Sponsored

RIPP Supercharger Questions (lots of oil blow by)

Roctavious

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Hello,
For anyone with a RIPP or other Centrifugal supercharger, I have a RIPP on my 2020 JT. I installed it myself, went through 5 tunes with RIPP (ran really rich), and as of now my check engine light hasent been back on…….. however under heavy acceleration (4500rpm and up) I get grey/black smoke out the exhaust. The other more concerning issue is my catch cans. I have a dual catch can setup (sent by RIPP). One goes from the crank case to just after the air filter, the other from the crank to the intake manifold. I emptied both and then departed for Moab (10hrs/600miles) and when I got here my first catch can was almost full, the second 1/4 full. Overall I got over 1 cup of very liquidy oil/gas substance. This doesn’t seem right to me but maybe it just runs really really dirty. Anyone have any similar experiences?

60F90BBE-E55B-4244-9232-57B5EAC100B4.jpeg

C9279043-1698-49C8-BF06-4E3A5EBC8C44.jpeg
Sponsored

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 sport s - 2018 Gx460 - 1992 SC400
Occupation
Construction
I just got mine so I can’t comment too much but I did have a small amount after about 200 miles in catch can.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,
For anyone with a RIPP or other Centrifugal supercharger, I have a RIPP on my 2020 JT. I installed it myself, went through 5 tunes with RIPP (ran really rich), and as of now my check engine light hasent been back on…….. however under heavy acceleration (4500rpm and up) I get grey/black smoke out the exhaust. The other more concerning issue is my catch cans. I have a dual catch can setup (sent by RIPP). One goes from the crank case to just after the air filter, the other from the crank to the intake manifold. I emptied both and then departed for Moab (10hrs/600miles) and when I got here my first catch can was almost full, the second 1/4 full. Overall I got over 1 cup of very liquidy oil/gas substance. This doesn’t seem right to me but maybe it just runs really really dirty. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Jeep Gladiator RIPP Supercharger Questions (lots of oil blow by) C9279043-1698-49C8-BF06-4E3A5EBC8C44

Jeep Gladiator RIPP Supercharger Questions (lots of oil blow by) C9279043-1698-49C8-BF06-4E3A5EBC8C44
Black/gray smoke is fuel.

The pic of the catch can, the lower photo, it mostly water. It's a Starbucks over-priced drink look. Pure oil would look just like you opened the drain on the pan. If it's tan at all, like that, it's a lot of water. So figure what's in that second pic and only a small fraction of that is actually oil.
However, the fact that it's increases and as you say "oil gas substance" says - rich, and it's washing the cylinder walls with fuel which will lead to premature wear of rings and cylinders.

To me, the fact you are getting smoke out the tail and a gas smell in the catch can says - way too rich, may lead to some damage (and if you are still running cats, they will be toast)

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 sport s - 2018 Gx460 - 1992 SC400
Occupation
Construction
Black/gray smoke is fuel.

The pic of the catch can, the lower photo, it mostly water. It's a Starbucks over-priced drink look. Pure oil would look just like you opened the drain on the pan. If it's tan at all, like that, it's a lot of water. So figure what's in that second pic and only a small fraction of that is actually oil.
However, the fact that it's increases and as you say "oil gas substance" says - rich, and it's washing the cylinder walls with fuel which will lead to premature wear of rings and cylinders.

To me, the fact you are getting smoke out the tail and a gas smell in the catch can says - way too rich, may lead to some damage (and if you are still running cats, they will be toast)
Good info to know thanks brother!
Sponsored