Sponsored

Rear suspension support for towing (to eliminate squat)?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That would definitely incent me to do something if I were you. And if I recall, you tow cars to shows pretty regularly.

Do you have LEDs or halogens?

Which goes back to my original question. How often does he tow this rig, how far, and now that you've mentioned it, is it typically in the daytime or at night.

I have friends who rent a space on Hamonasset beach for the summer in CT. Every June they haul their 30 foot trailer 25 miles from their home. And every September they haul it back. Its hardly worth the hassle in that case.

Contrast that with someone like my dad who hauls a race car 10 weekends per year, often for 300 miles and often at night.
Exactly (to most of the above LOL)
One has to think for themselves as far as their own needs, time of day, frequency and so on.
Most of the time when I return home from a show, it's in the dark after things end on Saturday or Sunday, depending, and it's hours of driving.

I ordered my truck with 100% LED, factory LED all the way around.
Sound like your dad tows a lot more often than I do, and perhaps farther distances many of the times.

Now before anyone jumps "well, just use a WDH!, that's simple!"
Nope, not on an aluminum trailer with aluminum frame and tongue. I've talked to trailer engineers and for some trailers, a WDH can be trouble for the trailer - people don't understand the stresses such a thing applies, stresses that certain parts were not designed to operate under. One engineer went into great detail and when his plane took off and flew over my head I told him thanks, that was good enough for me HAHA. I was not that great at trig and all that stuff.
I did understand what he was saying and he did send me a diagram in email (which I promptly lost after a computer crash - IT guy didn't take his own advice and back up back then)
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly (to most of the above LOL)
One has to think for themselves as far as their own needs, time of day, frequency and so on.
Most of the time when I return home from a show, it's in the dark after things end on Saturday or Sunday, depending, and it's hours of driving.

I ordered my truck with 100% LED, factory LED all the way around.
Sound like your dad tows a lot more often than I do, and perhaps farther distances many of the times.

Now before anyone jumps "well, just use a WDH!, that's simple!"
Nope, not on an aluminum trailer with aluminum frame and tongue. I've talked to trailer engineers and for some trailers, a WDH can be trouble for the trailer - people don't understand the stresses such a thing applies, stresses that certain parts were not designed to operate under. One engineer went into great detail and when his plane took off and flew over my head I told him thanks, that was good enough for me HAHA. I was not that great at trig and all that stuff.
I did understand what he was saying and he did send me a diagram in email (which I promptly lost after a computer crash - IT guy didn't take his own advice and back up back then)
Its interesting that you bring up Aluminum trailers. My dad's trailer is an open aluminum trailer that weighs very little. He hauls either a 240Z or a MG-A. Both are well under 2000 lbs. He tows it with a Ridgeline with a 7500 lb tow limit. So he's well under 3500 lbs. And he doesn't feel any need for a weight distributing hitch or bags. He likes to run 10%+ for tongue weight so it is more stable at speed.

A friend of his tows a similar setup with a Volvo wagon and he has some kind of booster springs in place.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Looking to eliminate squat when I hook up my 3000lb travel trailer.(listed at 400lbs tongue weight). Looking into air bags but also saw Jounce springs? Timbren makes a rear suspension enhancement system. Supposed to be easy to install with little maintenance and super durable. I get how air bags work but is this just a bigger bump stop that will change the unloaded ride? Only haul the trailer once or twice a month so don't need much. Squat isn't bad but you can see it. Anyone have any experience with either option for this scenario?
Gladys w mantis.jpg
In the same gang. You need a weight distribution hitch to transfer that weight towards the front axle. Airbags are great but you need to distribute that weight for better ground contact on the front weight wise. However, if you have an aluminum frame for your trailer you do need to check with the manufacturer when considering a WDH.
Sponsored