occasional CEL. If the light goes off again they will be tearing into the engine Apparently, Jeep advised them that it would not be necessary for a verification before looking at the cams and camshafts. The service advisor didn’t seem to think that the software update would fix it.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 soon to be traded for a JL
I've been through the same situation.. last Summer they inspected the cams and relearned. It's been fine for 10 months now a couple days ago it's returned. Very frustrating. I've been told to have the oil analysis done as well. As they had not seen any issue with the cams the first time. We'll see what happens from here

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang - I haven’t seen the warning light since the timing was updated; however, it’s not encouraging to see that your issue came back!
Sponsored