Proximity keys on Sport S

UglyViking

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 & 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Hey all, wanted to see if there was anyone that knew about the proximity keys for order guide. It seems on the jeep site that you can't add proximity keys to the Sport S, only the overland and above. However the Overland doesn't offer max tow. So I'm sitting here, looking at the Sport S as having everything I want, except for the proximity key, and the Rubicon that has everything, except for a lower payload and a lot more expensive with no discounts from FCA.

I don't understand how this is even an option and not just included on anything above Sport. I get sport having rolling windows and all, but keyless is basically the automatic windows of the modern age. Am I really going to have to spend 6k more and lose out on a 2k discount because FCA doesn't offer this on the Sport S? Please tell me it's possible just not on the site.
Sponsored

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Hey all, wanted to see if there was anyone that knew about the proximity keys for order guide. It seems on the jeep site that you can't add proximity keys to the Sport S, only the overland and above. However the Overland doesn't offer max tow. So I'm sitting here, looking at the Sport S as having everything I want, except for the proximity key, and the Rubicon that has everything, except for a lower payload and a lot more expensive with no discounts from FCA.

I don't understand how this is even an option and not just included on anything above Sport. I get sport having rolling windows and all, but keyless is basically the automatic windows of the modern age. Am I really going to have to spend 6k more and lose out on a 2k discount because FCA doesn't offer this on the Sport S? Please tell me it's possible just not on the site.
The Sport S comes standard with remote locks where you have to press a button on the remote, which they call proximity. If you want keyless proximity, where you just walk up with the key on your person, touch the door handle, and then they unlock, you have to add it yourself to a Sport S or upgrade to the Overland/Rubicon. There's been limited success on the JL side for that.

All of my parts are supposed to be in tomorrow with the exception of the cable to use the Jscan app. I'm trying to get away with doing this as cheaply as possible. I have also reached out to Tazer since I already have one about adding the feature there. If both of those fail, my dealer as agreed to add the GXD code to my Jeep.

I plan on doing a write up if it works, and if it doesn't I will report that as well.

OP
OP

UglyViking

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Sport S comes standard with remote locks where you have to press a button on the remote, which they call proximity. If you want keyless proximity, where you just walk up with the key on your person, touch the door handle, and then they unlock, you have to add it yourself to a Sport S or upgrade to the Overland/Rubicon. There's been limited success on the JL side for that.

All of my parts are supposed to be in tomorrow with the exception of the cable to use the Jscan app. I'm trying to get away with doing this as cheaply as possible. I have also reached out to Tazer since I already have one about adding the feature there. If both of those fail, my dealer as agreed to add the GXD code to my Jeep.

I plan on doing a write up if it works, and if it doesn't I will report that as well.
I'm very interested in seeing if this can be added reliably outside the factory with FCA parts. As much as I want a rubicon from my childhood love of them I really don't need the extras it comes with, vs the Sport S, especially the decreased payload (not sure why that is anyway).

Outside of that, what do you mean by the bolded text above?

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
My intent is to do this as cheaply as possible by using the Tazer or Jscan. That also makes it much more repeatable since every dealer isn't willing to work with the customers.

In order to get proximity to work with the computer, it has to have the sales code for the option associated with the VIN in the computer. That's what happens when the Tazer enables aux switches or LEDs. When the dealer flashes the computer to make it happen it goes off the option sales code, and for proximity that is GXD.

OP
OP

UglyViking

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My intent is to do this as cheaply as possible by using the Tazer or Jscan. That also makes it much more repeatable since every dealer isn't willing to work with the customers.

In order to get proximity to work with the computer, it has to have the sales code for the option associated with the VIN in the computer. That's what happens when the Tazer enables aux switches or LEDs. When the dealer flashes the computer to make it happen it goes off the option sales code, and for proximity that is GXD.
Ah, ok I wasn't aware that the dealer could even do that. I know with my current GMC there isn't a way for any dealer to flash anything related to what the truck has, all of it must be done aftermarket.

Def looking forward to hearing back. If this is something that I can add myself, even if it costs me 2x in parts over the factory option, it's still gonna save me like 7k.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I'm very interested in seeing if this can be added reliably outside the factory with FCA parts. As much as I want a rubicon from my childhood love of them I really don't need the extras it comes with, vs the Sport S, especially the decreased payload (not sure why that is anyway).

Outside of that, what do you mean by the bolded text above?
softer suspension (fox shocks)
Sponsored