First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
Sorry to hear of your troubles.... man thats concerning for sure. Can you expand on the issues experienced by the windows and them leaking please?

Also how do you like that Roof Next? I was thinking of getting the same. Looks bigger than I thought it would be. Can it mount directly to the roof of the canopy or are those cross bars necessary?
The rubber seals they used the the Gen 2 caps are a 2 piece bulb style. As far as I can tell the water was going into the seal through the metal-rubber portion and inside the cap through the bottom. I took photos and sent them to RLD and Adventure ready, but no fix was offered.

I wouldn't reccomend the RoofNest Condor really. It also has poor quality metal that is already rusting. Worse than the RLD because I only had it on the roof for 1 season, not 6 lol. It gets water up the fromt leading edge into the tend skirt and can cause mould. Not a great 4 season tent if you have a rainy climate. The mattress is awful too. Definitely spend extra and get an iKamper instead. I wish I did! That being said, I do love it. Just dissapointed in its quality/value.

As for mounting, there was a lot of customization required
Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
The rubber seals they used the the Gen 2 caps are a 2 piece bulb style. As far as I can tell the water was going into the seal through the metal-rubber portion and inside the cap through the bottom. I took photos and sent them to RLD and Adventure ready, but no fix was offered.

I wouldn't reccomend the RoofNest Condor really. It also has poor quality metal that is already rusting. Worse than the RLD because I only had it on the roof for 1 season, not 6 lol. It gets water up the fromt leading edge into the tend skirt and can cause mould. Not a great 4 season tent if you have a rainy climate. The mattress is awful too. Definitely spend extra and get an iKamper instead. I wish I did! That being said, I do love it. Just dissapointed in its quality/value.

As for mounting, there was a lot of customization required
Ahh ok so you had the gen 2. I think they made even more changes to the gen 3 but time will tell I guess.

dang sucks to hear about the roof nest. I thought it was one of the higher quality ones. I was considering their falcon series, but might shop around a little more then. thanks for the info

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester

Jobe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Ram
I just looked at the hinges on my new RLD. They aren't anything proprietary or special. I could find one at a hardware store that would work. May have to drill new holes for the bolt spacing is all. Havin those exact hinges from RLD isn't THAT big of a deal.

I do agree though it would have been nice if they were stainless hinges and bolts. May have only cost them a few dollars more. As a matter of fact I may just replace the bolts/nuts with stainless eventually.

But I will do preventive maintenance and spray all of the hinges and mounting hardware with Amsoil Metal Protect HD film. They will last a long time then.
First time posting on Forum. What is your take now on the RLD (version 3) now that you’ve had it a couple of more months? Would you get it again? Thoughts from any other owners who have the RLD version 3?

Bumpy Ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
First time posting on Forum. What is your take now on the RLD (version 3) now that you’ve had it a couple of more months? Would you get it again? Thoughts from any other owners who have the RLD version 3?
love Mine! No issues, no complaints… tough as nails and get many compliments.
Jeep Gladiator RLD designs pic request 53F04563-59B3-4D83-963F-683465C3D04A

Sponsored

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
It's been great. Super sturdy and people say how badass it looks. Only thing is metal painted black gets HOT in the sun... as to be expected. I plan to do some insulation on the inside I think.

Jobe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Ram
It's been great. Super sturdy and people say how badass it looks. Only thing is metal painted black gets HOT in the sun... as to be expected. I plan to do some insulation on the inside I think.
Nice to have more positive feedback on the RLD! I think this is the route I’m going to take. I’ll probably be putting white vinyl wrap on the top as I live in Florida (I think it was on this forum that I saw someone doing this with their RSI).

IzzyO

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
All assembled. I’m still stock and have 91” of garage door space.

Thanks for posting this. I like how you were able to mount this with such a low profile. What cross bars are you using for the tent?

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Thanks for posting this. I like how you were able to mount this with such a low profile. What cross bars are you using for the tent?
Depending on your tent, and your comfort level, you can bolt the tent directly to the RLD canopy. That's what I did - it did require drilling 6 3/4" holes in the honeycomb alum base, and filling with RTV the stock cross bar mounts. But it opted for a great low profile, low weight option. In the future, this will always be what I strive for. Having a tent, on top of cross bars, on top of a rack, on top of a canopy just is silly. No reason for that aside from manufacturers not trying to find a way to play nice with each other.

Jeep Gladiator RLD designs pic request IMG_0190

Jeep Gladiator RLD designs pic request IMG_0192

Jeep Gladiator RLD designs pic request IMG_0191
Sponsored