Sponsored

Question about part numbers and the differences between them!

Beazt_253

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Mechanic
Hello everyone, I am in the market for a Gladiator Radiator Closure (Core Support) but I am finding 4 Different part numbers for that specific part
Example :

Part Number: 68292503AD
Supersession(s): 68292503AA; 68292503AB; 68292503AC

On eBay this part is cheaper than at the dealer and I'm wondering if any of them will be compatible with my jeep!
Thanks in Advance
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone, I am in the market for a Gladiator Radiator Closure (Core Support) but I am finding 4 Different part numbers for that specific part
Example :

Part Number: 68292503AD
Supersession(s): 68292503AA; 68292503AB; 68292503AC

On eBay this part is cheaper than at the dealer and I'm wondering if any of them will be compatible with my jeep!
Thanks in Advance
If that is the correct part number, then it is compatible with your Jeep. Whenever there is a minor revision to a part, the last letter is changed to reflect the update.

OP
OP

Beazt_253

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Mechanic
If that is the correct part number, then it is compatible with your Jeep. Whenever there is a minor revision to a part, the last letter is changed to reflect the update.
I see, thanks. im not sure if that's the correct part number is for my jeep due to it being broken to pieces at the crash site. wondering what is different on the other ones, can't really get a good picture to compare them.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Ignore anything changed in the last two letters - the suffix - of a Jeep part number. The "numerical" part is what counts.
People get soooo hung up on the AA, AB, AC and so on and those are almost always meaningless. They are minor revision indicators - perhaps a different finish, perhaps a slightly different tolerance, if electronic, perhaps a slightly different spec in some internal part.
ISO companies must track EVERY little change - even if they change something that makes no difference in the fit or function, it's required that it be documented and tracked using different indicators. Jeep does this with the last two characters of a part number.
The steering gear used as a replacement in my Jeep had a part number ending in AA. Then 5 months later it was replaced due to some internal fault - the number is the same part number but with an AB suffix. I can't tell any difference by looking at it - for all I know they changed from a bearing sealed on one side to a bearing sealed on both sides - and who cares?
I've seen revisions to the numbers because instead of a hole with fine threads and needing a fine threaded bolt, they went with course threads.

Don't get hung up on the SUFFIX - use the part number itself.
Sponsored