First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I need a swing out rear bumper. I'm going 38s and would love the availability to have 2 spares for my "trips". I love the dual swing out design and the side protectors with built in step. If he is able to redo the handle (easiest) or relocate the camera I'm in. Where are they located? I see you have VA plates.
He is in South Carolina about 30 minutes from Greenville/Spartanburg
Sponsored

OP
OP
cgflyer

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here's the thread I started at Christmas regarding swing-away rear bumper tire carriers - there's a dual swing-away rear bumper posted there too...

screen-shot-2019-12-25-at-9-11-47-am-png.png

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...r-bumper-with-tire-carrier.25845/#post-413287
I saw your thread and looked up this bumper, it is pretty cool and has some unique clasp features. It is definitely a contender, just didn't know about it before I talked to and met Eddy at SOSConcepts...His bumper will likely save you about $200 compared to the one above, but it will all depend on what you want style wise and for expand-ability. Currently I think I will be able to just fit a 37" tire on my carrier, but it will be tight. Eddy will definitely need to further refine the measurements to squeeze an inch or two clearance for anything bigger than 37"...I don't think there are a lot of Tacomas running 37" tires, so his mindset isn't quite in the Jeep mold yet. But so f

OP
OP
cgflyer

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bumping this thread, hoping some of you have reached out to SOS and Eddy to see what he has refined. I am thinking about letting him build a custom one off flatbed with integrated rack...I saw a picture of a AEV Brute with something similar to what I am thinking and I really like it.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Bumping this thread, hoping some of you have reached out to SOS and Eddy to see what he has refined. I am thinking about letting him build a custom one off flatbed with integrated rack...I saw a picture of a AEV Brute with something similar to what I am thinking and I really like it.
I'd look into Norweld personally. I don't think SOS does aluminum and a steel flatbed would be horrifically heavy for these trucks. There's a dealer up in PA and they have a bunch of options and I'd imagine between those and a fab shop doing a little tailoring, you could get what you want without the weight.

OP
OP
cgflyer

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'd look into Norweld personally. I don't think SOS does aluminum and a steel flatbed would be horrifically heavy for these trucks. There's a dealer up in PA and they have a bunch of options and I'd imagine between those and a fab shop doing a little tailoring, you could get what you want without the weight.
SOS actually does do Aluminum, just doesn't advertise much. But they can fab just about anything. It will be a year or two out as I need to save some money for it and give them time to think about it. I'm afraid a typical flat bed would need to be modified quite a bit to allow full articulation of the rear suspension which is why I think going custom from the start is the way to go, but I have time to think about it.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
SOS actually does do Aluminum, just doesn't advertise much. But they can fab just about anything. It will be a year or two out as I need to save some money for it and give them time to think about it. I'm afraid a typical flat bed would need to be modified quite a bit to allow full articulation of the rear suspension which is why I think going custom from the start is the way to go, but I have time to think about it.
Oh damn... I might need to call to see if they can do some custom work if the others don't pan out then.

The problem with a flatbed is as you said, articulation with large tires. It will have to be above your max flex and that might bump the deck height up quite a bit if you plan on 37's or larger with a coilover rear suspension or something.

OP
OP
cgflyer

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
yep, the pictures of the AEV Brute with flatbed I found has essentially what looks like a hollow lower section of bed with built-in cargo/storage and the flatbed itself sits higher with integrated wheel wells. So I would envision something with a slide-out tray that pretty sits over the frame and then flares out over the wheels high enough to allow articulation. It may not be doable on my budget, but one can dream.I have the Ace Engineering Upper Decker on mine now, so I have pretty much lost use of my bed as a truck anyway. The only thing I am reconsidering now is a cap, but I still plan to go topless regularly and I think a cap defeats that plan.

OP
OP
cgflyer

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Another bump...hopefully this post has at least generated some calls and visits to SOS's web page...I know there are competitors selling swing outs now for the JT but they are backed up 6+ weeks on delivery...SOS also has bed racks that will work on the JT. I obviously have my own parts from their competitors, but they are worth looking at for a high clearance rear bumper with swing outs.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Patriot campers makes a flatbed (PCOR) for the gladiator, with integrated rear hitch and lockable storage, plus modules that can be placed on top for storage and integrated tire mounts. might not be what you want, but an option

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Patriot campers makes a flatbed (PCOR) for the gladiator, with integrated rear hitch and lockable storage, plus modules that can be placed on top for storage and integrated tire mounts. might not be what you want, but an option
Yeah but I just can't justify the $10k plus tax and install fees. Plus it's crazy heavy with all those add-ons... a Norweld design can be made to be a wash once you remove the bumper and bed but the PCOR is a couple hundred lbs more than a stock config with a steel rear bumper and a cap.

So I ended up just slapping a cap on the truck which I can in turn toss on top of a trailer in the future when it comes time to sell the Gladiator.