Rubicon Rails Enough?

jnack

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTD
I'm coming from a Tacoma where one of my first mods were frame mounted rock sliders weighing nearly 100lb per side...things were stout. I've got a Rubicon and I was wondering how capable/durable are the rock rails that come with the rubicon?

I realize the rubicon rails are body mounted which isn't confidence inspiring to me...but hey, it's "trail-rated", right? Whats your experience using the rubicon rails for their intended purpose?
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Well, it really depends on what you are doing with them. Being body mounted, they will flex, so you need to understand their limits. They will take some significant abuse, but if you play in the rocks you will eventually hit them hard enough for them to flex into the body. On my JK, I find them to be a good compromise between protection and ground clearance, BUT my rockers are dented in from them. I remove them occasionally to chip the cracked paint off the body and touch it up.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I recommend Rock Hard sliders which mount to the pinch welds, bosses on the bottom of the tub, and body mounts. I do not prefer frame mounted for 3 reasons: the frame is thin, it is high strength steel that should not be modified, and the leverage on the frame from hitting the rail on a big rock would be tremendous.

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
Well I can vouch to denting the rocker panels even with the rubicon rails. The longer wheelbase on narrow rocky trails leaves them more exposed. That was one of the main reasons I went with rock hard’s angled up sliders. On the Dobermam Mine trail outside of Joshua Tree on this vid at minute 4:12 is where it went down for me.

Once you’ve got that 1st dent or big scratch it’s liberating! :crying::like:
Sponsored