Sponsored

Rack/Cap Static weights for RTT

19philly86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I have ordered an XL tent that would fit my family of 4. The tent is 225lbs, I am 215 (wife 150, 85lb kid, 60lb kid). That puts me just under 750 lbs today with the boys only being 7 and 4 (and growing). My question is about static and dynamic weight. I was hoping to get a cap as we (might) have a working dog with us, but a cap is not looking like an option.
Do I not need to factor in everyone's weight for the static weight as we will be in the tent? (different people have told me different answers)
I can't be the only one with big kids. What are you guys doing? Rack with a soft topper looks like it might be my only option..

Would appreciate what you guys could teach me!
Sponsored

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
I have ordered an XL tent that would fit my family of 4. The tent is 225lbs, I am 215 (wife 150, 85lb kid, 60lb kid). That puts me just under 750 lbs today with the boys only being 7 and 4 (and growing). My question is about static and dynamic weight. I was hoping to get a cap as we (might) have a working dog with us, but a cap is not looking like an option.
Do I not need to factor in everyone's weight for the static weight as we will be in the tent? (different people have told me different answers)
I can't be the only one with big kids. What are you guys doing? Rack with a soft topper looks like it might be my only option..

Would appreciate what you guys could teach me!
As I understand it, when the vehicle is moving everything on the rack or cap contributes to the dynamic load. Likewise when you are parked, everything on the rack or cap contributes to the static load. So you will need a rack or cap that can handle 225# dynamic and 735 (plus pooch)# static. Though with growing boys (I also have a couple) you might as well round up to 800# static

OP
OP

19philly86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Thanks,

I thought that was the case. I received an email from a ...leading cap company, that stated the weight of the people on the tent would not count towards static weight. Thank you for clearing that up for me as I was second-guessing everything!
Sponsored