Threads
Reaction score
Website
christykintzel.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Alu-Cab Canopy Camper
Occupation
visual designer
Super excited to share my first legit offroad trip with the Gladiator! I've been wanting to do the Rimrocker trail for a while now, and it didn't disappoint. First, here are my Jeep specs:

2021 Sport S
Alu-cab Canopy Camper
Mopar 2" lift
Dobinsons rear 2" heavy duty coil springs (C29-245V) 880-1210 lb. load
Hellwig rear sway bar (7779)
Yeti Steer Smarts XD adjustable front track bar (75040002)
Yukon 4.88 gears (from stock 3.73)
BFG All Terrain T/A KO2s (LT285/70 R17 121R Load Range E)

The trail was long, dusty, rocky and steep (mostly downhill from Montrose to Moab) but I was totally happy with my setup. For the majority of the 150+ miles I stayed in 2WD as it was slow-going, but there are several very steep, loose descents and ascents where I either used 4Hi or 4Lo with Select Speed Control to save my brakes. Absolutely love my Gladiator! I had zero issue with clearance, even on 33's. There was only one really tight spot that left pinstriping from scrub oaks, and water crossings were shallow. I followed my friend in his Ram Power Wagon, so ate a lot of dust. My next mod is definitely going to be a snorkel.

We started the trail in Montrose on a Sunday around noon and drove approximately 60 miles, setting up camp around 5:30PM. This section was mostly downhill and relatively fast, with only 1 or 2 technical sections that required spotting for the Ram. We were the only ones on the trail!

Day 2 was a bit slower, more technical, better views and more traffic coming from Moab. We talked to a guy from OK in a stock TRD 4Runner who told us that from Moab to that point was not technical at all...my advice is to take feedback from others with a grain of salt, as we didn't find that to be true for us going in the opposite direction.

Day 3 was even slower going, some really steep descents and tight switchbacks. Again, tough for the Ram, but the Gladiator is nimble! Once we got down into the final flat stretch closer to Moab, we opened it up and probably went a little too fast as I lost my Trasharoo from the bounce (even aired down to 20lbs.) If you find it, enjoy!

We camped at Sand Flats Recreation Area in Moab and enjoyed an awesome sunset, then headed to Ouray for the rest of the week.

Cannot say enough about how awesome my non-Rubicon Gladiator performed — absolutely love it!

Actual driving time on trail was just under 14 hours for a total of about 146 miles. I averaged 12MPG overall, and carried extra fuel but didn't need it.

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5363

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5368

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5374

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5384

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5395

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5398

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5399

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5402

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5409

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5411

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5424

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5437

Jeep Gladiator Rimrocker Trail — Montrose to Moab in Gladiator Sport S — June 2022 (Pics inside!) IMG_5441

IMG_5363.jpg

IMG_5368.jpg

IMG_5374.jpg

IMG_5384.jpg

IMG_5398.jpg

Sponsored

molevich

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Willys, 21 Indian Scout
Occupation
Management
Awesome to hear about your adventure. I am still debating of doing this at the end of August or the first week of September if not next year definitely.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Fan freakin’ tastic!

we did the trifecta last year… Alpine Loop, Rimrocker and White Rim Trail in a stock Rubicon Gladiator and had a great time. The RR was a little tight close to Moab but other than that it was great.
Thanks for the memories!

Phil Raptor

First Name
PHIL
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeep-camp-system.com
Vehicle(s)
JKU Gazell kit, JLU, GLADIATOR JT RUBICON
Occupation
Expert and builder
Very beautifull 👍

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Nice rig Christy and thanks for posting the write up and pics!

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I'll go probably early August before school starts. I'm glad to read this write up. This trail is on my list.

Awesome to hear about your adventure. I am still debating of doing this at the end of August or the first week of September if not next year definitely.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Awesome, thanks for posting, dreaming of the day I get out there.....Jack
Sponsored