Sponsored

Prodigy performance Turbo Vs. RIPP Supercharger....which would you go with?

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Talked to a custom jeep shop owner and he mentioned they were getting great results with the Prodigy turbo. I did a lil research on here and some are saying prodigy turbo's are hit or miss.

The shop owner did tell me that the prodigy turbo produces more power than the supercharger.

For those of you that are in the know, which would you pick if cost was no issue, and why?
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Talked to a custom jeep shop owner and he mentioned they were getting great results with the Prodigy turbo. I did a lil research on here and some are saying prodigy turbo's are hit or miss.

The shop owner did tell me that the prodigy turbo produces more power than the supercharger.

For those of you that are in the know, which would you pick if cost was no issue, and why?
I know Exodus 4x4 did 2 of them, It was either RIPP or Prdigy that they had issues with and ended up pulling out. Might want to check out their videos.

Personally I am waiting on Hamburger to get the mopar certification before I consider going that route, they really seem to be the front runner in terms of support.

Kross

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 W250, 2006 XK
If you doing a little research on Youtube or google youll learn quick to stay away from Prodigy. Litebrite and Exodus both documented their whole ordeal with them, a gigantic mess.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase

I would always go with a supercharger over a turbo. I feel they are more rugged and you get power across the whole power band.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I would not have a turbo on a vehicle I wheel. Supercharger if I was going for forced induction.
Turbo lag is real and I can't imagine trying to control that in a tense trail situation. After driving several big turbo cars it's all .....lag ....lag....lag....WHOOSH.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DirtySaylor

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
If you doing a little research on Youtube or google youll learn quick to stay away from Prodigy. Litebrite and Exodus both documented their whole ordeal with them, a gigantic mess.
YEP. Prodigy is JUNK. Just too many people with bad experiences. Looks like the RIPP supercharger is my bag, baby. Was kicking around the idea of the Hellcat crate engine swap, but then you have to mess with suspension, brakes, intercooler, etc etc etc. I really want the supercharger for passing power and off the line thrills.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Before going power adder be sure to read up on the block design and compression ratio of these motors. 11.3:1 compression is a lot for forced induction especially at higher heat and pressure loads of say a turbo vs a supercharger with lower boost and max boost earlier. Open deck design of the block saves weight and uses less material, again should be something to think about on boost.

I am not trashing the power adder option. Just do homework and pick the one with coolest temps and least amount of boost to handle needs. Heat and compression can lead to detonation suddenly even in modern vvt motors with knock sensors.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
I would not have a turbo on a vehicle I wheel. Supercharger if I was going for forced induction.
Turbo lag is real and I can't imagine trying to control that in a tense trail situation. After driving several big turbo cars it's all .....lag ....lag....lag....WHOOSH.
Modern turbo's don't lag. Not anymore. Variable vane, hybrid setups can net you max boost wherever you want it in the RPM range. Prime example is the Ecoboost motor. K04 turbo's, which is basically a T3/T4 hybrid, produces 15 PSI at 1700 RPM in that application.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Modern turbo's don't lag. Not anymore. Variable vane, hybrid setups can net you max boost wherever you want it in the RPM range. Prime example is the Ecoboost motor. K04 turbo's, which is basically a T3/T4 hybrid, produces 15 PSI at 1700 RPM in that application.
I mean they do if you're going for big power, but you're right... at this point the efficiency is so good you don't need a huge turbo to make good power and being able to run a smaller turbo means they spool almost instantly. I can't say that I'd do a supercharger over a turbo anymore for a daily driver.
Sponsored