Sponsored

Parts is parts

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
GM did the same.
Is GM retroactively installing after the fact? The few GM vehicles I have seen that have been de-contented features due to chip shortage, they have just been giving a partial price credit.
Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
You guys ain't seen nuttin' yet.
Chips - lasers make them.
Guess what gas is used in the lasers used to make computer and electronic chips in general?
It's neon.
Guess where the U.S. gets 90% of the neon............... think bombs dropping, shooting in the streets, missiles, etc. (no, cut it out, not Chicago!)

And guess where we get 1/3 of another item that can be used to make chips - palladium.........
Think the bomber, the shooter, the ones firing the missiles.
Well it's a damn good thing everyone is switching to LED lights instead of neon lights. Because LED lights are made in... oh. I guess that's not "better."

Lasers can be made out of anything. Magnifying glass. Brains.

/s, in case anyone was confused.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Well it's a damn good thing everyone is switching to LED lights instead of neon lights. Because LED lights are made in... oh. I guess that's not "better."

Lasers can be made out of anything. Magnifying glass. Brains.

/s, in case anyone was confused.
HAHA - I know you are messing around.................. but in case anyone is still blaming the pandemic and insisting this all should be over by now - they ignore the whole world around them, anyone wondering what the heck I'm talking about - and can handle my ADHD wandering mind taking random turns, here's some reasoning behind what I posted ->

Think it's the pandemic or other conspiracies? (PLEASE NO POLITICS, I'm just tossing out FACTS and reasons here, nothing political!!!!!)
Ukraine supplies more than 90% of the U.S.’s semiconductor-grade neon, a gas integral to the lasers used in the chip-making process.
Russia supplies 35% of the U.S.’s palladium. Palladium is a rare metal that can be used to create semiconductors. Imagine trying to mine and produce it here.......

Why the U.S. doesn’t figure out that this might be a good idea to manufacture the stuff here in the U.S. I won't go there...........

Neon is produced from air in cryogenic air-separation plants.
Global neon prices jumped by about 600% after the 2014 Russian annexation of Crimea, spurring some chip manufacturers to start shifting away from Russian and Ukrainian suppliers and toward suppliers in China. So before the pandemic, we were already seeing some unrest in this area of the market - raw materials for chips. So now we deal with China to get a raw material needed to make chips that help our jets fly and our cars go.

The 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine shut down two companies in Ukraine that produce about half of the global supply, and is likely to exacerbate the COVID-19 chip shortage, which may further shift neon production to China.

But what's neon got to do with computer and electronics chips?
Neon is used in the step that involves using lasers to draw features onto the silicon wafers - part of the 'lithography' stage of chip manufacturing.
Chipmakers account for 75% of global demand for neon, with the remainder going to industrial lasers and Lasik eye surgery.
No neon, or neon prices skyrocket, chip prices jump or - they become in short supply.

There were already issues with the pandemic, short supply of skilled workers and factory shut-downs, but add what happens in another part of the world into the mix and it don't get any better.

Believe it or not, what some other country does that you THINK or mistakenly believe has zip to do with your truck actually may impact it - almost directly.

I'm not placing blame or hinting at blame or suggesting anything at all other than perhaps people - some people anyway - aren't looking far enough to find "reasons" for things.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
HAHA - I know you are messing around.................. but in case anyone is still blaming the pandemic and insisting this all should be over by now - they ignore the whole world around them, anyone wondering what the heck I'm talking about - and can handle my ADHD wandering mind taking random turns, here's some reasoning behind what I posted ->

<snip global economy things>

I'm not placing blame or hinting at blame or suggesting anything at all other than perhaps people - some people anyway - aren't looking far enough to find "reasons" for things.
The company I work for is getting hit on the chemical side and hit even harder on some hardware. Specialized lag bolts are 20 week wait. Not good in a construction economy.

I have a friend who works for a lumination company. The LED suppliers aren't taking any new orders. His company had some new products they wanted to launch and they couldn't get the components.

All that trickles down to the end consumer.

Now, if people could imagine what the lead time is for all the stuff they order... then everyone can get on the same page. Or at least reading the same book.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The company I work for is getting hit on the chemical side and hit even harder on some hardware. Specialized lag bolts are 20 week wait. Not good in a construction economy.

I have a friend who works for a lumination company. The LED suppliers aren't taking any new orders. His company had some new products they wanted to launch and they couldn't get the components.

All that trickles down to the end consumer.

Now, if people could imagine what the lead time is for all the stuff they order... then everyone can get on the same page. Or at least reading the same book.
Can't give a wow and a like at the same time, so this will have to suffice.........

Sponsored

Midnight Rider

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, RIP.
Occupation
Senior Construction Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
Deploying the chair may have been premature on my part, so…

Jeep Gladiator Parts is parts 7427F0D4-B156-4C7A-85BD-BEBE866B5F54

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And he whips it back in........... hmmm, doesn't sound quite right.
Is that an unchair?

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
So, TL:DR, whaaaat?
Were they saying anything of Jeep value?
Sponsored